PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft bog roll

rawfish111
25-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I've heard of people using Sphagnum Moss, leaves, snowballs and even money! in extremis. Fortunately on those occasions when I've been out long enough to require it, it has always been in my kit. Just curious though what have others heard of or tried? and more to the point, did it work?

ian c
25-02-2013, 06:49 PM
I have used a FFD (first field dressing) when on exercise as it was one that was used for the cas sim and was not needed any more oh and it worked very well.

Silverback
25-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Dock leaves...grass...triangular bandage....

Silverback
25-02-2013, 07:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV6dEF7agcU how to use 1 sheet of issue tracing paper toilet paper

Matt
25-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Foxglove leaves are a firm favourite with me, soft, strong and are found all year round :)

Chubbs
25-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Caught short last summer and had a packet of mossi wipes in my pocket, well it would be rude not to !!.

They were just like baby wipes but had the added bonus of leaving the butt protected from bites all day long.

Bernie
25-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I was caught out in the bush one day on army training in South Africa. The leaves on plants in semi-desert regions aren't large. In fact, where I was there were no leaves to speak of. Sand and sticks. I opted for a stick. I do not recommend this option. Wiping sideways with a stick is partially effective, but even with the thorns removed, the stick was ... unpleasant. Here's what they look like with the thorns on:

http://media.capetowndailyphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/fever_thorn_tree_IMG_0524.jpg

You can see how useless those leaves would be. :ashamed:

rawfish111
25-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Ouch!

FishyFolk
25-02-2013, 07:54 PM
In Iraq I used pre invasion 200 dinar money. They where cheaper than toilet paper and i could wipe my arse with Saddam Hussien every day.
on my last trip I forgot my baby wipes at home, so i used snow...I have Morbus Chrons and have a had a good meter of small intestine removed, so i have chronic dioreah. That means 2-3 trips to the loo after every meal. Inclding in the bush....so next time the baby wipes come with me.

Else moss is a favourite of the wild kinds. And if I have running water nearby I fill a bottle and clean myself properly. At home we have a small shover nossle by the WC for that purpose. Itæ's something I picked up in Asia, and much better when you have to go 2-10 times a day. If not I use baby wipes.

Perhaps this was more infor than you wanted, lol

Stamp
25-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I've never done the O'natural bog roll, I always use wet wipes and a nappy bag to bring them home in, never leave home without them... I find a pack of wet wipes can be used for a huge amount of tasks, personnal hyguine and cleaning pots and pans too.

When we are running courses we use a compost toilet and burn the paper as it takes too long to compost, just don't breath in!

Kernowek Scouser
25-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I find one of life's little ironies is, if you have some bum wipes in your pack, you can usually hang one until a proper toilet can be located, but if you should be caught short without them, your bowels, often colluding with your bladder, violently rebel against your efforts to control them. And when such bodily insurrection occurs, I would also vote for the dock leaf.

However, being an all year round snuffler, prone to manflu when it is cooler and enduring hey fever when it is warmer; I always carry at least one handkerchief in my pocket, often one in each as they help stop whatever else is in there from jumping out. If the curious turtle should put in an unexpected appearance, a HK can comfortably deal with the consequences, if there is no suitable flora about.

And failing that, there is always the disposable boxer short option.

Silverback
25-02-2013, 11:05 PM
If the curious turtle should put in an unexpected appearance

:happy-clapping:

paulthefish2009
26-02-2013, 06:18 AM
I like to use toilet paper designed for use with chemical toilets on boats,it breaks down much quicker than the normal stuff. In emergency it,s what is at hand including the disposable shorts option!. Paul

Martin
26-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Many many years ago, I was out with a group on Dartmoor. It was the final day of our trip and one of our party needed to ease springs. We had no paper so he called for the loaf of medium sliced, white bread!! Apparently, his finger went straight through it.

Mother's Pride!!!

Martin

FishyFolk
26-02-2013, 07:13 AM
In the army we used field toilets made of card board. Popularily known as a "poop and carry"
Anyway at the end of one rainy excercise, our very unpopular seargeant who must have eaten something contaminated by kerosene (do not point that accusing finger at me, i am inncosnt sir!), desperately needed to go, as me and one other lad was given the unpleasant task of loading the poop and carries onto the M6 truck. extra unpleasant since these had been left out in the rain and where full.

well, here comes our young and promising seargeant (he was 19 and had gone tio school to get the stripes and had no idea how to treat his men to gain respect...and was given none), brushed us aside and aimed is buttocks at the nearest soggy toilet. I actually tried to warn him, but to late...does the words "total structural failure" cover what happened....hmmm, I think so :evilgrin:

Chubbs
26-02-2013, 07:25 AM
In emergency it,s what is at hand including the disposable shorts option!. Paul

Don't ever go digging in the woods on the banks of the river near Truro, Been there, caught short, buried the boxers :ashamed:

Nothing better than lavitorial humour first thing in the morning!!

beermaker
26-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Leaves are good, but for a thorough clean I like a good handful of long grass. Twist it into a bunch and then bend it over. Holding the two ends together you can really get in and clean with the bend.

paulthefish2009
26-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Don't ever go digging in the woods on the banks of the river near Truro, Been there, caught short, buried the boxers :ashamed:

Nothing better than lavitorial humour first thing in the morning!!

Can I further advise you to not dig around the pigeon house section on the river wey :ashamed: Paul

Martin
26-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure I like thread being above or below one entitled, 'Sweetcorn Spoon' when I click 'new posts'.

Martin

JonnyP
26-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure I like thread being above or below one entitled, 'Sweetcorn Spoon' when I click 'new posts'.

Martin

Now you know why Fish carves so many spoons ;0)

Silverback
26-02-2013, 02:48 PM
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5244-What-s-your-Multi-Tool&p=72526#post72526

theres always this if all else fails ;)

Chubbs
26-02-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5244-What-s-your-Multi-Tool&p=72526#post72526

theres always this if all else fails ;)

:happy-clapping:

Kernowek Scouser
26-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Do you think Adrian would mind if folks start turning up at his gaff, introducing themselves then saying "Give us yer hand mate"?

Not quite the handshake he would be expecting, me thinks :D

wildish64
26-02-2013, 03:56 PM

Silverback
26-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Do you think Adrian would mind if folks start turning up at his gaff, introducing themselves then saying "Give us yer hand mate"?

Not quite the handshake he would be expecting, me thinks :D

As long as you shake his right hand i suppose youre ok given its his left thats the multi tool

butchthedog
26-02-2013, 04:56 PM

ooh!!!

rawfish111
26-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Perhaps this was more infor than you wanted, lol

Not at all, peoples practical experience is worth more than reading a dozen books IMHO

rawfish111
26-02-2013, 06:07 PM
:evilgrin:
7218:evilgrin:

OakAshandThorn
26-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I was caught out in the bush one day on army training in South Africa. The leaves on plants in semi-desert regions aren't large. In fact, where I was there were no leaves to speak of. Sand and sticks. I opted for a stick. I do not recommend this option. Wiping sideways with a stick is partially effective, but even with the thorns removed, the stick was ... unpleasant. Here's what they look like with the thorns on:

http://media.capetowndailyphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/fever_thorn_tree_IMG_0524.jpg

You can see how useless those leaves would be. :ashamed:
Ye Gods!!! Acacia! :shocked:

Bob W
26-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Bare hand, wash in the nearest water source!!

Bannock anybody?? :rolleyes: ;)

butchthedog
26-02-2013, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Chubbs;72483]Don't ever go digging in the woods on the banks of the river near Truro, Been there, caught short, buried the boxers

I bet the fishing is "poop" down there.

rawfish111
26-02-2013, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Chubbs;72483]Don't ever go digging in the woods on the banks of the river near Truro, Been there, caught short, buried the boxers

I bet the fishing is "poop" down there.

:zombie-fighting:

jus_young
26-02-2013, 10:24 PM
This threads going to ....

Keep it clean people :p

nilo52
27-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Hey, poison gas is against the Geneva Conventions !!!

nilo52
27-02-2013, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE=butchthedog;72597]

:zombie-fighting:

Is that a CA CA CASHE ????