PDA

View Full Version : What's your Multi-Tool

f0rm4t
24-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Looking to buy a decent one.
A Leatherman is the first brand that comes to mind. I know JEEP loves them, if not primarily for quality, then for their customer service if something does go wrong.

But what make and model is yours? ...and would you buy it again?

Silverback
24-02-2013, 09:06 PM
cheap one bought for 4.99 with a fuel purchase deal....no name on it, it works.....sorted

VEV
24-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Mine is a Gerber compact 400 Sport. I love it. Has great scissors and all the other basics you need. You can also open pliers one handed with a flick of the wrist which i have found very handy. Seems to be pretty robust too so far....

JEEP
24-02-2013, 10:01 PM
At work I have a Leatherman Rebar on my desk

As my EDC I have a Leatherman Juice XE6 (bachpack) and a Squirt PS4 (keychain)

As my light EDC (shoulderbag) I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 or PST II

In my fishing bag I have a Leatherman Style CS

When bumbeling about in the Nature I most offten carry my 25'th Anniversary Leatherman Wave on my belt

Im Maria's car we keep a Bacho multitool and a Leatherman Knifeless fuse in the glove compartment

On top of that I have another Leatherman Style CS, a Crunch and a Camo Fuse laying around

Maria has a Gerber Bear Grylls Compact Multitool

Of all of the above tools, the Leatherman Wave and Rebar are my all time favourites - my recommendation is to get whichever of these two you can afford.

jus_young
24-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Leatherman Wave, it just works.

luresalive
24-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Leatherman wave

FishyFolk
24-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Leatherman supertool 300 and Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Multi-Tool

the former sees the most use at is in my get home bag. The Victorinox lives in the shed.

Dave ward
25-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Gerber suspenstion, compact and really good items on it, the pliers are sprung so your not fumberling. I use it regularly on little diy tasks and used it to help fix the car a week ago and its very practical. Hope you find the one for you :)

garethw
25-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Leatherman Blast... worn every day.. just so useful!!!

FishyFolk
25-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Leatherman got one thing going for it, and that is their 25 year warranty. I broke the Phillips screwdriver on my old Leatherman Supertool 200. Sent it in to the Norwegian importer, and a week later a brand new leatherman Supertool 300 was in my mailbox :-)

Jefferson
25-02-2013, 11:39 AM
SOG power assist.

It is brilliant and very heavy duty. I used the cutter on it to cut through barbed wire when my friends dog got tangled up in some and it cut through it with no problems.. would defiantly recommend as the customer service is brilliant too. i got a SOG machete and i used it a few things i shouldn't have and bent the blade. I sent it back on warranty and within a week i had a new machete with some free gifts for my troubles! brilliant service!

also if you do happen to snap your blade and its isn't covered by your lifetime warranty then you can buy the separate blade or which ever part it is that you have snapped.

CanadianMike
25-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Original style Leatherman Wave, carried it daily the past 8 years or so, love it!

f0rm4t
25-02-2013, 01:58 PM
A lot of Leatherman support! Wow!

Do any of the other manufacturers provide multi year guarantees?

Dave ward
25-02-2013, 02:24 PM
With my gerber suspension i have life time guarantee, they give it to all items sold

Kernowek Scouser
25-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I must admit, I think multi tools are a bit like survival tins, a good idea in principle, but a bit of a waste of time for your average British bushcrafter, unless you are expecting to be parachuted in to hostile territory, tasked to complete several clandestine D.I.Y. projects... but that is just me.

I do have a multi tool, a tescos one, which cost around a fiver and it is really handy when I am doing odd jobs around the place, but it just went for a ride in my pack and never got used, so it lives in the shed now.

I do always carry a penknife, similar to the British army one, blade, can opener and a spike, which suit my needs just fine.

So while I'm not going to try and completely discourage you from spending your hard earned cash on a multi tool, I would encourage you to have a good think about what you actually need the tool for, before you part with a not inconsiderable amount of money, for an admittedly quality piece of equipment, which may only possess 10% functionality for your actual outdoor needs.

Atb.

Colin

Scott
25-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Leatherman Charge Ti great tool

rawfish111
25-02-2013, 06:48 PM
I have carried a Leatherman every day for about 5 years in work (£30ish whatever model that is) I work on boats and use it quite often. Never had trouble with rust or bits breaking (apart from the small flathead which got used as a lever) and the blade keeps a decent edge but I do carry a small Opinel too for general knifework.

Before that I used to keep a few cheepies in my kit when I was serving.

Most other tasks though I just use the Mora.

treefrog
25-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I got me a tiny thing called a Gerber Clutch, real small and light for those many-portage canoe trips; little screwdrivers for fixing gear and pliers that remove
fish hooks really well. At our hunt camp though, if anyone does or says something dumb it's..'Dude, you're such a multi-tool'...

nilo52
26-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Leatherman got one thing going for it, and that is their 25 year warranty. I broke the Phillips screwdriver on my old Leatherman Supertool 200. Sent it in to the Norwegian importer, and a week later a brand new leatherman Supertool 300 was in my mailbox :-)
My choice is the SOG Power assist ( I love spring assisted blades, and SOG makes the BEST pliers with compound leverage, it opens buttery smooth out of the box) and the biggest multitool Leatherman makes, the SURGE ! It has the "BEST" everything in my opinion. I got the bit sets and the extension bit and this all fits great in the MOLLE sheath I got for it. With this multitool set I can fix ANYTHING ! HA HA HAAAA :jumping-joy:

AdrianRose
26-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Here's a picture of my favourite and most useful multitool.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/26/yzu2aja2.jpg

I never forget it, it never wears out, and it can do numerous camp tasks.

:) :)

Ade

Silverback
26-02-2013, 08:50 AM

Ade

T^ best one yet....but in my experience they can wear out and occasionally lose attachments......thats where I come in ;)

wildish64
26-02-2013, 10:14 AM
gerber suspension, great tool as mentioned by Dave Ward.

they have a lifetime guarantee,i broke mine about six months ago being a bit too ruff with it,ive had it about 3 years and its never missed a beat.
sent it back recorded delivery and had a new one sent in the same week,very pleased

Hathor
26-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Leatherman wave.

Invaluable for cottage reconstruction work and odd-jobs.

TheOutdoorist
26-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Leatherman Charge, not sure on which type?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-N_RmbT78wmg/UJT4Pkej-MI/AAAAAAAAA8I/iDEyTX-XqI4/s1600/GEDC1080.JPG

Also got the Gerber Evo Multi tool recently but always pick up my leatherman, but it is a great multi tool :)

Sar-ian
26-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Ade

that reminds me of a jingle from a tv advert ..... for hands that do dishes, and feel soft as your face , use mild green......(LOL)

£ 4.99 from ALDI, does what I need it to do... cheers Ian..

claverhouse
26-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Original Leatherman Wave and a Leatherman Micra that lives in my winter jacket

BJ
26-02-2013, 05:24 PM
cheap one bought for 4.99 with a fuel purchase deal....no name on it, it works.....sorted

+1 . does what I need it to.

EJS
24-03-2013, 07:19 PM
gerber suspension, is still on offer at amazon.

would definitely get another its great.

link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gerber-22-01471-Suspension-Multi-Plier/dp/B000EDPT9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364156353&sr=8-1

butchthedog
24-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I have an old ROLSON bought about 15 years ago at Morecambe market, it's slightly uncomfortable to use the pliers when gripping hard owing to the shape of the handles, gloves overcome this. It still looks like new and the blades keep a good edge, I'm very happy with it.

Dale_jonez
25-03-2013, 12:23 AM
i have a £9.99 Stanley multitool that i bought from homebase about 4 months ago, its pretty decent actually , well worth a look indtead of buying one for 5x the price.

someone said to me that its pretty much a Gerber, how true that is i dont know.

although it does look very similar to a few Gerber tools ive seen

Dale_jonez
25-03-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4746-Homebase-Multi-tool-For-%A39-99

thats the link to thread i put up when i bought it

Fraser
25-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Leatherman supertool (over 15 years old now and still going strong)
There's another one in wifes car too.

flint n steel
27-03-2013, 05:11 PM
i have a stanley multitool its amazing just a little on the heavy side!

snowleopard
27-03-2013, 05:17 PM
For me, I carry a SAK for the blades, and a 1.99 go outdoors multi tool for the pliers,

Hope that's helpful,

Joel

nilo52
27-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Leatherman supertool (over 15 years old now and still going strong)
There's another one in wifes car too.

Good to hear !
I hope my Surge lasts that long ! Only thing Fraser , now it's out of warranty ( I think ). However Leathermans have a good reputation , and their built like a tank !

Svedberg
28-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Victorinox Swiss tool spirit - the one with the bread/butter knife. Very ergonomic design - I find it more comfortable to use than the Leatherman wave - and construction is solid. Had some doubts about the knife blade but after a few outings I love it - a bit quirky but it works very well.

chris_leech
04-04-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm starting to get quite a collection going now.

My 'urban' edc is a leatherman juice s2. Small, light and inconspicuous in the pocket. Excellent light use (due to size) pliers, usual flat driver (and mini pry bar) set, excellent pz1 driver, good scissors bottle/tin opener and most importantly....... A uk legal blade.

My others are a leatherman micra (excellent for a wash at/first aid kit),leatherman kick, my grandads victorinox huntsman and the piece de resistance. Black oxide leatherman surge, which is the base of my mini tool kit.

Just a heads up to other surge owners, any t-bar jig blade fits in the blade exchanger. I have a 6" one with huge teeth for wood which blasts through 3-4" logs like no ones business.

KaiTheIronHound
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Leatherman wave. Lives on my belt when i am on the fire truck, has saved my arse and repaired equipment more than once. Also lives on my belt when i camp, hike and bushcraft. Almost bombproof, less than 100AUD shipped from amazon.

Silverback
04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
just bought a stanley multi tool, £11 mainly because Im doing more work outdoors with chainsaws and the like so need a handy pair of pliers etc

Fraser
04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Good to hear !
I hope my Surge lasts that long ! Only thing Fraser , now it's out of warranty ( I think ). However Leathermans have a good reputation , and their built like a tank !
I thought they had a 25 year warranty? Not worried though, apart from the tip broken of the knife blade it's as good now as the day I got it...... better in fact.
I got both as safety awards so the price was excellent :happy-clapping:

NedB33
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Leatherman Skeletool CX.

The Joker
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Gerber Suspension, great bit of kit! had it years used regular and still going strong.