PDA

View Full Version : Knocked off!!

jus_young
14-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Maintenence blokes came round today and cut the grass in the front garden. Don't know why 'cos its not been a Housing Association property for at least 15 years, very few of them are in our cul-de-sac. In the process they broke off the bracket fungus that has been growing on my Sycamore stump for the last few years. I was saving this one to see just how big it actually got :mad:

Don't know what it is so I thought I would put up a couple of pics for your suggestions...

This is the top

This is the underside

White flesh inside with feint brown tinges here and there.

Silverback
14-03-2013, 11:55 AM
thats a big old one I'll bet, such shame really

jus_young
14-03-2013, 01:32 PM
thats a big old one I'll bet, such shame really

That's a 300mm / 12in rule resting on top and I'm sure it was no where near finished growing yet.

Silverback
14-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Im sure i read somewhere that the surface ridges/'rings' represent a years growth

jus_young
14-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Just me pondering but if this is the fruiting body of the fungus, and the fungus itself has been growing away inside the stump, is this where you get that lovely spalted (?) patterned wood from?

Stamp
14-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Im sure i read somewhere that the surface ridges/'rings' represent a years growth

Your correct, some (not all) brackets with a woody structure have anual rings which can be used to estimate the age. This looks like and old Ganoderma bracket, very common. Might be worth knocking the trunk of the tree to see if you can hear a hollow drum like sound. Tap up and down the trunk to see if there is a change in pitch, if there is it indicates a cavity and maybe worth having the tree removed. Sounds primitive but its what the professionals use, and I guess you won't be able to afford a examination with a picus which would give a graphic representation of rot and cavitys, its a good guide to the trees health.

Silverback
14-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Tap up and down the trunk to see if there is a change in pitch, if there is it indicates a cavity and maybe worth having the tree removed.

Its a stump, Jus says so in OP

Stamp
14-03-2013, 02:32 PM
ha ha.... yeah.. i got carried away :ashamed: