PDA

View Full Version : Skills don't oxidise darling, so they can't rust.

Brody Hooper
11-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I grew up feral on the river Medway, was always in the woods, on the river, scrumping apples and poaching game from early childhood. But once school finished and the dotcom bubble burst I moved to Birmingham in search of work. I get really nervous about my 4 year old son's future as I talk to my brummy mates about their childhoods, as it seems that hanging out in the park with a bottle of White Lightning or sitting outside an off license are the usual childhood exploits for city kids.

Any way, a few weeks back I was doing a bit of work out in the Shropshire hills (beautiful part of the Country that) and walking back to my mates car that evening I looked up and saw all these amazing lights in the sky, I remembered seeing them when I was a kid but in Birmingham the light in the sky moves about and is usually an omen that predicts a stolen car is about to come hurtling down the street. That view of the night sky, the amount of stars I'd forgotten about and the pale band of the Milky Way stirred up all sorts of memories of being camped out under a similar canape.

I decided I needed to get out into the country again and asked the misses if I could disappear for a weekend for a solo hike across Dartmoor. At first she was against it on account that I might die, I'm too old and the skills I had as a kid too rusty and were probably never good enough anyway (she might have put it better, I kind of switched off). I walked into the kitchen and returned a few minutes later with a Pepsi can meths stove which I sat on the coffee table and lit up grinning as I proved my skills were as sharp as ever. I can't blame her really, she watched "127 hours" the week before. So I promised I'd work out a route and leave her with a copy of it so she knows where I'm headed the whole time, I'd make regular text updates (although I pointed out signal may be a problem) and I'd take a really sharp knife so that if my arm gets stuck under a rock I can cut it off easily. This did the job, and I got my weekend pass.

So I set about hitting the interwebs for affordable kit, and yesterday my new knife arrived. It was sharp, but not quite what I'd promised. I went into the shed grabbed a sharpening stone and started work. 20 minutes later and it was sharp enough to replace my mallet. Cut paper? it struggled to cut water for f***s sake. How the hell do you forget how to sharpen a bloody knife? In fact I hadn't forgotten, I knew what to do, just couldn't do it. Now I was doubting my skills, would I forget how to set a compass bearing? would I forget how to boil water? OMG I can't remember my name. Obviously she couldn't know, I smiled a bit and pretended everything was fine slipped the knife in a draw under a pile of bills and left it alone. This morning I decided to have another go, this time I stuck a pound coin at the back of the stone and set the knife on it as a guide, this gave me consistent strokes and it's nice and sharp again.

I'm off to Dartmoor Friday 24th and will let you know how it goes, if however I die out there would someone mind telling her I was hit by a car or something, because I'm sick to death of her always being right :p

snowleopard
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Well done you!

Thanks for posting,

Joel

Tigger004
11-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Best of luck, you'll be fine

Silverback
11-05-2013, 03:53 PM
enjoy.....

luresalive
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I enjoyed that post, take a camera so that if you do die we will all know what not to do!! Good luck

Ehecatl
11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Great post. I've been thinking about some scenarios that could explain your untimely death that you could not possible have considered before hand.....

1. Eaten by hyenas
2. Hit by a stray bomb from the Scottish ranges
3. Bitten by a grass snake
4. Chocked on caviar
5. Enveloped by a glacier

I looked forward to the most likely outcome though. You post a great write up about your trip for us to read when you get back safely.

Enjoy,

M@

wildish64
11-05-2013, 05:19 PM
such a refreshing post to read!
i like the pound coin under the blade,clever little trick T^

Ehecatl
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
such a refreshing post to read!
i like the pound coin under the blade,clever little trick T^

I did that but I cut my thumb when I tried to but a news paper.

Tony1948
11-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Go for it Bud you now it make's sense.then post a good right up then you get back,but remember................Dont get eaten by the bears:happy-clapping:........have a good time............Tony................PS dont forget the camera we want picture's

JonnyP
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Good post..
What part of the Medway did you kick around on..?

jus_young
11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
...2. Hit by a stray bomb from the Scottish ranges

Don't need to worry about the Scottish ones, they have their own brand on Dartmoor so excuse is sorted. Like luresalive said, please take a camera so that if it does go wrong we can find out why. I will be crossing the moor soon enough myself so it would be useful knowing where not to step :p

Brody Hooper
11-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Cheers guys, yes a camera is a must. My pack is already looking huge and I haven't got food or clothes in it yet so I'm thinking I'll only take 2 lenses 35-85mm and 80-200mm should do me.

I've lived all over Medway JohnnyP, born in Chatham moved to Rainham, then Halstow, Upchurch, Newington, Twydall and lower Gillingham before heading up north (past Watford is practically Norway to a southerner). The best place for me and my mates to knock about was the riverfront (which was ruined by the national trust sticking paths and car parks and resource centers to attract visitors, and generally tidying up all the woods so they didn't look like woods anymore). Until we discovered a disused underground navy base known locally as seven stories, but I think it was called HMS Wildfire in Gillingham That was the best playground in the universe. Then sappers from Brompton welded the doors shut and by that time we'd discovered girls, and other pursuits

JonnyP
11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Cheers guys, yes a camera is a must. My pack is already looking huge and I haven't got food or clothes in it yet so I'm thinking I'll only take 2 lenses 35-85mm and 80-200mm should do me.

I've lived all over Medway JohnnyP, born in Chatham moved to Rainham, then Halstow, Upchurch, Newington, Twydall and lower Gillingham before heading up north (past Watford is practically Norway to a southerner). The best place for me and my mates to knock about was the riverfront (which was ruined by the national trust sticking paths and car parks and resource centers to attract visitors, and generally tidying up all the woods so they didn't look like woods anymore). Until we discovered a disused underground navy base known locally as seven stories, but I think it was called HMS Wildfire in Gillingham That was the best playground in the universe. Then sappers from Brompton welded the doors shut and by that time we'd discovered girls, and other pursuits
I grew up mucking about on n around the Medway too.. I was just upstream from Tonbridge.. Good times

shepherd
12-05-2013, 07:37 AM
great post buddy, ahve a great trip and dont forget tro give us an update..

Brody Hooper
13-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Well I packed everything up for my trip last night giving the missus her dining room back. Everything apart from water and camera gear, pulled it it up onto my back, walked to the kitchen and back put it down. It's fine if I only intend to walk 5 miles a day. It's bloody heavy, about 25kg and I've still got the kitchen sink to get in there.

So having pulled loads out that I can do without, it's still too heavy for comfortable walking. The tent comes in at nearly 4kg, so that's getting replaced with a lighter one this week, inflatable mattress has been replaced by a lightweight fleece blanket (that'll do the job right?). A lot of the weight is food, not sure what to do about that though, I guess I could bulk up on simple carbs now, carry half the food and lose some weight during the trip, but honestly that's not an appealing idea. But if it's a choice between a couple of packets of super noodles and my kindle then I'll choose the kindle every time (only luxury I simply must have).

I was reading one of the boards earlier about lightweight vs pack mules, how do some of you guys manage with such heavy packs? Are you all built like houses or do you build a base camp and travel shorter distances from there?

I think I'll be happy if I can my pack down to 15kg, but the problem I'm having now is that every time I pull something out of the pack I think of some other little "essential" that has to replace it, only to pull that out later and repeat lol.

Silverback
13-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I was reading one of the boards earlier about lightweight vs pack mules, how do some of you guys manage with such heavy packs? Are you all built like houses or do you build a base camp and travel shorter distances from there?

Just used to it i suppose...