PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on how to start.

Luke
19-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi there, I'm new.

I am planning on preparing myself to get out there and live from nature as most I can. I'm tired of the necessity for work, money and luxuries.
I've umm'd and ahh'd for a long time, procrastinated for more than I planned. I really just need some advice on how to get my foot into living the wild life.

I've looked into courses which teach bushcraft and the like, but good god, they are EXPENSIVE. More than I want to pay for such a short time anyway..
So should I just pick up a book and head out there? Practice the techniques everyday for awhile, then slowly starting extending the time I stay out there, until eventually I start spending the nights, then the weekends etc?

How did you learn to become self-reliant?

Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

FishyFolk
19-02-2013, 01:50 PM
The short answer is: http://www.youtube.com/

What is not there is not worth knowing. But of course you have to go out yourself and practice. Then you come back here and ask what you did wrong ane learn from that.
And join some kind of organisation. Her ein Norway that would be one like this (http://english.turistforeningen.no/), that go on walks and spend time outside. What will happen is that you will meet people that will love to teach you things. Or simply join one of the Natiral Bushcraft meets. I am sure there are plenty people there that would love to share their knowledge with you.

wildish64
19-02-2013, 01:58 PM
i would recommend learning and practicing as much as you can first, jumping in the deep end could very soon leave you in a very wet,cold,hungry uncomfortable and not to mention dangerous place.

just start with the basics and become proficient and comfortable with them,it wont take long before you will be adding to your mental toolkit.

i started learning about what tree is what and their different uses but even this subject alone will keep you busy,from what they can provide for food,containers,cordage and fire lighting just for a start,then there's learning to recognize them in the winter without their foliage,alongside that there are the plants etc etc.

bushcraft covers a multitude of skills and knowledge which is a never ending learning curve with always something new to learn.

books,video and the friendly wisdom of the members on here should keep you going and set you in the right direction.

in reality becoming self reliant is a lot of hard work and you have to weigh up the practicalities of some aspects of it.

but hey,they say a journey of a thousand miles starts by putting your shoes on :D

Sar-ian
19-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi Luke, depending on where you live, go on a few gatherings, and try and contact members in your local area.

There is a wealth of knowledge on the forum and on-line, check out Dave Canterbury's you-tube channel.

Listen, learn, practice, perfect, the skills required to live "free".

Depending on how old you are, and this is really out there in left field, join the forces and let them teach you survival skills and self reliance, they have some of the best instructors in the world, as they have "done it for real".

Living of the land is seriously hard work, a simple mistake can have serious consequences, but hey I love nothing more than being outside, as it allows time to set straight my head, all the best and good luck Ian....

Silverback
19-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi Luke, depending on where you live, go on a few gatherings, and try and contact members in your local area. There is a wealth of knowledge on the forum and on-line, check out Dave Canterbury's you-tube channel. Listen, learn, practice, perfect, the skills required to live "free". Depending on how old you are, and this is really out there in left field, join the forces and let them teach you survival skills and self reliance, they have some of the best instructors in the world, as they have "done it for real". Living of the land is seriously hard work, a simple mistake can have serious consequences

Seconded !

Stamp
19-02-2013, 03:46 PM
It's great that you have aspirations and have a goal but.....

It will be a long time before you are capable of sustaining yourself for any length of time. I think it was last year when a guy died in scotland after trying to survive off the land, I believe he was found in a shelter?

As others have said, youtube is great but learning from an instructor, friend, local meets and so on are the best way of learning. Not all courses are expensive, if you can get to wiltshire try Natures Carft.

Luke
19-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi guys thanks for the great replies.

Just to put some minds at ease: Don't worry, I wouldn't do anything that would put my life at serious risk. I understand it's a huge undertaking and that it is more than many would want to handle. I just think it's the right thing for me. I look at life and try and think about what I want to do with it, people always asking me what I do for a living and all that. I don't get any sparks of enthusiasm for any area of life other than nature and such areas. So it seems to make sense really.. It's the only place I'm willing to commit myself too. It's the only subject I don't feel like I'm wasting my time or energy.

I am going to try and find a bushcraft/survival group in my area. Seems like the best idea to start. These are free local meeting type things I'm guessing?

I'm 21 btw, Live in Surrey but came from Norfolk. (south east england)
I dont know about joining the army. And don't you have to stay on and be deployed? Or can you just go for the training and leave?

I'll have a look into naturescraft :)

Cheers all

David_JAFO
19-02-2013, 04:03 PM
hello,
DITTO :wink:
Regards
David

Seconded !

rawfish111
19-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Bear in mind though, the cost of the training is not just for the day/weekend/week, practised afterwards the skills are there for life so these courses are good value when you look at it.

You could do worse than join the army if that's what you fancy as others have said and not just learn skills but pride and self reliance (again to reiterate) .... No you can't just turn up and do the bits you fancy then blow it off. You may have to do a bit :war: Join the RASC you'll be laughing (Run Away Someones Coming) :D

Stamp
19-02-2013, 05:59 PM
What about the TA? Same training but less likely to come under fire?!

wildish64
19-02-2013, 06:34 PM
they are sacking all the regulars and are encouraging everyone to join the ta....one of the most stupid ideas but there you go.
probably just as likely to be shot at.
if you dont have an 'army frame of mind' and prefer a more less shouty and peaceful approach then it may not be for you

rawfish111
19-02-2013, 06:35 PM
I served as reg and TA but strangely did more tours as TA so it doesn't always work that way.

Luke
19-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Eh, I think I'll pass.

I'll stick with nature haha.

wildish64
19-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Eh, I think I'll pass.

I'll stick with nature haha.

T^

JonnyP
19-02-2013, 08:15 PM
You will learn a lot online, but nothing compares to getting out there and doing it

snowleopard
27-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Look up silverfox bushcraft on YouTube, his videos are amazingT^

SilverBinder
05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
:camping:

Some of were raised by people who didn't call it bushcraft. To them it was day to day living not survival.
You need to start slow and get with others who have experience. (Yes! - YOUTUBE) You will be cold, bug eaten, wet and hungry at times. That is balance and overcome by the good times. Read and reasearch, lord there is enough mateial out there such a Nesmick. Warning about some of the books - they contain questionable information that is not practicle in the field. Practice, practice, practice! Failure is part of the learning process. Good luck and remember - any day in the dirt is a fine and glorious day!

"This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the 'cat' a b*st*rd!"

shepherd
05-06-2013, 03:27 PM
You will learn a lot online, but nothing compares to getting out there and doing it

+1 .. as mentioned earlier Dave Canterbury on youtube has a wealth of knowledge and is great for getting theory behind you... but making sure you put in some dirt time and back it up with practical skills too.

El
05-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Yep you need lots of practice and knowledge, I know of a group of guys that went up to Scotland recently to try this and ended up turning back in a matter of days!

Silverback
05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Yep you need lots of practice and knowledge, I know of a group of guys that went up to Scotland recently to try this and ended up turning back in a matter of days!

T^

MikeWilkinson
05-06-2013, 05:05 PM
As everyone on here has already said, read\watch articles on-line, get hold of a few essential books, Then get out and practice, practice, practice... Then ask for some advice here on what you were doing wrong, then go and practice some more.

For a few good resources check out these threads:-

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?244-Resources-for-Budding-Bushcrafters-and-more-advanced-folk

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?104-Top-Ten-Books-to-have-on-your-bookshelf-or-even-in-your-pack

Mike

Ehecatl
05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
One thing I have and still do practice in the comfort of my own home are knots. The ones I would use outside are now second nature. Sure, Mrs Ehecatl often rolls her eyes as she has to step over paracord in the kitchen but it's worth it! ;)

El
05-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I am now banned from experimenting in "her" kitchen since the hobo stove incident!:campfire:

snowleopard
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi there, I'm new.

I am planning on preparing myself to get out there and live from nature as most I can. I'm tired of the necessity for work, money and luxuries.
I've umm'd and ahh'd for a long time, procrastinated for more than I planned. I really just need some advice on how to get my foot into living the wild life.

I've looked into courses which teach bushcraft and the like, but good god, they are EXPENSIVE. More than I want to pay for such a short time anyway..
So should I just pick up a book and head out there? Practice the techniques everyday for awhile, then slowly starting extending the time I stay out there, until eventually I start spending the nights, then the weekends etc?

How did you learn to become self-reliant?

Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Or you could try Sean Mulhall's channel @ youtube, he was the guy who first got me into bushcraft!