PDA

View Full Version : Collapsible Aluminium Campfire Tripod - Anybody has/used this?

ADz
12-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Does anybody have or has used this, Is it any good?

What are dimensions when packed down?

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/collapsible-aluminium-campfire-tripod---ideal-for-cooking-over-a-campfire-9995-p.asp

http://i.imgur.com/bciET8p.png

Tony1948
12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
You'v been looking on the chinese camping channel,about £10 ant they.

ADz
12-06-2013, 09:48 PM
You'v been looking on the chinese camping channel,about £10 ant they.

Whoops, sorry I mean to post a link aswell. Its from the bushcraft store..
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/collapsible-aluminium-campfire-tripod---ideal-for-cooking-over-a-campfire-9995-p.asp

I have seen the Chinese version on ebay though most likely exactly same so have emailed them aswell.

mountainm
12-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Wilkos are doing them...

ADz
12-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Wilkos are doing them...

Cool, I'm in town Friday so will have a look. Ideally want the lightest.

[EDIT] Judging from the wilko site the one they have is not collapsible like this and looks like its heavy duty.

[EDIT2] Ah I see it. Looks like its part of a set though. May sell separately in store. Will have a look.

Chubbs
12-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't know anything about the one you mention but what about using an old camera tripod and adapting it. You get loads of them in charity shops and carboots for a couple of quid. I made one last year and i added an S hook to hold a chain. Mine is aluminum and hold pretty heavy weights.

If I can find the lost camera I will take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Cheers Neil

ADz
12-06-2013, 11:15 PM
I don't know anything about the one you mention but what about using an old camera tripod and adapting it. You get loads of them in charity shops and carboots for a couple of quid. I made one last year and i added an S hook to hold a chain. Mine is aluminum and hold pretty heavy weights.

If I can find the lost camera I will take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Cheers Neil

Thanks its a nice idea but this tripod would probably be lighter/less bulky for backpack then a camera tripod which is my main concern.

Adam Savage
13-06-2013, 03:45 PM
These tripods are great for 10cm Zebra cans (or similar). They obviously won't take a huge amount of weight, or abuse, and the fire they sit over has to be kept fairly small, so as not to destroy the aluminium, but definitely worth getting if the price is right :)

Adam

Silverback
13-06-2013, 03:53 PM
the fire they sit over has to be kept fairly small

T^.....

ADz
13-06-2013, 04:18 PM
These tripods are great for 10cm Zebra cans (or similar). They obviously won't take a huge amount of weight, or abuse, and the fire they sit over has to be kept fairly small, so as not to destroy the aluminium, but definitely worth getting if the price is right :)

Adam

My intentions was to use with a fire small/big enough to have a 1.6ltr Tatonka or 775ml MSR pot over. Just wasn't sure on dimensions for pack or build quality.

However I have had reply from bushcraft store...

Hi
Weight is 460grms length 39cm and width 5cm
Andy

I will eventually just rely on building own tripod/support from wood but this should be nice substitute or addition in mean time :)

Silverback
13-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I will eventually just rely on building own tripod/support from wood but this should be nice substitute or addition in mean time :)

?...... why not make your own on site from wood....its the most simple, lightweight and in the end satisfying option.....I admit to having a tripod but its purely for use with my dutch oven

whilst on the subject of telescopic things did you get your trekking pole back in the end...?

ADz
13-06-2013, 04:48 PM
?...... why not make your own on site from wood....its the most simple, lightweight and in the end satisfying option.....I admit to having a tripod but its purely for use with my dutch oven

I fully intend to but want something as a fallback incase I balls things up or want something quick/easy. Plus its nice and shiny :D

whilst on the subject of telescopic things did you get your trekking pole back in the end...?

Yeah SimonB picked up/posted for me :)

If things go well I'll be moving into new gaff on Saturday so will be trying some different ground setups with new tarp and the poles aswell as hangs.

Silverback
13-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah SimonB picked up/posted for me :)

postage not too pricey i hope ......and how can you mess up making a pot hanger....watch Ray Mears' vids on it then practice at home

ADz
13-06-2013, 05:20 PM
postage not too pricey i hope ......and how can you mess up making a pot hanger....watch Ray Mears' vids on it then practice at home

Dont think it would have been much, I offered to pay but said it was ok. I'll say thanks in person on future trip or return favor in some way :)

I know m8, It does look quite easy and don't think I will have any problems making/using one. I dont know reason really, I just like the idea of of useful things that dont weight much and pack down nice.

I haven't bought it yet so may give it a miss.

TreefrogGB
13-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Does anybody have or has used this, Is it any good?

I had one on the last Northern Soul meet. I could have told you if you bothered to talk to me ;)

Silverback
13-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I had one on the last Northern Soul meet. I could have told you if you bothered to talk to me ;)

:happy-clapping:

ADz
13-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Sorry bud, not very sociable when hungover and first night flew so probably didnt get to talk to majority. Plus I have a memory like a sieve so wouldn't have a clue who's who now either. Not talking any alc on next meet so going to be make most of weekend :)

So what's your verdict bud, They any good, build quality/pack size etc?

TreefrogGB
13-06-2013, 07:30 PM
For the money I think they are well worth it. They pack in a nylon bag and are compact and lightweight. I've found that they hold a surprising about of weight for what they are, but being aluminium, you wouldn't want your fire to big or too hot.

(With Mora for scale)

ADz
13-06-2013, 07:36 PM
For the money I think they are well worth it. They pack in a nylon bag and are compact and lightweight. I've found that they hold a surprising about of weight for what they are, but being aluminium, you wouldn't want your fire to big or too hot.

(With Mora for scale)

Thnx. They do look quite good for price and the pack size and weight is a plus.

Silverback
13-06-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqZfeM6_4s

TreefrogGB
13-06-2013, 07:56 PM
I can make all manner of pot hangers mate, but when you are a guest on someone else's land it's as well that i don't go cutting down the woods ;)

Adam Savage
13-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I can make all manner of pot hangers mate, but when you are a guest on someone else's land it's as well that i don't go cutting down the woods ;)

True that, but occasional coppicing isn't usually a problem, as long as you ask first :)

Silverback
13-06-2013, 08:10 PM

It was for Adz benefit......I know you can we have made them before....I can usually find a fallen branch to suffice anyway

ADz
13-06-2013, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqZfeM6_4s

Thnx bud. I've seen the vids (Got ever single episode of ray mears). I've found a few possible local areas with woodland or small copse's so will have a go :)

I still may get this tripod though.

Silverback
13-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Thnx bud. I've seen the vids (Got ever single episode of ray mears). I've found a few possible local areas with woodland or small copse's so will have a go :)

I still may get this tripod though.

go to B and Q and buy some timber......tannalised rough sawn hardwood is fairly cheap

ADz
13-06-2013, 08:38 PM
go to B and Q and buy some timber......tannalised rough sawn hardwood is fairly cheap

What do I need the timber for?

Realbark
13-06-2013, 08:38 PM
My own thoughts on this are similar to your own. Use wood when packing light. However if you are car/bike camping why not use proper forged tripods? They are not dear and if you can carry the weight they make a worry free set-up - no melting :) . I realise there are times when you have no wood - its no biggie, just cook a different way.

Silverback
13-06-2013, 09:04 PM
What do I need the timber for?

practice....if you cant get wood from a wood/hedge etc

Sar-ian
14-06-2013, 11:30 PM
the lightest, cheapest, easiest way to make a tripod, is to use a metal ring approx 3" diameter a length of chain, two "S" shaped pieces of metal bar.. Approx 50grm, and £1 cost, and 1 hour of time, and fits inside a baccy tin with room to spare... If I can get out tomorrow I'll post some pics.. cheers Ian...

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0248_zps5ac8522b.jpg
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0250_zps3faff47c.jpghttp://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0251_zpsaf96ef98.jpg

the chain is actually a dog choker chain, and used mini crab's, but you get the idea.....

ADz
15-06-2013, 12:05 AM
the lightest, cheapest, easiest way to make a tripod, is to use a metal ring approx 3" diameter a length of chain, two "S" shaped pieces of metal bar.. Approx 50grm, and £1 cost, and 1 hour of time, and fits inside a baccy tin with room to spare... If I can get out tomorrow I'll post some pics.. cheers Ian...

Thnx bud, look forward to pics.

I do have one of those x3 chains/hooks for garden/fruit baskets which I got to make a handle mod for my MSR Stowaway. I'll only need one chain from it or maybe none since I have ordered Tatonka kettle now so may use the chains/hooks from it for a DIY tripod chain.

snosbig
27-06-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm from New Jersey/USA & this is what I do when I go treking in the back woods......Want to pack light? ....I connect 3 carabineers to eachother to use instead of lashing poles together. I also pack a 1 meter long length of lite wt chain with 2 "S" hooks to hang a pot from the carabineers.
Simply connect the 3 carabineers together, fashion your 3 poles from fresh cut bush or saplings to the desired length (I go 1.25 meters X 3), strip off the bark & insert the poles at 1 end inside the carabineers (1-pole per carabineer) & spread out the feet & the tripod is complete. Hang the chain from 1 of the carabineers & use the "S" hooks to adjust the length to hang your pot. No need to buy an expensive tripod that is a pain to pack & useless for anything else. Additioally, the carabineers, chain & S-hooks come in handy for other uses around camp.

TreefrogGB
27-06-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm from New Jersey/USA

Ah well ! they you go. We are on an overcrowded little Island, and sometimes it's not sustainable (on someone else's land) to be cutting saplings down. ;)

I quite often canoe camp on the shores of popular lakes and carrying a re-useable tripod is more sustainable in the long run. I have the skills to make pot hangers and all manner of voyageurs type tripods and racks when and where I can. :)

Silverback
27-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm from New Jersey/USA

welcome to the forum.....please pop on over to the introductions thread and say hi to the folks......Im sure you'll get a warm reception

Big T
10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Not the lightest or most compact but on the past I have used the fold up tripod off of an old fold up "man at work" roadsign! Also wicked for a fishing rod support!

FishyFolk
10-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Here you go...a tripod without the need for any lashings, rope, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ie7yCad_M&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL3B5ACCE352807C69

roberts
18-08-2013, 04:26 PM
I use 3 of them steel spikes with the hook top you see on building sites