PDA

View Full Version : New to bushcraft and loving it :D

Mathematics
19-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi guys

Just got into bushcraft and chucked together some kit from things I had been given and I've been buying a few bits.

I'm now looking at clothing, a new bag and roll mat. What would you guys recommend pls?

I'm fair weather guy at the moment - prov April - sept. I looking for trousers top and warm pullover the sleeping bag and roll mat. We sleep both on the ground and sometimes in hammocks.

Thanks

Chris

Mathematics
19-05-2013, 06:00 PM
PS I'm on a budget - cant go spending hundreds the mrs will go wild ;)

Silverback
19-05-2013, 06:05 PM
welcome to the forum Chris...cant go wrong with some of the military surplus stuff if you can bear the cammo, and the bushcraft evangelists ;)

Gelert and Craghoppers do some decent mid price stuff and Sports Soccer often have clearance items in

Mathematics
19-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Cheers Sapper.

Any recommendations on materials as want warmth durability quick drying and fire safe or best combo you can get, as I know can't get all that :)

butchthedog
19-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Hello and :welcome: Mathematics, you will find answers to all of your questions on here. Personally I use a lot of army surplus and DD Hammocks gear.

Silverback
19-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Cheers Sapper.

Any recommendations on materials as want warmth durability quick drying and fire safe or best combo you can get, as I know can't get all that :)

all synthetic jackets ie man made fabrics will be none fire resistant, natural fabrics that are include wool, but not very quick drying..its a trade off between warmth, waterproofing and flame retardancy the latter not normally a consideration of outdoor clothing manufacturers

ian c
19-05-2013, 07:54 PM
I still use army issue kit as it did not cost me anything as was issued and if i need more i know does not cost a fortune, by the way a lot of army clothing now has synthetic in it.

Mathematics
19-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks Ian I've a Norgie fleece

What about this for a bag? Ok for bivi and hammock?

http://www.militarykit.com/product_categories/sleeping_bags/sleeping_bags_snugpak_sleeper_lite_olive.html

suggy
20-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Hello and welcome to NB :)

The sleeping bag looks fine for the seasons you are wanting to use it for. You may want to try it with a bivvy bag, either surplus or something like the Alpkit Hunka which are quite popular.

Yup, sold out as usual ! http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16312&category_id=253

:)

Mathematics
20-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Thank you I've got a surplus bivvy

Just need some clothing and roll mat now

Tigger004
20-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Welcome,
Good luck with kit as most of us on here have bought loads and changed what we use several times.

Stamp
20-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi and welcome.

I would say not to scrimp on a mat, buy the best you can. You will not regret paying £30 plus for a mat when you sleep like a baby in the woods. Go Outdoors is a good place to start, look at the HiGear ones, quite small pack size and not too expensive.

Andy Sherwood
20-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Welcome!

For clothing, army surplus does a brilliant job. As sapper said there are commercial options too. I'm actually planning to do a video on Army Surplus soon - the good the bad and the ugly. Some stuff they issue is brilliant, some is not. I'd also say if you do go for MI, then don't limit yourself to DPM and British stuff, plenty of cheap European and American military stuff is flying about too.

Take care,

Andy

ian c
20-05-2013, 03:35 PM
The snugpak sleeping bag is good i have the older version and it has been used many times without any problems (over 10 yrs) i have used it in the desert and in the Falklands most of the time it was used for 3 weeks plus at a time,then washed following the instructions even had to wash it by hand a few times, it is still going strong. Oh and yes have used it with a bivi bag and in a hammock without problems.

Tigger004
20-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Welcome!

don't limit yourself to DPM and British stuff, plenty of cheap European and American military stuff is flying about too.

Andy

I have a Dutch army Gore-tex coat with a fleece liner - fantastic kit (the separate hood is a bit strange though)

Andy Sherwood
20-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I have a Dutch army Gore-tex coat with a fleece liner - fantastic kit (the separate hood is a bit strange though)

I'm sure the hood has some sort of tactical advantage being like that...

The rule of thumb is if it's winter gear from a cold European country with a well-equipped military then it will be warm! :campfire:

snowleopard
21-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Hello and welcome!
Joel

shepherd
22-05-2013, 07:43 AM
welcome to the forum Chris...cant go wrong with some of the military surplus stuff if you can bear the cammo, and the bushcraft evangelists ;)

Gelert and Craghoppers do some decent mid price stuff and Sports Soccer often have clearance items in

+1... welcome buddy, from the lakes/ north yorkshire

Mathematics
22-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys

Are self inflating mats ok in a hammock?

biker-bri
22-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Yep I have used a ultra light thermarest with my dd hammock and it did keep out the cold tho not as good as an underquilt .
Cheers Bri

Stamp
22-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Yep I have used a ultra light thermarest with my dd hammock and it did keep out the cold tho not as good as an underquilt .
Cheers Bri

Ditto, I was one but find I don't always stay fully on it and get the cold coming through from the sides.

Ehecatl
22-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Ditto, I was one but find I don't always stay fully on it and get the cold coming through from the sides.

Double ditto. A tip I was told (but have not had time to try yet) is to glue velcro to the mat and glue or sew it to the hammock so the mat stays in place.

M@

Wardy
22-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Welcome buddy, I have a couple of sets of the survival range from Craig hoppers and they are nice and lightweight but to be honest I tend to wear my army lightweights that cost me £5. I have a set of dpm trousers I also wear a lot cheap and take the general wear and tear aswell

Tigger004
22-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys

Are self inflating mats ok in a hammock?

I find them a bit rigid and spoil my comfort, an underblanket is probably the best but I simply use a cheap milar reflective blanket,