PDA

View Full Version : Use of Scout camps in the Lancashire area

MikeWilkinson
31-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi Folks,

Before I pursue this avenue for potential Bushcraft sites further, I was just wandering if anyone had contacted the local scout camp sites to see if we can use any of them?

I know of at least three camps that have large woodland areas and potential bivi sites.
I have no connection to the scouts and was wandering if any of you North West guys out there do??

The three potential sites I had in mind are : Tawd Vale, Waddecar and Bowley.

Mike

jacko1066
31-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi mike,

I could be wrong mate but I think everyone in there sites needs to be crb checked, I seem to remember this being covered on a another site pal!!

Another way around it could be to volunteer at a local scout group then it may be easier to access it.

There is a scout database where there are contact details for all the troops etc an if you put a post code in it will come up with the nearest group, then send a message to the district commissioner and go from there.

We have a county site where we live so in the summer it's very rarely you can get use of it over a weekend.

This may help you- http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/direct/campsite/

Cheers Steve

Sar-ian
31-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi Mike, PM Sapper, he arranged the Silverwood moot, which was on a scouting est, he maybe able to give you some info, but from what I remember, you are not allowed on site when kids are there, cheers Ian....

Silverback
31-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi Mike...in my experience all adults on site when scouts are also on site require an up to date CRB....we arranged the Northern Soul moot to coincide with the 'off season'...you maybe able to do that in the first instance

MikeWilkinson
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, I just thought I'd check to see if anyone had investigated this already. I expected someone would have. One of the reasons I asked is that when working with the Universities Officer Training Corps - we used Tawd Vale in early October for the selection weekend. Having thought about it now though, everyone would have been CRB checked prior to getting that far anyway. The other site that springs to mind is Holcombe Moor, A Greater Manchester cadet training area that is also used for private hire.

Mike

Sar-ian
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
The other site that springs to mind is Holcombe Moor, A Greater Manchester cadet training area that is also used for private hire.

Mike

Hi Mike, are you planning to take this further ? if you are and you get it "sorted" ,T^ and can give me some notice to arrange time off, weekend, even mid-week, cheers Ian.............:jumping-joy:

Silverback
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
The other site that springs to mind is Holcombe Moor, A Greater Manchester cadet training area that is also used for private hire.

Mike

Once again anywhere there maybe young folks a CRB is normally required...you could try the MOD though !!

NedB33
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
I used to spend a LOT of time at Bowley when i was a kid. Dont seem to remember much in the way of dense woodland though but, my memory can be a little hazy.

Interested to know more.