PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Folding Saw at Lidl this Week

BigDave
08-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I receive a Lidl flyer through the door this week with a gardening theme to it. Upon browsing I noticed a folding hand saw- similar to a Bacho Laplander for only £2.99. Yesterday I bought one and put it through it's paces. I was amazed at how well it performed. So here's a brief review.

The saw blade is carbon steel and is about 2.5-3mm thick. The teeth are razor sharp and the saw made short work of a number of logs ranging from a couple of inches to about 5 inches wide. It was comparable with a laplander, if not better. The black locks in place and I was skeptical as to how tight this would lock up. There was not reportable play in the blade at all. The shape of the handle lends itself well to being gripped without slipping, even when your hands are cold and losing feeling. To add further grip there is a rubber coating to the handle. I found this both very comfortable and practical.

My only gripe was I found the blade release button slightly stiff. Because of where the button is you need to be careful when gripping the saw and pressing the button to release the blade, otherwise you can catch your fingers on the blade and believe me the teeth are razor sharp.

Overall this is a quality piece of kit for just £2.99. The cutting effort needed was minimal and its construction is top notch. Weight wise is ok, and lighter than expected. If your on a budget this is a real winner.

Silverback
08-03-2013, 08:26 PM
T^

AdrianRose
08-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up buddy. Always good to get a bargain.

Ade

Sar-ian
11-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I bought one last year, and still cutting well, expected to throw it away, and buy another one at that price, but it's holding up well.... cheers Ian..

lord archibald
05-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Aldi now have them in £2-49 !!

rawfish111
05-04-2013, 01:04 PM
T^

snowleopard
05-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks for that,

Joel

flint n steel
05-04-2013, 08:06 PM
iv just had a gander at the ones in aldi which do you guys think would be better out of the fine tooth blade and medium blade for bushcraft purpose

cheers luke

Bob W
05-04-2013, 09:32 PM
iv just had a gander at the ones in aldi which do you guys think would be better out of the fine tooth blade and medium blade for bushcraft purpose

cheers luke

Get the medium,the fine tooth struggles a bit with greenish or damp wood. I got both recently!

David_JAFO
08-04-2013, 01:35 PM
hello,
I received a box of these from Lidl 'gratis' :innocent: nearly gone :( 3 left.
I've put one of these through it's paces & agree with most posts so
far holds out well. Still got my Bahco saw & spare blades as my main
cutting tool can't beat that :wink:
Regards
David

butchthedog
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
hello,
I received a box of these from Lidl 'gratis' :innocent: nearly gone :( 3 left.
I've put one of these through it's paces & agree with most posts so
far holds out well. Still got my Bahco saw & spare blades as my main
cutting tool can't beat that :wink:
Regards
David

Hi David , in your opinion, is the BAHCO a lot better buy and worth the extra cost.

David_JAFO
08-04-2013, 02:50 PM
hello,
IMO 'YES' I have had the Bahco Laplander in my kit since my Armed Forces Service still same handle just
required a change of blade when required (got spares) 'but' for a few quid for a Lidl folding saw
for every day general use etc.. tried & tested, it's an ok tool. Got 2 left, 1 NBC first refusal of
the remaining 3.
Regards
David

Chubbs
08-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I bought one of these cheap saws a while back and I don't really use it. Its ok for the money but its blade is a little rugged. It tends to slip a bit and due to the teeth been quite large it takes quite an effort for the first few cuts.

I would like one of these though but its a little pricey

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4059

sblog
08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I got one from Aldi on Saturday and put it through its paces yesterday.

I found the blade to stick quite a bit and it also has a lot of flex in it.

In comparison to the Laplander the difference in performance is huge - but then so is the price!!

For a couple of quid I can't fault it, but much prefer the Laplander.

ian c
08-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I will admit that i have tried the cheaper saws and did not like them, i have a silky saw that has been used many times and still sharp, also still got my laplander that i use when back packing as the silky is for work and would not like to lose it.

David_JAFO
08-04-2013, 05:36 PM
hello,
Chubb's that's a nice tool (link) tried & tested, I'm sticking with the Bahco but for a freebie the
Lidl bargain aint too bad & I'm sure anyone who's handy at the woodwork could knock
up a very nice handle similar to the No18 folding saw as the Lidl saw blade is removable :wink:
Regards
David

rawfish111
08-04-2013, 07:22 PM
:mad: Lidl in Dartmouth doesn't have them so wound up with seed and cutting compost instead.

David_JAFO
09-04-2013, 02:45 PM
hello,
Rawfish111 check your PMs :wink:
Regards
David

rawfish111
09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
hello,
rawfish111 check your pms :wink:
Regards
david