PDA

View Full Version : Brand New DD Hammocks Modular Hammock Sleep system review.

AdrianRose
26-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Hi Folks

I was lucky enough to have been sent the all new 2013 Modular Hammock Sleep system to review last week. So we went out yesterday and did a video review.
Have a look and see what you guys think, it does seem like a great "all-in-one" system to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXu-JdlsR4

all the best
Ade

freedom
26-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Excellent review mate, cool piece kit

ADz
26-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the review Ade, great video. :)

Very tempted with this. I have only just purchased the travel hammock, not had it out its bag yet so may possibly return and go with this system.

ian c
26-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Nice review, but I don't think that my Mrs will let me have another hammock. Cheers Ade

Silverback
26-06-2013, 09:55 PM
nice review Ade cheers.

FishyFolk
27-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Had that been out in February when I got my TW Bivi Hammock XL, I may have gone with this instead. Glad that I am happy with the TW thoufgh, or the temptation may have been to much to resist :-)

Chubbs
27-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Great review Ade.

It seems to be a nice bit of kit but it looks like an updated version of the Hornet and Bivi Hammocks which are available from TW Hammocks for less than half the price. For something so similar I think the price will be the stumbling block if these are going to sell in great numbers.

Neil

Old Guard
27-06-2013, 04:20 PM
excellent review .... very nice set up ...... T^

Ehecatl
27-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Cheers Ade - great review.

M@

Wardy
27-06-2013, 07:26 PM
What's your YouTube name are as I can't seem to access vid links from my phone.

Thanks

dannyreid1978
27-06-2013, 08:17 PM
What's your YouTube name are as I can't seem to access vid links from my phone.

Thanks

Ades channel is Northwestbushcraft on YouTube

Danny

Wardy
27-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks Danny, great video, very interesting hammock system. I use a 2012 model frontline hammock and love it, I can see this new system has some brilliant new features/ideas not sure it will make me change From my hammock though :).
Thanks for sharing ade, have subscribed to your channel now for future vids

Cheers Dan.

mark
28-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I want one,I want one, I want one !

Tony1948
28-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Carm down, carm down you'v got a wile till Xmas,and evon longer till you'r B-day:jumping-joy: PS see you the morrow noon.

Kernowek Scouser
28-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Another engaging, informative and most importantly honest review Ade, thanks for taking the time to post it (and thanks to cameraman Danny too).

As far as this new modular hammock goes, my first instinct is "Oooo SHINY... must have one" but as I type and the purchase fever abates, I find myself asking several questions.

Hasn't this been done before?
Can it be used in conjunction with an underquilt in cooler months?
If you are using the bivi configuration and you don't have a spare tarp component and it rains, are you not going to get wet?
It the attached tarp big enough to cover the hammock and you, if you are set up, it is raining and you fancy making a brew?
Why did they just keep the waterproof layer from the old bivi hammock, so you need to put the tarp under the bivi configuration?
Is a clumsy numpty like me going to catch hisself on those sticky out pole arch ends?
Will it spin like a wheel in a strong wind, with me in it?

The list goes on.

All of which adds up to this probably not being for me.

But that does not take anything away from you excellent review.

Thanks again for posting.

Atb.

Colin

Humakt
28-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Great video and review.

As for the hammock itself? Everything about it says 'yes', and yet I can't help but think 'no'.

Ehecatl
28-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Great video and review.

As for the hammock itself? Everything about it says 'yes', and yet I can't help but think 'no'.

Agreed. There a difference between "I want" and "I need". Think I'm with Mark on this one though - "I want one, I want one"

Yungen of Bury
28-06-2013, 06:03 PM
couple of questions, could the waterproof layer, when velcro'd to the underneath support a sleeping mat?? and can the mini tarp be put up without the hammock?? (so you could put that up first under rain and have some protection though it wouldnt do much of anything if the rain wasnt coming straight down.)

my only critisism is with the mini tarp over the top, as kernowek pointed out doesnt leave much, if any, protection outside of the hammock, and would leave the underside exposed to 'bouncing' rain, aswell as not giving a compartment for a layer of insulation (if it can support that at all)

the other improvements though, such as it already being fitted with the carabeeners and the mini poles for the the mozi net look a good move.

all in all, looks good, but i think the fact the waterproof layer is removable is redundant as its not much of a tarp, and leaves the underneath exposed as i said before..

that said, great review T^

Humakt
28-06-2013, 06:10 PM
It's that waterproof layer that does it for me.
Initially you look at go, 'yeah, that's great!'
But then you pull up and think about it for just a few seconds and think, 'but what advantage does it have over a tarp?'
And I can't think of any.
I can think of many more advantages of a separate (and larger) tarp. Can't see why I'd use that waterproof layer. I'd end up taking it off and using a tarp. So then the hammock becomes little more than a DD travel hammock (albeit with a removable mossie net - which IS a good feature), and twice normal cost Travel hammock at that.
And it's a massive pack size. And weight.
Nope. Not for me. Each to their own though.

rossbird
28-06-2013, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=Humakt;87992]It's that waterproof layer that does it for me.
Initially you look at go, 'yeah, that's great!'
But then you pull up and think about it for just a few seconds and think, 'but what advantage does it have over a tarp?'
And I can't think of any.
I can think of many more advantages of a separate (and larger) tarp. Can't see why I'd use that waterproof layer. I'd end up taking it off and using a tarp. So then the hammock becomes little more than a DD travel hammock (albeit with a removable mossie net - which IS a good feature), and twice normal cost Travel hammock at that.
And it's a massive pack size. And weight.
Nope. Not for me. Each to their own though.[/QUOTE
]
My thoughts exactly, well put Humakt.

Adam Savage
28-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Great review Ade. I feel a truck load of hammock mods coming along ;)

cave dweller
29-06-2013, 08:30 AM
It looks very cool - thanks for the review.

My first question though is 'where do I stash my kit?'. Unless you have an extra tarp, I'm thinking that you'd end up with wet shoes / rucksack / gear by morning, as you have nowhere outside the hammock that's covered.

I can imagine it would be good for a 'fast and light' overnighter with minimal gear though.

Adam Savage
29-06-2013, 08:58 AM
It looks very cool - thanks for the review.

My first question though is 'where do I stash my kit?'. Unless you have an extra tarp, I'm thinking that you'd end up with wet shoes / rucksack / gear by morning, as you have nowhere outside the hammock that's covered.

I can imagine it would be good for a 'fast and light' overnighter with minimal gear though.

I thought the same thing at first, but then thought it would be pretty easy to use a rucksack cover, and maybe construct a tripod to hang it on, within reach.
This system would be perfect for a canoe trip, as you could stash your gear under the canoe :)

mark
14-07-2013, 03:58 PM
I want one,I want one, I want one !

Guess what I've got.

Ehecatl
14-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Guess what I've got.

Did you follow Adam's advice and get a canoe to put your stuff under? :confused: