PDA

View Full Version : Can you dye a gore tex jacket?

Kernowek Scouser
05-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I tend to avoid dpm as I look a proper numpty wearing it. Mostly, this DPM phobia has had minimal impact on my outdoor clothing purchasing.

However, I have recently stumbled upon a couple of gore tex jackets and smocks, which I would buy in a heart beat, if they were not in DPM.

So my question for you good people is this.

Can you dye a gore tex jacket without effecting its ability to repel water or lessening its breathability?

And if you can, what is the best way to go about it.

Many thanks,

Colin

JEEP
06-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Most GoreTex garments have pure nylon or polyester shells, which normally does not take dye well.

Kernowek Scouser
06-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Cheers fella, I thought as much before I posted, but posted anyway in the hope a member may have tried something a bit left field and found it worked.

Been reading around the web and found this:

Thank you for visiting our website and for your interest in our products.

Dyeing a GORE-TEX® garment is not recommended, because when the outer shell is dyed the GORE-TEX® membrane is as well. Since we have not done any studies or observations in this area, we do not know how this would affect the GORE-TEX® membrane.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

EXPERIENCE MORE !

Bill Acklin
W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc
Fabrics Consumer Advocate Team
GORE-TEX® brand
1 800 GORE-TEX (467 3839)
www.gore-tex.com (http://www.gore-tex.com)

Looks like the answer is a no then :(

CanadianMike
06-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Dye is typically a fine powder mixed in a solution, and the powder doesn't fully dissolve, so I'm suspecting that the particles in the dye would likely clog up the pores in the Goretex.

FishyFolk
06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
It's that "Not crazy about DPM" but wanting a bargain, that made me go for that British Goretex MVP Combat jacket. It's in a light 2 tone kind a brown and yellowish color. I guess I will stick out like a sore thumb in it, but I trhink okay for the snowy months. Else I do not care much as long as I stay dry. I got an old M-65 jacket that is excellent, but it is in woodland camo, so I tend to not wear it and go for my softshell jacket instead. But the last one is not breathing at all, and have no other ventilation than opening the zipper...

Chiseller
02-09-2013, 05:57 PM
You can dye, pertex and nylon with some degree of success. The downer for goretex is that to dye the nylon etc, is that the best dyes (IMHO) need boiling .....and that would kill the ptfe and or the seams.
I would just look for a cotton/poly cotton jacket you like, dye it if needed and wear a thin goretex jacket or smock underneath when needed.
Or bite the bullet and buy a country covers smock or just a good ventile.
Hope you find what your looking for.