PDA

View Full Version : Just found a really nice looking woodland about 20miles from me.

ADz
27-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Been looking at google maps for my area for ages looking for places walking or bus rides from me (Cant drive yet) and all I have come across is some small wooded areas and copses etc so nothing too exciting.

Ideally I have been looking for something closeish that I can just jump on bus or short train that has everything like water source, fungi, wild life, plants, decent tree's etc and not really come up with anything suitable because of sizes/locations etc until I found something about 20m away which happens to be a nature reserve and looks quite nice and basically has everything I have been looking for. Somebody even has a blog and seems to go there once a month and has some nice pics. There is also some other wooded areas nearby.

I think I'm just going to go for a scout about first, have a nice walk, brew, take some pics/videos etc and then hopefully have some nice overnighters.

So what is the score with nature reserves, Do you visit/camp in any, Are they usually visited daily by manager(s)/ranger(s) etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

So fingers crossed I may finally have a nice place to go not too far away. :)

saxonaxe
27-06-2013, 07:27 AM
So what is the score with nature reserves

Surely the answer is in the title? Nature Reserve...reserved for nature. I may be wrong but I thought the whole idea was to protect the area for the benefit of the various species living there. Most nature reserves, certainly round this way have designated paths and areas where the public may walk during daylight hours but people are discouraged from wandering around and certainly camping overnight where their presence puts pressure on the nocturnal life of the reserve.

Disturbance of the reserved areas will result eventually in the wildlife leaving or certainly decreasing in numbers...then it's no longer a Nature Reserve..and probably ripe for...development..:)

ADz
27-06-2013, 08:29 AM
I know what a nature reserve is I was just wondering about doing an overnight now and again and the chances of been caught. I was asking for advice from that side.

The nature reserve is open to public and people are welcome to wonder about in it, as far as I am aware there are no footpaths, only small trails and people are not restricted to those so its not as if the site is closed or resricted areas.

I will be very conciencious about where I go/ what I do as to not damage anything and to leave no trace.

Just wondered if these types of places were visited daily by manager or something?

claverhouse
27-06-2013, 08:39 AM
I know what a nature reserve is I was just wondering about doing an overnight now and again and the chances of been caught. I was asking for advice from that side.

If you are asking about the chances of being caught, then I have to assume that you already know that you would be in the wrong for going there and camping ....

saxonaxe
27-06-2013, 08:40 AM
" doing an overnight now and again and the chances of been caught. I was asking for advice from that side."

Ah! If you understand what the purpose of a Nature Reserve is, then I'll leave it to someone else to advise you..:)

ADz
27-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Yes of course, same as anywhere without permission. Unfortunatley I'm in England and not a very wooded area of East Yorkshire so options are limited.

Silverback
27-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Wildlife and countryside act 1981 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006 - I suggest you make youself familiar with them. Also you need to look at a map not google to see what the access rights are.

Not only that bit there are a raft of other laws you may break by not doing your research.

That aside listen to saxonaxe - its a nature reserve stay out of it except to watch wildlife. Unless the landowner/tenant gives you express permission to camp which is very doubtful.

shepherd
27-06-2013, 09:07 AM
park rangers on nearby reserves to the woods i work in really do kick off if they find people camping, if i were you id find some woodland which wasnt pre-set aside as a special place for nature, the problem also lies in that if it is privately owned woodland you could get done for tresspass, at the least

ADz
27-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Ok I think ill give the camping a miss and find somewhere else and just enjoy the walk and quick brew.

Just got excited as it looks really nice and haven't seen anywhere else close like it.

There are some other non reserves near it that may be suitable.

Thnx for replies.

Silverback
27-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Never mind that there's the damage that could be done to the reputation of bushcrafters everywhere as joe bloggs diddly bops through the bush wearing his NB T shirt telling the ranger that the good folks of NB told him it was ok.

shepherd
27-06-2013, 09:16 AM
there is that also...

ADz
27-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Well I would never do/say that.

Silverback
27-06-2013, 10:37 AM
helpful links.....

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-1377

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-1378

http://mapzone.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/mapzone/PagesHomeworkHelp/docs/easypeasy.pdf

saxonaxe
27-06-2013, 10:59 AM
ADz if I can make a suggestion? If you can find an area that looks promising, say a small piece of woodland/scrub, make enquiries to find the owner. If it's farmland very often the offer of 'free labour' in exchange for permission to use the wood will do the trick. Tell them what you wish to do ie: low impact Bushcrafting.
I used to do a lot of Pidgeon shooting, some farmers in those days wanted up to £30 a day!! I used to work a few days stacking straw bales, putting up/repairing fencing, anything, I even emulsioned the inside of the farm office one weekend. Used to leave them a phone number, if they wanted a hand with anything they knew they'd only have to give me a call. Once they knew me it worked a treat.
Result..I had shooting over 4 farms, camp overnight if I wanted and never paid a penny..
It's a pain to find and means a bit of legwork but farmers/landowners don't often turn down extra...free..labour. Good luck mate.:)

Silverback
27-06-2013, 11:05 AM
very often the offer of 'free labour' in exchange for permission to use the wood will do the trick.

Thats how I got the 9 acres I have...with an option on another 100 if i do a good job with the existing 9....so far the deal is rent free until I can make it pay for itself

BJ
27-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi Adz,
I can sense your keen to get out in the woods. Have you considered a quiet camp site near to a nature reserve where you can camp legally for a small fee and still visit the woodlands and reserve area for a walk and brew etc.
I have seen this one near you and it looks interesting and is next to a nature reserve. You probable know the area better than I , but just a thought where you can get out without any apprehension.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=7657
I have done this in Snowdonia using a small camp site as a base and walking into the forestry areas to my hearts content. Not exactly wild camping but I still managed to get out.
:)

Bushwhacker
27-06-2013, 12:00 PM
My advice would be to pick a nice night, have a belly full of grub beforehand, go for a night time walk and stop up somewhere for an all night sit down/shuteye - you don't have to have a fire or have to have a shelter or camp to be in the woods.

Under My Basha
27-06-2013, 12:18 PM
That's a great bit of advice Saxon, often thought it awkward to ring a farming asking permission there's nothing possitive in it for him but doing odd job I'm sure most would more than happily let you camp.

Silverback
27-06-2013, 12:20 PM
That's a great bit of advice Saxon, often thought it awkward to ring a farming asking permission there's nothing possitive in it for him but doing odd job I'm sure most would more than happily let you camp.

T^

ADz
27-06-2013, 03:53 PM
ADz if I can make a suggestion? If you can find an area that looks promising, say a small piece of woodland/scrub, make enquiries to find the owner. If it's farmland very often the offer of 'free labour' in exchange for permission to use the wood will do the trick. Tell them what you wish to do ie: low impact Bushcrafting.
I used to do a lot of Pidgeon shooting, some farmers in those days wanted up to £30 a day!! I used to work a few days stacking straw bales, putting up/repairing fencing, anything, I even emulsioned the inside of the farm office one weekend. Used to leave them a phone number, if they wanted a hand with anything they knew they'd only have to give me a call. Once they knew me it worked a treat.
Result..I had shooting over 4 farms, camp overnight if I wanted and never paid a penny..
It's a pain to find and means a bit of legwork but farmers/landowners don't often turn down extra...free..labour. Good luck mate.:)

I would love too but never knew how to approach/start converstaion or how to find owner other then to knock on doors and then would probably muck it up. I'll go on a bit of a reccy and see if I spot anybody and try offer some labour, Thanks for advice bud, much appreciated :)

Hi Adz,
I can sense your keen to get out in the woods. Have you considered a quiet camp site near to a nature reserve where you can camp legally for a small fee and still visit the woodlands and reserve area for a walk and brew etc.
I have seen this one near you and it looks interesting and is next to a nature reserve. You probable know the area better than I , but just a thought where you can get out without any apprehension.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=7657
I have done this in Snowdonia using a small camp site as a base and walking into the forestry areas to my hearts content. Not exactly wild camping but I still managed to get out.
:)

Tbh its mostly the overnight in woods that I'm looking forward too. I have camped on many a site over the years and would just really love to go wild more, Its becoming an obsession that I need to feed.

I have absolutely no problem with stealth camping as long as I have respect and leave no trace, If I was caught by land owner I would just explain and hopefully he would see that I wasn't doing any harm and then as mentioned I could have a chat and offer some labor. Ideally though it would be good to get some prior permission.

My advice would be to pick a nice night, have a belly full of grub beforehand, go for a night time walk and stop up somewhere for an all night sit down/shuteye - you don't have to have a fire or have to have a shelter or camp to be in the woods.

It was mostly just to chill out and do a hammock camp in the woods really. It looks like there is plenty of other smaller locations in area (non-reserve) which would be more suitable for the over-nighter and I could just spend day walking about the reserve :)

I just got excited when I found the place as I have been seeing allot of videos of people spending in nights in such places and I have been so jealous. :(

Thanks for the replies/constructive advice guys, much appreciated T^

El
27-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a nice place to camp, I mean to visit :)

NickB
27-06-2013, 06:43 PM
A nature reserve is a little high risk and wouldn't advise it meself. I tend to look for places where no-one appears to have walked through much. These woods can be very small, perhaps long and thin and not very inviting at first. But it's these little scraps of woodland that can be some of the best.
I've tried to ask land owners in the past and even offered a little money but they don't need and it and I've been treated with abuse and threats so I've stopped asking. What's that phrase "It's easer to ask forgiveness than permission"?
Generally the land owners have never liked having peasants walk across what they like to think is their land ever since they put the fences up to stop us in the 17th century land enclosure act.
So, learn the law and try not to break it tooo much.

shepherd
27-06-2013, 08:30 PM
@ adz... in regards to your last comment, iv worked on farms since i was about 14 and still do to this day, as i imagine alot of guys on here have... take it from me farmers can use all the help they can get, and if its free they'll take your arm off, you cant really 'muck it up'... offer to help round the farm, do the jobs they dont enjoy themselves like stacking bails etc and they'll give you permission.. (especially if your shooting/ferreting etc as it takes care of their pests too.).. but bare in mind if you mess up and leave a mess like rubbish etc (im sure you wouldnt anyway) your name will get round and you wont find permission in your area again... seen it happen with air rifle hunters many times.

ADz
27-06-2013, 09:27 PM
A nature reserve is a little high risk and wouldn't advise it meself. I tend to look for places where no-one appears to have walked through much. These woods can be very small, perhaps long and thin and not very inviting at first. But it's these little scraps of woodland that can be some of the best.
I've tried to ask land owners in the past and even offered a little money but they don't need and it and I've been treated with abuse and threats so I've stopped asking. What's that phrase "It's easer to ask forgiveness than permission"?
Generally the land owners have never liked having peasants walk across what they like to think is their land ever since they put the fences up to stop us in the 17th century land enclosure act.
So, learn the law and try not to break it tooo much.

That was my thoughts originally because its hard to find land owner on random/non-farm land.

@ adz... in regards to your last comment, iv worked on farms since i was about 14 and still do to this day, as i imagine alot of guys on here have... take it from me farmers can use all the help they can get, and if its free they'll take your arm off, you cant really 'muck it up'... offer to help round the farm, do the jobs they dont enjoy themselves like stacking bails etc and they'll give you permission.. (especially if your shooting/ferreting etc as it takes care of their pests too.).. but bare in mind if you mess up and leave a mess like rubbish etc (im sure you wouldnt anyway) your name will get round and you wont find permission in your area again... seen it happen with air rifle hunters many times.

Thnx bud, I'm definitely going to give it a go when/if I get a chance at some point. There is some plenty of farmers fields not too far away from me but not many farm houses so will have a good look about see if any are near wooded areas check the places out. It would be a dream to have a nice place with permission :)