PDA

View Full Version : Striking a spark

Bob W
22-02-2013, 08:40 PM
My pyromaniacal tendencies have taken another fork in the road. I'm now wanting a crack at steel and flint and am in the process of getting a decent steel. I think flint should be reasonably easy to find somewhere around my local coast line or riverbanks.

I had a thought and just wondered if anyone has ever tried to strike a spark using the tang of the svord peasant? Or if it's actually feasible.

wildish64
22-02-2013, 08:46 PM
if its carbon steel it should work,i use the back of my mora blade,works a treat.

as my other knife is stainless i keep a piece of an old file as a striker

paulthefish2009
22-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Yup just tried with mine mate.got sparks,not big ones,you may need to file the back a bit.Paul

Bob W
22-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Cheers lads T^

I did file it a bit to get a better spark off the ferro rod. A walk flint spotting is in order!

CanadianMike
22-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Ya, with flint and steel, you won't get a bunch of large sparks like with a ferro rod, you get a few small colder sparks, so would take a while to get the hang of it, even if practised. Good news is, charcloth once lit, will only blow hotter with wind, so there is a bonus for learning. I've lit quite a few cigs with flint, steel and charcloth, but only tried to make a fire once, resorted to my ferro rod after a few mins.

FishyFolk
22-02-2013, 10:04 PM
If you do not find flint, try and look for quartz. It's the most common mineral on the planet, and sparks just as fine as flint. Just more brittle...

Bob W
22-02-2013, 10:07 PM
I'll be hitting everything I pick up ;)

rawfish111
22-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I'll be hitting everything I pick up ;)

She won't like that...... ooh err

Sorry, couldn't resist.. off now to become more sober :Sorry: