PDA

View Full Version : Question on Homemade Fire Starters

MtB
26-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I was looking at my hexamine tablets the other day and I thought, "these things just don't last long enough!", and that's when the mad scientist in me started theorising ways of making my own which mainly involved melting as much polystyrene/styrofoam as I could in petrol/gasoline for a thick goop, which then could be mixed with glue, then left to set and the resulting block cut into manageable sizes- and set alight... Anyway,

A little reseach later brought up numerous ways of making your own fire starters, one of which I'd like to try out (see link three below).

So I'm wondering...

Do you make your own fire starters, and if so, what are they, and how good are they?

and,

Does anybody know how this (my own insane concoction) would turn out? The measurements are just guesswork.

1. 1fl.oz. or so of Gasoline.
2. Melt as much styrofoam as you can into it.
3. Stir in 0.5-1oz Magnesium powder (or maybe just half a teaspoonful)
4. Stir in 1 teaspoon of sugar.
5. Stir in 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
4. Stir in an egg box compartment measure of sawdust (an ounce or two?)
5. Scoop resultant mix out into an egg box compartment and let it set over night.
6. Burn.

Anyway, here are a few links to home made fire starters...

Potassium Permanganate and Glycerin
http://explosives.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-mini-chemical-fire-starters-272615/

Gasoline and Styrofoam
http://explosives.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-homemade-napalm-fire-starting-goo-272244/

Candle Wax, Sawdust, and Egg box
http://camp.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-clean-burning-fire-starters-with-non-toxic-materials-389395/

Disclaimer/Advisory:
Playing with matches and/or gasoline and/or magnesium powder is hazardous and dangerous. You may be severely burned or killed, or you may burn your house down. Practice due diligence and be safe; wear safety glasses and gloves; be in a controlled environment, that sort of thing. If you intend to copy what is written here or seen in these video links - YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

NaturalBushcraft.co.uk and it's members, owners, staff, affiliates, hangers on and whomever else is standing about at the time are not liable/responsible for your carelessness.

Silverback
26-02-2013, 07:53 PM
y. When styrofoam is safely burnt as a method to dispose if it, it is burnt in a controlled environment at extremely high temperatures. Campfire or trash burning temperatures will not burn hot enough to keep toxic chemicals from forming and toxins to be released.

Styrene

Styrene is the most worrisome chemical released when styrofoam is burnt accidentally. According to Earth Resource, styrene is has been listed by the EPA as a possible carcinogen. Workers who are exposed to styrene in the manufacturing of polystyrene or styrofoam complain of eye irritation, headache, fatigue and muscle weakness. Styrene has also been shown to affect the kidneys and blood. Styrene has been labelled as hazardous waste and is outlawed in many cities now for that reason.

Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)

PAHs are chemicals that are found in many products made from petroleum, including styrofoam. They are a naturally occurring group of chemicals that also can be released from styrofoam when it is burnt. Some items like coffee, grains and vegetable oils contain very small natural amounts of PAH. When meats are smoked or burnt, they release PAH as well. The danger from styrofoam comes when the smoke from burning it releases harmful amounts of PAH. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, it is known that PAH stays in the environment for years; has been linked to short-term symptoms like eye irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and confusion, and long-term symptoms like kidney and liver damage and cataracts.

Carbon Black

Carbon black is a carbon-based substance left behind after styrofoam is accidentally burnt. It is not as volatile a chemical as others released from burnt styrofoam. It is similar in make-up to soot or cinders, but is not the same. It is a dusty, black, ashy substance that will not harm you unless you inhale extreme quantities or small amounts over a very long period of time. Symptoms for short-term exposure include mild coughing or irritation of the eyes or throat. Long-term exposure has shown a higher occurrence of lung issues like bronchitis, scarring, chronic cough or reduction in lung function. The dust is so fine, it is easily inhaled and causes respiratory issues.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide has been known as the silent killer for some time. The highest danger of carbon monoxide poisoning is within your own household, particularly while sleeping. Accidentally burning styrofoam will release significant amounts of carbon monoxide, but if it is done outside and infrequently, you will see little harm to your health. If you burn styrofoam inside in a fireplace or stove, you should ventilate the area well. Short-term exposure, even outside if the concentration is high, can lead to symptoms that are flulike. Continued exposure can lead to brain and heart damage, organ dysfunction and emotional problems. These can be permanent.

Inhalation of airborne soot particles could lead to irritation of the lungs and cause the production of fluid they are more likely to be inhaled deeply into the lungs. Such gases can cause inflammation of the small airways (bronchiolitis) or lead to fluid accumulation in the lungs (pulmonary odema).

Inhalation of some gases and chemicals may also trigger an allergic response that leads to inflammation and, in some cases, scarring in and around the tiny air sacs (alveoli) and bronchioles of the lung. This condition is called hypersensitivity pneumonitis

Stamp
26-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I've used Potassium Permanganate and Glycerin which produces a very fearce chemical reaction, but the rest sounds like some sort of training for al qaeda....

Whats wrong with a the ones you can buy in a shop? Or using natural materials found on the trail?

Silverback
26-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Oh and i have used Potassium Permanganate and Glycerin...works well....oh apart from the health issues theres also anti terror laws....be careful

Bernie
26-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Candle wax and sawdust or wood shavings for me. Safe, simple, and uses up what would be waste.

Silverback
26-02-2013, 09:17 PM
candle wax and sawdust or wood shavings for me. Safe, simple, and uses up what would be waste.

+1T^

rawfish111
26-02-2013, 09:28 PM
see the cottonballs thread , unsure how to link, have used potassium permanganate and brake fluid before to light a bonfire with nothing else avasilable

FishyFolk
26-02-2013, 09:52 PM
A throw pouch ( the kind the millitary use to throw empty mags in) filled with birch bark is my weapon these days. It also has room for a dry stick of kindling or two as well.
Birch bar has along burn time, and can be used as tinder to, even as a nest to blow fire into life from an ember. I hardly bother with artificial fire starters any more. But got some make up remover cotton pads, filled with vaseline and dipped in candle wax. Burn time: 10 minutes or so.

butchthedog
26-02-2013, 10:00 PM
see the cottonballs thread , unsure how to link, have used potassium permanganate and brake fluid before to light a bonfire with nothing else avasilable

Made some last week from women's makeup cleaning pads. Gently teased them apart and put a dollop of Petroleum Jelly inside then dipped in melted candle wax. Tried one today down the river, to use:- bend in half and tease some of the fibres out a bit and expose Petroleum Jelly, lit it with spark from ferro rod and burned for a full seven minute's.

Chubbs
26-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Candle wax and sawdust or wood shavings for me. Safe, simple, and uses up what would be waste.

Agree with Bernie on this one, very cheap and easy to use.

I have a load of them that my boy Brad and I made a while back. We 'pepped' these ones up by adding a full tin of Brasso liquid and a really good glug of white spirit to some shavings in a large bowl. We took a bit of the mixture and rolled it into a ball and left them overnight. Next morning they were dipped in candle wax and dried out. I have stuck a wick in a few of them made from jute string (dipped in white spirit) and covered them in wax also. These are fully waterproof and burn for about 20 minutes each. If you fluff up the wick before using one, it will take a spark no problem.

If you want a few, PM me your addy.

Cheers Neil

suggy
27-02-2013, 07:55 AM
So I'm wondering...

Do you make your own fire starters, and if so, what are they, and how good are they?

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5137-cotton-wool-fire-balls&highlight=biscuits

:)

MtB
27-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses, especially to Sapper4083 for the information.

Even before posting the idea, I was thinking that my recipie would create something that would burn but it probably wouldn't throw out the heat necessary to boil 350ml of water. Also, I figured there would be a lot of soot involved.

Anyway it was just an idea. I'll probably go ahead and try the candle wax, sawdust, and egg box version. The guy in the video seemed to get a good flame with it.

I am in the midst of drying bush trimmings and roots so that I have a readied bag of tinder kindling. I just need to make a pouch for it.

Chubbs' pepped up candlewax, woodshavings, brasso, and white spirit sounds interesting.

Dave ward
29-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Ok try these guys, you've prob tried them already but take a cottonball and melt candle wax and soak the cottonball in the wax, let it soak right in the(they still fluff up and catch a spark) and whilst still wet mold into a shape you want (small to go in a tin/pouch) and trust me, these bad boys burn for about 10mins and are waterproof and VERY windproof! They burn hot as well and can boil water by them selfs in about 5ish mins. Cheap and VERY great tinder and its all from stuff you have in your house, i can't say enough for these great little fire starters!

David_JAFO
29-03-2013, 02:22 PM
hello,
T^
Regards
David
Ps. steer clear of these 'Cookbooks' links for incendiaries :wink:

A throw pouch ( the kind the millitary use to throw empty mags in) filled with birch bark is my weapon these days. It also has room for a dry stick of kindling or two as well.
Birch bar has along burn time, and can be used as tinder to, even as a nest to blow fire into life from an ember. I hardly bother with artificial fire starters any more. But got some make up remover cotton pads, filled with vaseline and dipped in candle wax. Burn time: 10 minutes or so.