PDA

View Full Version : light my fire firesteel and firedust review

Aaron Rushton
16-01-2011, 06:29 PM
hi all, this is just a quick review i've done on the new model of the light myr fire scout firesteel and maya dust. it was quite a windy day so i was impressed with the tinder. please subscribe if you want mroe bushcraft, airgun hunting and outdoors[ vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPBTAdMPB4s

Aaron

paul standley
16-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Well done on the Vid Aaron...

Martin
16-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey Aaron, good video mate and well done on getting a flame on the Maya Dust. It was a nice honest review and well filmed, looking forward to seeing more soon.

Martin

JEEP
16-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Thank you for the video.

The Scout model is my favourite size aswell; small enough to fit in a pocket - with plenty of strikes to last you a long time.

I agree; the old model striker is more effective than the old one. Generally I am not very fond of the version 2.0 firesteel; the new "ergonomic" design is, imho, much less ergonomic than the old one.

As far as the Maya Dust; I have used it a few times - and I must admit that I am not all that impressed. If you compare it to cotton wool, which is much cheaper and easier to come by, I find the Maya Dust way too hard to light. May Dust may burn a bit longer and warmer, but I have never had problems lighting a fire with cotton wool.

I am a big fan of Light My Fire's products. But, not so much the re-designed Firesteel 2.0, neither the Maya Dust.

paul standley
16-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Thank you for the video.

I agree; the old model striker is more effective than the old one. Generally I am not very fond of the version 2.0 firesteel; the new "ergonomic" design is, imho, much less ergonomic than the old one.

I had problems with the 'edge' rounding on my old style striker and used a hacksaw blade as a striker for a while but gone back to my old striker again. I re-ground both edges at a slight angle to create a 'burr' and handed to suit me (I'm left handed). It works great now and i've got a choice of two edges to use.

Aaron Rushton
16-01-2011, 08:35 PM
thanks for the replies guys. i was under a tarpaulin at the time so sorry about the sound. by the way, the sound 3:47 is a duck as i have 6 of them wanerding around my garden probducing eggs for me. paul, thats why i prefer the back of my knife, as i can keep it nice and square with a sharpener.

swkieran
16-01-2011, 09:05 PM
good video Aaron :),dont worry m8 im not very good wit my firesteel either takes loads of practise me tinks