PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks - Underblankets / Quilts - Will I need one in the Spring or Summer if warm?

Martinxo
06-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi all

My first post here : )

I've recently bought a DD Hammock and am now wondering If I need an underblanket or quilt for the Spring and/or Summer? Or are these only for the Winter months? Is it warm enough without an underblanket/quilt in the Spring/Summer or should I take one anyway?

Any thoughts or advice are very welcome

Cheers

Martin

FishyFolk
06-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I think you'll need one. But it does not have to be a 70£ snugpak. You can make one from a very cheap sleeping bag. Simply hang it under the hammock with bungee chords. And thats should be more than enough. Or use a foam mat between the layers in the hammock.

Silverback
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi there and welcome to the forum. In spring it can still be cold enough to require a decent underquilt, but as Rune says why shell out 70 quid. I use a combination of a US army poncho liner and if its really cold then a cheapy square doss bag as well. In summer i will still use something if the wind is strong as this is what will strip the heat away from under you

skids
06-03-2013, 08:57 PM
I just use an old sleeping bag as a cocoon, works really well.

jus_young
06-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Still need one. Have a look through the forums under 'Sleeping', there are quite a few posts now on DIY underquilts.

Welcome to the forum

rawfish111
06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
I just use an old sleeping bag as a cocoon, works really well.

I was thinking of sourcing an old 38pattern or similar maggot for this purpose. You just answered the question, cheers!

nilo52
07-03-2013, 12:21 AM
:welcome: Martinxo ,

This is the most important web site I've found for Bushcrafting ! You will learn a lot here.
Nilo52

Martinxo
07-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for your helpful comments and suggestions. Does everyone feel that in the UK it is essential to have some kind of under-hammock insulation in the spring or summer months?

The Joker
07-03-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm lucky enough to go Shrafting at least twice a month most months and use my hammock all year round. All I use is a decent kip mat and my sleeping bag.
Even in the summer your back will get chilly without something underneath it because the weight of you will compress the lofting of a sleeping bag.