PDA

View Full Version : opinal knifes

swkieran
17-01-2011, 09:16 PM
saw some in the window of my local army /outdoor store for ten pound each,looked like a handy knife to own,anybody got 1,different colour handles aswell which i thought was neat ;),and it folds away like a penknife

cobra
17-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi pal. They are a very good knife for the money which can be honed to a very sharp edge. The main problem i have found is that if the knife handle gets wet it swells up making it a bit awkward to open the knife. All in all a good buy though.

paul standley
17-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I have the Opinel number 9 (3.5 inch blade) - excellent knife, very sharp. I like the locking mechanism which will lock it closed as well as lock it open.

£10 is about the going rate. Value for money is spot on, can't fault it.

Paul.

CanadianMike
17-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I bought a number 8 stainless one a few weeks back to see what all the fuss is about, not impressed with the edge it came with or the edge I was able to put on it, but overall it's a nice knife. I want a carbon blade or two, but they are hard to come by in stores around here, all only seem to carry the Inox ones. But, at least I'll get some use out of this one, since it's stainless I'll use it for cooking related stuff while out camping, etc. and save my O1 blades from getting goo'd up.

Shewie
17-01-2011, 11:35 PM
I've had a No.8 for about 15 years, takes a really good edge and seems to hold onto it well too.

Echo the comments about the swelling, mine's been stiff since the day I got it but it's still a nice little thing to use.

Notredame11211
18-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I bought a number 8 stainless one a few weeks back to see what all the fuss is about, not impressed with the edge it came with or the edge I was able to put on it, but overall it's a nice knife. I want a carbon blade or two, but they are hard to come by in stores around here, all only seem to carry the Inox ones. But, at least I'll get some use out of this one, since it's stainless I'll use it for cooking related stuff while out camping, etc. and save my O1 blades from getting goo'd up.

Hey Mike,

They have a few at Mountain Equipment Co-op, Here is the link: http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

JEEP
18-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Imho. Opinels are, for folding knives, what Moras are for fixed blade knives; cheap as chips, hardwearing, capable of taking and maintaining an incredibly sharp edge, easy to sharpen and - at least here in Denmark - available almost everywhere.

I have the large Opinel saw. It is ok, but there are some issues - I will post a review soon.

Martin
18-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I've got a No 8 and just love it. Like most others have found, it's cheap, easy to sharpen and remains sharp. It's a classic design and is the first thing to go in pocket pretty much every day. I also have a Sword Peasant but I think the Opinel No 8 is still my favourite knife.

Martin

CanadianMike
18-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey Mike,

They have a few at Mountain Equipment Co-op, Here is the link: http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

Ah cool, thanks for that.

Fletching
18-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I've a no. 9 carbon which holds its edge well, but I find it a little big for my small hands so might go to a no. 8 too.

Steve

Allthegear-noidea
20-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Have carbon models 8, 9, and spearpoint 8.
Agree with all the positive and negative comments above. Plus it's easy to mod the handle to take off sharp angles at the base (which I found uncomfortable).

CanadianMike
20-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I recently bought (as my earlier post states) a #8 stainless and have learned to love it as a steak/food prep knife, finally got a good edge on it (it resides in my pocket now). Also recently bought a #6 and #8 carbon blades and found them much nicer to sharpen than the stainless, but they stain easy, so I soaked both in hot white vinegar for a few mins and oxidized them to a dark grey colour. Stiff to open though due to wood swelling. But hey, these things are sweet and thin, very good cutters.

leon-1
21-02-2011, 09:04 AM
I have been using Opinels for years, I currently own No.8 and both the saws. The opinel no.8 garden knife seems to be pretty good and instead of just saying they're stainless with that one they name the steel type, they're 12c27 which I like as a steel so that will be a purchase in the future. I heavily oil the handle around the hinge when I get mine and allow the oils to penetrate deep, it seems to reduce the problem of the knife becoming sticky when the handle swells.

fish
21-02-2011, 09:08 AM
mine's been stiff since the day I got it but it's still a nice little thing to use.
lol lol lol !:ashamed:

Bambii
21-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Echo the comments about the swelling, mine's been stiff since the day I got it but it's still a nice little thing to use.

Hahahaha!

I can't say i've experienced that :D

Aaron Rushton
21-02-2011, 02:03 PM
i love mine, i've put a shaving sharp edge on it, and it is as sharp, if not sharper, than my moras. you cannot baton or do any heavy work with it though.

CanadianMike
21-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I thought of doing that, but figured anything I put in there would make the wood swell anyways. I have linseed oil, Minwax wood hardener, etc. and not sure which would be best.

ian c
22-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I bought the model 8 for my old man which i drilled a lanyard hole in the rear of the handle, i filed the handle down a little to aid getting the blade out easier, also reshaped the tip of the blade to a spear point for him, he carries this with him when he is shooting for cutting sticks to gutting rabbits ect.

fish
22-09-2011, 06:47 PM

the carbon ones are way better.

rich290185
22-09-2011, 07:55 PM
any one know any tricks to make them open easyer, mines stiff ;)

Martin
22-09-2011, 07:59 PM
any one know any tricks to make them open easyer, mines stiff ;)

Yeah, don't get it wet. The wet swells the wood making them very hard to open. The same goes for oil which can get in when you sharpen it. If you've got it wet, then you could try drying it out in the airing cupboard or on the radiator in a few weeks time. :)

Martin

rich290185
22-09-2011, 08:01 PM
tar i'll give it a try

Bambii
22-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Mine was stiff when i first started using it. But when you keep opening it and closing it, it gets much looser :p

Reaps72
22-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I have an opinel no12 as my general utility knife & a no6 for whittling love em !

I give the blade a wd40-ing keeps it moving sweet, + give the handle a bit of linseed oil keep the water out!

Izzy
26-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I find a light tap of the toe of the handle against knee, knuckle or branch etc opens the blade enough the get a good grip to ease opening of the blade.:)

A few photos of my new sheath for my Opinel Inox No 8.33513352

dog.breath
17-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I had an Opinel no. 8 or 9 about 20 years ago that I used all the time. Great little slicer. Unfortunately I lost it on a trip to Mexico in the early 90s. I finally got around to replacing it about 6 months ago with a no. 8. I'd had it all of 5 minutes when my girlfriend came in the room and said, "Oh, that's a really cool little knife. Can I have it?" Ay ay ay. At least she doesn't mind me having knives :)

Stig of the Dump
12-04-2012, 04:37 AM
I recently bought (as my earlier post states) a #8 stainless and have learned to love it as a steak/food prep knife, finally got a good edge on it (it resides in my pocket now). Also recently bought a #6 and #8 carbon blades and found them much nicer to sharpen than the stainless, but they stain easy, so I soaked both in hot white vinegar for a few mins and oxidized them to a dark grey colour. Stiff to open though due to wood swelling. But hey, these things are sweet and thin, very good cutters.

Try giving it a good tap! I've had Opinel's all my life. Solid pocket knife for your EDC. Useful in the bush too for all fine carving tasks and of course if Carbon bladed, the spine makes a superb striker. The big plus of using the back of your Opinel to get a spark is that you can't cut yourself which always concerns me when I see people flailing around with a blade, trying to get a spark. All in all, you cannot go wrong for the price

Stig of the Dump
12-04-2012, 04:38 AM
This quote from Wikpedia says how...

"The traditional Opinel is designed to be opened with two hands, and a nail nick is provided on the blade.[12] It is possible to adjust the fitting of the safety locking collar in the event that the latter is either too tight or too loose.[12] Those practiced in the art often utilize the coup du savoyard - tap the heel of the handle hard on the table once and the blade should open slightly from the handle, allowing it to be rotated into position with the thumb.[12]"

KaiTheIronHound
12-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I've owned carbon steel opinels for years, and what i do to keep them from locking up is get a file into the timber all around the pivot etc to loosen it out, then soak it in linseed oil for a few days. The timber does swell, but because you've made room for swelling, the blade still opens and closes nicely. Also the timber swells more with water, so better off the little bit of swelling with oil than allowing moisture in at every turn!

JEEP
22-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Bought my first Opinel the other day; a carbon no. 8. I brought it with me on a bushcrafting hike w. my junior scouts, to try it out. I did quite a lot of whitteling and basic campcrafts with it, including making a spoon.

First impression was somewhat of a disappointment; having heard a lot about the sharpness of these blades, I had expected the blade to be a lot sharper out of the box. After a few laps on my Spyderco Double Stuff and a quick strop, it slized paper and wood like it was nobody's business :)

The opening/closing action is quite stiff - as is the rotating lock. A few drops of oil seems to have loosened them up quite a bit though. I remember it was the same with my Opinel saw.

The Opinel has, at least for now, replaced the SAK in the chest pocket of my scout uniform.

Wrighty28
22-05-2012, 08:04 PM
i had a number 9 with a carbide blade.. was not impressed at all. i tried tapping a tree and it bent the end to the point of buggery, and it wasnt even a hard tree surface..

however ive currently got a number 5 i use for work, the Inox blade (i believe) and im blown away as far as small utitlity knives go. today for instance, i made off maybe 10 armored cable glands, which involves running a blade against metal numerous times, and the edge is still spot on form when i bought it. and that was just today.