PDA

View Full Version : Using fire

Edwin
15-01-2011, 11:47 AM
We all seem to love fire and work out ways of constraining it and using it, by properly built campfires or stoves or with fire bowls. But, is it actually part of our kit? What I mean by this is that if one looks at "primitive" shelters a fire is an integral part of their performance and even enabling one to sleep without a covering but in comfort.

Yamana Indians in Tierra del Fuego even had fires on their canoes as did some Prehistoric Stone Age dugout boat users in Denmark. The Yamana wore no clothes mostly and warming themselves by a fire was their solution in even freezing conditions.

If we want to make fire our extra blanket should we reexamine our kit? Artificial fibres do not behave well near fires, unlike wool or cotton but especially wool. Wool doesn't melt under heat or catch fire very readily. Cuddled up to the fire one would like to be more impervious to sparks.

Perhaps there is a way of using the Hobo Stove, for example without intimate contact with the fire itself: by spreading the heat from it with a directional back piece, filling a hot water bottle, heating large stones, whatever.

What do we do, or could do, to use this free resource?

paul standley
15-01-2011, 06:09 PM
inverting another same diameter tin can which is punched full of small holes over the top of a hobo stove fueled by wood, meths or whatever can produce a good amount of heat as the top can heats up but allows exhaust gases to get out of the hobo stove and the top can acts like a chimney drawing the flames up into it.

Funnily enough, I made a mock up of this just today with a small hobo stove and works a treat. Wasn't out to do it, just did it as a by product of another stove test i was doing. I was surprised how the flame is drawn up through and how much heats is pumped out. Leave the bottom intact in the top can so the flames can heat it up, don't cut it off. So, one end closed, the other open.

Paul

Fletching
15-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Probably work even better with a gasifier then?

paul standley
15-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Probably work even better with a gasifier then?

Could well do.

By way of observation - I did notice that at times, the hot air coming out of some of the small holes in the top can did ignite which is classic gassification showing efficient re-use of the hot gases.