PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits are back

Bushdoctor
09-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi guys.
Took a walk around one of my shooting permissions on the last day of the season (got dinner). There have been no rabbits on this ground for the past 4 or 5 years due
a bad bout of myxie. Now at last there are suddenly loads of fresh diggings and piles of droppings all the way along the edge of the wood (about half a mile) which made my day.
Given a half decent spring breeding season and no more myxie, there will hopefully be plenty of work for the Daystate and CZ.
Let you know later how I get on. All for now.
Cheers
Doc.

Tony1948
09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Thats not a rabbit mate,it's a duck:happy-clapping:

Bushdoctor
09-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Thats a relief didnt think rabbits could fly.

andy202wr
10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Good news.

JonnyP
10-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Thats not a rabbit mate,it's a duck:happy-clapping:

Nice one Tony, that made I laugh :0)

Are there others with permission on the land Bushdoctor..?

Bushdoctor
11-02-2013, 02:11 PM
No just me and Mrs Doc, we have sole sporting rights.We run this land as a small informal pheasant and duck shoot and invite our local farmer friends.We do all our own gamekeeping. All the local

farmers then come to us for help when they have a vermin problem. It keeps us quite busy. We get a lot of help on shoot days from a relative who breeds and trains gun dogs (ESS) and often

trains his dogs on our shoot.

Cheers.

Doc.

JonnyP
11-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Sounds ideal chap. Rabbit is a good meat eh..
As soon as it stops raining, I need to go and shoot some. The freezer is getting low of them.

rawfish111
11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Must get out and do more shooting! Work doesn't half get in the way sometimes!

Bushdoctor
13-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Pigeon is also good meat, went out yesterday afternoon in my own little wood ( yes I own this bit ) with my brother-in-law to try for a pigeon with the daystate huntsman,(managed to get a couple).
There have been no rabbits in this wood for a while although there are some on the surrounding farm land which I have permission to shoot,but got the culprit a week or two ago,there is a small stream
running through the wood which he must have been using. So now hopefuly there will be a few rabbits moving back in soon. Anybody else had any problems with mink ?.
Cheers.
Doc.

rawfish111
13-02-2013, 04:42 PM
One of the nicest stews I had in a long time was a pigeon giblet stew many years ago.

Hope you got his friends too or it'll be a very tiny coat! I've heard the mink are doing loads of damage all over the place gotta love the animal rights nutters!

Sar-ian
13-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi, in my local area, the rabbit population has been desimated by mixxie and foxes... The foxes are a-bit of a night-mare as they've started raiding bins, and getting very bold. Hopefully thats taking the pressure of the rabbits and there are signs they are making a come-back, happy hunting guys.....

Bushdoctor
14-02-2013, 11:11 AM
This is what happens when people dont dispose of waste food properly or start feeding foxes in their back gardens. Then they complain when the fox becomes a problem. they forget that foxes
are a wild animal not a domestic pet.
Good hunting.
Doc.

Sar-ian
14-02-2013, 12:06 PM
You are so right, I'm tried of trying to explain this, not wishing to tar them with the same brush, but townies don't realise the harm they are doing. How many u-tube vids do you see "A FOX IN MY GARDEN, HOW CUTE". Until said fox kills their cat, empties rubbish all over the garden, and starts barking at daft o'clock.... Oh to win the lottery and buy my own forrest......

rawfish111
14-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Exactly right both, I got some right funny looks when ranting about this in work after that nipper had his fingers chomped in the paper. Bins are a pain in the arris but the idiots are getting foxes that tame they'll have a go at kids! *shakes head*

Bushdoctor
16-02-2013, 03:04 PM
This one used to sit outside my office window and harrass staff and patients for food, it was not liked when I instructed staff not to feed it. A while later it was hit by a car on the main road,
caused a nasty accident.

Stuio2180
02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Sounds ideal chap. Rabbit is a good meat eh..
As soon as it stops raining, I need to go and shoot some. The freezer is getting low of them.

Hi I'm in looe do you know anybody that's wants some vermin control doing I got a 22 air rifle and no land to shoot on at the min any help would be great thanks

Silverback
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Hi I'm in looe do you know anybody that's wants some vermin control doing I got a 22 air rifle and no land to shoot on at the min any help would be great thanks

Welcome to the forum...please drop by the new members intro thread and say hi to the community - whilst there could you familiarise yourself with the forum ettiquette

shepherd
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Must get out and do more shooting! Work doesn't half get in the way sometimes!

+1... will be out with the ferrets too when i get chance .. will let the baby rabbits grow on abit first though.. or ill be digging lots