PDA

View Full Version : Some spoons that I have made

Olly
25-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Here are some spoons that I have made, my first spoon is on the right and the most recent is on the left. The woods are from right to left - gorse, oak, cherry, cherry (spoon fork and spreader) red oak, yew (I think - it was a piece lying in a hedgerow), cherry and birch. My favourite woods so far are cherry and birch, very nice to carve and the cherry smells lovely. The red oak is interesting to carve, seems to vary throughout the grain in hardness and coarseness. I am have made a few pieces out of it because the nature reserve near me is a former red oak plantation and they are thinning it out to increase the biodiversity at the moment so there is loads to be easily had!

A bit of detail of a yew spoon showing the nice colouration.

The back of my large birch spoon. I made this one while visiting friends in Norway who took us up to their cabin for a day - see pic below (note the 4 year old being allowed to have a go at a bit of whittling, after a bit of instruction and warning from his father - great stuff). I wanted to make a nice deep spoon as a bit of practice for when I get around to making a kuksa. I might post some more pics of the day later if anyone is interested.

Tony1948
25-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Great work ollyT^

wilf
26-01-2013, 04:52 PM
nice work :happy-clapping:

Ehecatl
26-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Superb. I must try and have a go myself this year. No! I WILL have a go myself this year.

M@

BJ
26-01-2013, 05:02 PM
nicely finished. well doneT^

shepherd
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
great work, i love the one 4th from the right... has charachter...

Matt

snowleopard
09-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Very nice spoons there!

Joel

butchthedog
09-05-2013, 02:43 PM
They all look good to me T^

Hopey
05-06-2013, 08:07 PM
I need to learn how to do this.............. Great post and good work

luresalive
05-06-2013, 08:35 PM
super stuff, well done

El
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Spoontastic!

MadZ
05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
hey hey, nice kit here i would recommend looking into the yew a little though as it can be toxic in some cases i know the dust from yew when turned on a lathe is unpleasant to the eyes nose and throat, so might have some effect if being used for food stuffs, looks lovely though.

as for your comment about the oak being harder in places than in others, this could be caused due to the actual structure of the wood itself if you look very close at oak you will see small openings in a circular shape like little veins, they are open and porous this might be what you are feeling when carving it the change between the wood, sorry cant remember exactly what the names are of the changes is the oak

also a nice little trick you could try on the oak is to mix some vinegar with iron oxide (rust) and paint it onto the oak and see what happens, try on a test piece first as you might not like what happens with the color change.

hope this info is of some use to you

cheers MadZ