PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys and gals store your packs while hammocking

Tigger004
29-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I went on a overnighter on my own saturday night, lovely light night with the snow everywhere and not too cold either,

Due to snow on the ground I hooked up my back pack to a tree with a bungee, then during the night the heavens opened, I awoke and all signs of snow were gone due to the heavy rain,

water had run down the tree and was guided to my pack due to the downward hang of the bungee, needless to say some made it in my pack, the ground was very muddy and sticky,

Question what do you lot do with your Packs?

couple of pictures of set my up

Silverback
29-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I put it in a large poly bag like a fertiliser sack (you can get green ones) and leave it under my hammock that way I can put stuff on top of it

Johnnyboy1971
29-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I normally have two or three of the really heavy duty refuse sacks and will put my bergen into one of those and leave it on the floor. I also have a waterproof bergen cover that i place over it and hang it on the trunk my hammock is tied to.

JonnyP
29-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Under me..

Martin
29-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Same as Jonny. Mine goes under me. I normally have a poncho on the floor under my hammock and all my kit goes on there. :)

Martin

Ehecatl
29-01-2013, 09:17 PM
I keep one of those orange survial bags in my rucksack. I partially unfold it and place in under my hammock and then put the pack on it. If placed correctly, there will be a spare bit you can tread on to make it easier to put boots off and on.

I know some swingers use one of the mesh hammocks underneath their sleeping hammock for storage.

Or just leave it in the car :happy-clapping:

M@

FishyFolk
29-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Yep, under me. I suppose I could stuff it in a bin liner if I was really worried about the weather.

Paul De Fitter
29-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Under me on a sheet of plastic or bin liner, also if I have time , I make a tripod to hang kit from, if you can find 3 sticks with forks or multiple branches at the top, you'll have plenty of hanging spot's.

Tigger004
29-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas, I like the tripod idea but I use a small tarp, will take a big plastic sack next trip and try that (well that's if we get anymore rain this year.....lol),

f0rm4t
29-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I knock up a quick tripod and hang it on that, under my foot end. If not, it sit's on my ground sheet.

alvino78
29-01-2013, 11:03 PM
same as .. under my hammock on a tarp/poncho with my waterproof jacket over it all snug, did see a vid once where a lad utilised a spare run of para between the trees under his hammock and twisted a walking stick in to make a tripod type holder upper!!! was cool!

Kernowek Scouser
29-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Same as several above, under me on a poncho/tarp.

Old Guard
30-01-2013, 09:25 AM
virtually under my hammock (usually slightly to one side) I place ruck on a platform of stones, or wood, to raise it up incase of rain flowing through and cover it with plastic bag

jacko1066
30-01-2013, 12:10 PM
You have just given me a great idea for keeping my pack dry thanks chaps.

I usually have a space blanket type thing under me and put my pack on it, but I hate leaving it on the floor and last weekend it got quite wet.

I think I'm gonna try using a black bin liner but put it over the top so the hole is at the bottom then bungee it to a tree!!

Thanks chaps

treefrog
30-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Hey you guys, they make these great things called 'tents'...you should check them out....:D

AL...
30-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Hey you guys, they make these great things called 'tents'...you should check them out....:D

HAHAHA!!!
There goes me coffee all over the screen again!

Cheers
AL

f0rm4t
30-01-2013, 12:58 PM

TAKE HIM!
:war:

JonnyP
30-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I used to use a net hammock that went under my sleeping hammock, to put all my stuff in and keep it off the ground.

jus_young
30-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Hang it from the end of the hammock.

I have placed it on the floor using the rucksack cover but if it looks like its really going to be wet then I hang it at the head end of my hammock using a 'biner clipped to the stainless ring. It keeps droughts away and lowers the head end stopping me slipping down the hammock.

Tigger004
31-01-2013, 10:39 PM

I have placed it on the floor using the rucksack cover but if it looks like its really going to be wet then I hang it at the head end of my hammock using a 'biner clipped to the stainless ring. It keeps droughts away and lowers the head end stopping me slipping down the hammock.

That will be worth a try next time out....so simple I had over looked it like most of the others it seems,

Does anyone or has anyone else hung them from the hammock suspension, if so let me know your thoughts, ta very much

Silverback
31-01-2013, 10:49 PM
That will be worth a try next time out....so simple I had over looked it like most of the others it seems,

Does anyone or has anyone else hung them from the hammock suspension, if so let me know your thoughts, ta very much

I'm off on a 2 dayer this weekend...I'll give it a try

Ehecatl
31-01-2013, 10:53 PM
I wish you a pleasent trip. We're up north to see our daughter at uni but unfortunately are not camping :mad2:

Silverback
31-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I wish you a pleasent trip. We're up north to see our daughter at uni but unfortunately are not camping :mad2:

hope so weather looks poor for tomorrow

jus_young
31-01-2013, 11:16 PM
With the Sargasso tarp from TW being 3.6m long then I will definately be hanging the pack more often. Loads of cover with room to spare :)

Tigger004
01-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Have a great weekend Sapper, let me know how you get on and thanks for the offer of trialing it, jeff

f0rm4t
01-02-2013, 08:30 AM

I like this idea. I'm always grabbing the head of my hammock and pulling my body back up! I'll try this next time I'm out.

Nice tip!
T^

Silverback
01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Have a great weekend Sapper, let me know how you get on and thanks for the offer of trialing it, jeff

Well for a start its been cut to an overnighter now thanks to an administrative oversight

Woody
29-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Funny zombies get you in the end..
[emoji23]

David_JAFO
29-05-2016, 05:58 AM
hello,
My kits always within arms reach of where my basha is..
Regards
David

MikeWilkinson
06-09-2016, 10:07 PM
I sling a second net hammock of my hammock and stuff all my gear in there. Off the ground and within reach.

Pootle
09-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Mine goes on the ground under me. I have a 1m *2 m groundsheet from pound land that it goes on which also (as someone said above) gives me somewhere dry to stand.
The groundsheet is very thin and folds up to nothing, so lives in my bag. The most useful thing I've ever bought for a quid I reckon

BirchFire
11-03-2017, 09:47 PM
It depends on the weather with me. If I'm expecting rain it's under the hammock that is under a tarp at this point. If it's fine I just hang it on one of the trees! :) I can't say I put it on anything but it's never been that bad to put it on a sheet to protect it from wet ground.

jus_young
15-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Hang mine at the end of the hammock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMark
26-03-2017, 08:33 PM
I haven't used one personally, but I've been interesting in trying out the ENO underbelly gear sling. (https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/underbelly.html)

Sundowner
07-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Mine goes anywhere I can chuck it. It's one of these orange coloured drybags but as a rucksack. Also very good in the canoe.............come to think of it.......that's where I got the idea from in the first place. It's an awful colour for this 85 litre thing and I'm sure I look like a n@b but at least I won't lose it in The woods :wink: