PDA

View Full Version : The consequences of incorrect plant identification - an unfortunate case

jus_young
10-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Another case of plant I.D. gone wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-22470470

snowleopard
10-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Another case of plant I.D. gone wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-22470470

That just shows how dangerous they are! Personally I never go near mushrooms, even if I'm pretty sure what they are.

Joel

SimonB
10-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I personally avoid mushrooms like the plague....

Not only can I not ID them, they have no nutritional value....

I only eat mushrooms from the shop... Better safe than sorry !!!

Silverback
10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I personally avoid mushrooms like the plague....

Not only can I not ID them, they have no nutritional value....

I only eat mushrooms from the shop... Better safe than sorry !!!

they taste nice...but is it worth dying for ? Nope......

ian c
10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Its a shame it has happened but it also says to me dont pick mushrooms so i will carry on buying my mushrooms.

OakAshandThorn
10-05-2013, 11:41 PM
This kind of thing happens regularly over here, especially this time of year :(.
Besides what I buy in the stores, the only mushrooms I'll eat are shelf-polypores, none of which are poisonous (at least in the US).

jus_young
11-05-2013, 12:25 AM
There are very, very, very few plants that I am happy to id and, as such, foraging is something I stay away from. I will never be any good at it as my memory just does not function as it should. If the end of the world does arrive then I shall be living on ramsons and three cornered leak, but at least I won't have to worry about anyone coming anywhere near me!

happybonzo
11-05-2013, 07:35 AM
This is a terrible story. I suppose the people thought that because the things were in their garden that they'd be safe to eat?
Even the experts can get it wrong.

Even Prof Gordon Hillman, who did some programmes with Ray Mears, managed to scoff the wrong type of fungi.

f0rm4t
11-05-2013, 07:42 AM
If the end of the world does arrive then I shall be living on ramsons and three cornered leak, but at least I won't have to worry about anyone coming anywhere near me!

Ha!
I proper belly laughed at this one jus! :happy-clapping:

Sar-ian
11-05-2013, 12:11 PM
For me, another good example of "if in doubt, leave it out"... Nature provides plenty of wholesome and great tasting food, but she also has a nastier side, as is the case with death caps, theres no second chance........

Silverback
11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Even Prof Gordon Hillman, who did some programmes with Ray Mears, managed to scoff the wrong type of fungi.

and that was only because he was given it by the lab upstairs, and he only found out when he had half a pint of beer....another lesson there..that sometimes the people you trust to give you these things get it wrong too

luresalive
11-05-2013, 01:51 PM
...and if the brain boxes in the lab get it wrong then we all are even more likely to get it wrong, much as I like mushrooms, this happens too often in the UK and I don't want to end up a statistic!

Silverback
11-05-2013, 02:35 PM
...and if the brain boxes in the lab get it wrong then we all are even more likely to get it wrong, much as I like mushrooms, this happens too often in the UK and I don't want to end up a statistic!

T^

snowleopard
11-05-2013, 05:54 PM

+2 there!

Joel

Martin
12-05-2013, 03:19 PM
And yet, people still post photos on here, asking for a plant id! Crackers, just crackers!!

Martin

happybonzo
12-05-2013, 05:17 PM
In France, you can take your Fungi to the Pharmacist and they will identify them for you

FishyFolk
12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
In France, you can take your Fungi to the Pharmacist and they will identify them for you

Ther eis a system for that here too. Yet people every year f.ex manage to mix up something as simple as a chanterelle with the deadly webcap...which grow everywhere around here.
Unfortunately my wife loves mushrooms, but has agreed that she will only pick the ones she is 100% sure of. Like Penny buns or birch bolette...and chanterelle, which she is perfectly capable separating from the deadly webcap. We got our own place for those :-)

But I don't like mushrooms. except champignons...I like those on me Pizza or in a nice pasta sauce, or to fry with my steak :-)

Kernowek Scouser
12-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Quite a cautionary tale. Poor woman.

Being allergic to mushrooms, I've no reason to try any I see in the wild, but I am very, very slowly increasing the number of other wild edibles I can identify with a reasonable level of confidence.

That said, I'm still too chicken to eat anything I can identify and I stories like this one, do little to encourage me to do otherwise.

So as far as prepping for the zombie apocalypse goes, while Plan A remains trying to improve my own ability to identify wild edibles, a Plan B of being best mates with an expert forager, would probably be a good idea too.

rawfish111
13-05-2013, 05:42 AM
...and if the brain boxes in the lab get it wrong then we all are even more likely to get it wrong, much as i like mushrooms, this happens too often in the uk and i don't want to end up a statistic!

+3 t^

saxonaxe
13-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm another one who doesn't touch fungi and as far as the Apocalypse is concerned, I know a bloke who has a huge store of grub...and I'm bigger and nastier than him..:jumping-joy: :D

OakAshandThorn
13-05-2013, 11:04 PM
...and as far as the Apocalypse is concerned, I know a bloke who has a huge store of grub...and I'm bigger and nastier than him..:jumping-joy: :D
lol :happy-clapping: