PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie Slings

Chubbs
27-03-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm off to the Cornwall RV this weekend and was supposed to be taking my hammock but I am just not happy with the thought of using the supplied webbing or 6mm braided rope I bought. A lot of hangers use whoopie slings but are they strong enough to hold my weight which is just on the over side of 18 stone. As well as me, I will be putting in a Polish Army sleeping mat which is another 9kg, sleeping bags and everything else to keep me warm. Do you all think they will they take the strain.

Cheers Neil

AdrianRose
27-03-2013, 07:32 PM
It'll be fine buddy.

The whoopie slings will easily take 18 stone pal.

Ade

Tigger004
27-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm eighteen and a half stone, also I now hang my rucksack from the head end of my hammock, use under mat and usmc sleep system, have also had my youngster in with me, I was more worried about the hammock material

Chubbs
27-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks pal, will order them from DD tomorrow.

Neil

Kernowek Scouser
27-03-2013, 07:52 PM
... and if they don't, the Polish mat will cushion a fall :D

Just kidding!

You have a DD don't you Neil? They are supposed to be able to cope with up to 25 stone. I was touching 18 stone when I first tried swinging and the webbing supplied with my Frontline more than coped with me. Another time out, there was a fella with us well over 20 stone who had a TW Hammock, again no problems.

So like Ade says, you should be fine.

I can't make the RV this year, so you have a good one fella.

Chubbs
27-03-2013, 08:09 PM
... and if they don't, the Polish mat will cushion a fall :D

Just kidding!

I wasn't thinking of myself Colin, but for the poor sods who would feel the earthquake if it did snap !!. There again, thats nothing compared to the talking in my sleep I do on a regular basis. I know there was a few that experienced it at the last Cornwall meet at Woodlands Valley. Apparently It sounded like I was being murdered and poor old Ashley heard it and he was the furthest away from me. He even got out of his hammock to investigate!!. Most mornings I am woken up in the early hours by SWMBO and told to be quiet !!.

The hammock I have is the TW Hornet 1.8 metre wide. It was in perfect nick until this afternoon when I was sealing some cord and it dripped on it leaving two little holes :ashamed:. Nothing a bit of gaffer tape won't sort out.