PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Bimble near Chorley\Bolton

MikeWilkinson
18-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi Folks,

It was mentioned at the last pub meet about getting out and doing another walk\bimble\meet up. I'm up at Lead Mines Clough between Bolton\Chorley and Blackburn most Sundays and wandered if anyone would like to join me. There is plenty of wildlife up there and a bit of foraging. Would only be for a few hours in the morning as I usually have a few family commitments and to be honest it doesn't take too long to walk around. (Although I probably stomp through it usually, when getting the Dogs out!!)

Alternatively the South side of Tockholes is always pretty good, specially up around the old manor ruins, away from the crowds that start at the pub\cafe in Tockholes itself.

No specific dates or times yet, just seeing whose interested.

Would like at some point to try and get a regular thing going with different walks around the area, maybe a few day bushcraft sessions around the area as we are limited in where we can overnight. I'm pretty happy to share what limited knowledge I have, whether it is a bit of Debris Shelter building (Bring the kids!!) or some cordage making. Providing we are sensible could probably do a bit of fire craft as well - using hobo stoves to contain our efforts.

So those interested let me know.

Mike

Sar-ian
18-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Deffo up for that, work/family commitments allowing........ cheers Ian....

Yungen of Bury
18-05-2013, 12:49 PM
same, im in provided it doesnt clash too much with family commitments.. tomorrow is a bit short notice, and cant do next week as my other half is working all weekend, but after that i reckon i can sort it out :D
dont worry about leaving me out if you do want to do it either of those weekends, but do keep me in mind for any other ventures please :)

on a side note, brilliant idea. good way to get out into the world without having to arrange a full weekend with stop overs.

freedom
18-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi mike,

I would be interested, i think i saw you at the taramack event today while food foraging walkabout, with Ade. Sorry should have come over and said hello, I am planning to get up to the tockleholes abit more this year want to learn abit more about tracking animals. So count me in. Cheers Phil

MikeWilkinson
18-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Just thought Ian, Haigh hall and Lady Mabel wood are not to far from your neck of the woods, could probably do something around there too. Maybe some foraging along the Canal.

Thinking maybe Lead Mines Clough for the first one - Sunday Morning of the 2nd June. I've got a family function at 2pm at Moss bank Park so will probably be only the morning maybe 10:00 till 12:30\13:00ish. If that is no good for everyone, happy to take suggestions, however I'll be there regardless.

Mike

Sar-ian
19-05-2013, 03:19 AM
T^ depends on my shifts, just been informed we are to under-go a re-structuring to facilitate a dynamic new phase in the progression of economic viability............. Yeh I know, It's management speak for we are about to shaft you again.... :jumping-joy:

biker-bri
19-05-2013, 09:18 AM
T^ depends on my shifts, just been informed we are to under-go a re-structuring to facilitate a dynamic new phase in the progression of economic viability............. Yeh I know, It's management speak for we are about to shaft you again.... :jumping-joy:

more hours less pay !!!

Bri

Yungen of Bury
19-05-2013, 10:22 AM

my mind reads, we want more money, we arnt making it, so we are going to pay less of you, so we can keep more of it :)

freedom
19-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Just thought Ian, Haigh hall and Lady Mabel wood are not to far from your neck of the woods, could probably do something around there too. Maybe some foraging along the Canal.

Thinking maybe Lead Mines Clough for the first one - Sunday Morning of the 2nd June. I've got a family function at 2pm at Moss bank Park so will probably be only the morning maybe 10:00 till 12:30\13:00ish. If that is no good for everyone, happy to take suggestions, however I'll be there regardless.

Mike

Hi Mike,
If its ok could I gate crash on this morning meet mate, god knows I need this practise at anything bushcrafty. So if its ok just let me Cheers.

MikeWilkinson
20-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Hi Mike,
If its ok could I gate crash on this morning meet mate, god knows I need this practise at anything bushcrafty. So if its ok just let me Cheers.

Wouldn't be gate crashing, all are welcome. It might just be a foraging bimble, might not be too bushcrafty this time around, but gives us a chance to plan another one.

freedom
22-05-2013, 08:22 PM
ok cheers mike, abit of foraging will be great

Ichneumon
30-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Hoping to make this one.

Mike: Can you post a grid ref or Google ref for the meeting point please?

MikeWilkinson
30-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm still planning on 10am till 12:30ish. I was up there Tuesday night with the little 'uns. There is some good basics for foraging, Ranging from Hairy Bittercress and Sorrels to Thistle and Hedge Garlic.

If you search these co-ords on google maps you can see the trail head - 53.639206,-2.565181. There is limited parking at the trail head, either on the bridge or in the lay-by just down the road.

An alternative would be to meet on Knowsley lane, near the Yew tree pub - 53.635186,-2.576083, and walk up around Bradley Wood along the Western edge of Yarrow Reservoir and then up to the Clough.

Let met know what people would prefer, and if anyone needs a lift from a train station or nearby. Depending on if my little 'uns are joining us I can pick up another three in the 'bus'.

Mike

Sar-ian
30-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Sorry Mike, I can't make this one as I'm working, cheers Ian...

MikeWilkinson
30-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Sorry to here it Ian... We will have to sort something out for next time.

freedom
31-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi mike,

I am still in for the meet, could you give me a post code so i can use my satnav.
cheers phil

Ichneumon
31-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Let met know what people would prefer,

As they are only a few hundred yards apart and you know there area, best you tell us Mike.

MikeWilkinson
01-06-2013, 07:18 AM
It will probably be easiest to park at the reservoir on Knowsley lane, just passed the Yew Tree Pub, we can all meet up at the footpath at the eastern end of the Reservoir. Popped up there again on Thursday evening, there were a couple of Roe deer knocking about up near the springs and the little bit of rain we have had made some of the falls up there quite spectacular.

Judging from the number of responses it may well only be two or three of us there. My plan is to meet up around ten, make our way up to the Clough - there are some nice photo opportunities along the way then wander up the clough with a bit of foraging and depending on how long we take having a munch, we might travel further up the clough and loop around the top and come back down via some of the adjacent Moorland. Nothing special, but a chance to get to know what people are interested in and plan for another day trip/camp.

Mike

freedom
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
sorry guys for not turning up but my stepson was rushed into hospital, sorry again

Ichneumon
02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Reasons to stay away don't get much more important than that Phil. But you were sorely missed - next time aye?

MikeWilkinson
02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
No problems Phil, As said above no more important a reason than family. In the end was just myself and Paul. However I believe we made the most of it, I certainly enjoyed myself and the company. Hopefully next time mate.

Countryman
23-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi Mike
been a bit detached recently with family and work but these meets/walks look interesting and count me in, are they all on Sundays? Anyway let me know for the next one.
Cheers
Brian

Ichneumon
23-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi Brian.

They tend to be somewhat random and occasionally on the spur of the moment. Keep a weather eye in this section of the forum, they are always announced here. We look forward to you joining us soon.

Paul