PDA

View Full Version : What to get for my nephew

FishyFolk
27-06-2013, 02:03 PM
My newphew is celebrating his 7th birthday in the weekend. And that is being done in quite a bushcrafty environment as both the lad, and his parents are quite outdoors kind of people.

Last year the lad wished for a compass, I got him one, and with me as his uncle he had a knife at age 5. He's got a million other toys so I thought I'd continue the "tradition" of gifting him with bushcraft kit. But what to get?

Any ideas?

fish
27-06-2013, 04:40 PM
lil meths burner and a one egg wonder frying pan to cook a sausage at a time under supervision.

or a wooden whistle?

jus_young
27-06-2013, 04:57 PM
lil meths burner and a one egg wonder frying pan to cook a sausage at a time under supervision.

or a wooden whistle?

I would have suggested the same.

There is also the option of flint and steel, my son had his at 8 and got a spark easy enough.

FishyFolk
27-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I would have suggested the same.

There is also the option of flint and steel, my son had his at 8 and got a spark easy enough.

Brilliant idea, but none of those can be had by saturday I am afraid.

rossbird
27-06-2013, 05:14 PM
All the above.
Maybe a copy of Mors Kochanski`s Bushcraft.
A great reference for his future outdoors.

FishyFolk
27-06-2013, 05:15 PM

or a wooden whistle?

Good one, but he allready has the Trangia 27 :-)

You can see where this is going....the kid is quite well equipped allready.

FishyFolk
27-06-2013, 05:16 PM
All the above.
Maybe a copy of Mors Kochanski`s Bushcraft.
A great reference for his future outdoors.

He is seven...still 3 years until he starts English in school and nobody has heard about Mors Kochanski here...

Kit Mac
27-06-2013, 05:24 PM
How about a small tarp for making dens and such?

El
27-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Sounds like his pretty well equipped, how about a cheapish digital camera so that he can take pictures of his adventures ?

FishyFolk
27-06-2013, 05:37 PM
How about a small tarp for making dens and such?

Bingo!