PDA

View Full Version : Which hatchet/ Mini axe?

Under My Basha
28-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Few weeks back found my grandads old hatchet hoping it to be a diamond in the rough. It wasn't. It's made of terrible steel and doesn't hold an edge so I'm needing a new one. Being completely honest with myself about my needs I've narrowed it down to the Grandsfors hand hatchet, husqvarna hatchet or the Hultafors mini trekking axe. I'm wanting this to last a life time so don't mind paying out.
My question is has anyone used these hatchets/ mini axes before and what you recommend?
If this has been already covered I apologise 91359136
Would you say the amazon deal was worth it?

Thanks for any advice guys its much appreciated
-mick

Tony1948
28-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi mick,any one of them axe's are A1,all made in Sweden...I think...I do now that the GB will the most money,but the other two are good axe's,I do think you mite get a better price off ebay if there are any on there.If and when you do get one and if you need a better sheath let me now I'll see wot I can do for you.9137I made this for Rune9138And his one for my own GB.Atb.............TONY.

FishyFolk
28-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I love my sheath from Tony so absolutely do get one from him :-)

As for the Axes. As Tony said anyone of them is as good as the others. It's just cosmetics that separates them really :-)

Under My Basha
28-06-2013, 01:05 PM
The sheaths are an incredible level of craftsmanship Tony I will 100% take you up on that, I'd love a Celtic pattern.
I think I may have missed to boat with prices, lots of old forum posts saying the others were cheaper but not much difference now. Looking like a Grandsfors...the obsession has started :happy-clapping:

Tony1948
28-06-2013, 02:23 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HULTAFORS-CLASSIC-MINI-HATCHET-AXE-STICK-CHOPPER-KINDLING-BUSHCRAFT-840760-/261172898168?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item3ccf1e2978#ht_1765wt_924 ant bad price mick and free postage.

Tony1948
28-06-2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HULTAFORS-CLASSIC-MINI-HATCHET-AXE-STICK-CHOPPER-KINDLING-BUSHCRAFT-840760-/261172898168?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item3ccf1e2978#ht_1765wt_924 ant bad price mick and free postage. Another one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HULTAFORS-CLASSIC-MINI-HATCHET-AXE-STICK-CHOPPER-KINDLING-BUSHCRAFT-840760-/261172898168?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item3ccf1e2978#ht_1765wt_924 Ronni sunshine also do a cheeper BC axe hope this helps Atb ...........TONY.

jus_young
28-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Roselli Wildlife Axe

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9142&d=1372456101

I am really liking mine

hedgemumper
28-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi Mick, I recently got a Husqvarna hatchet, had to do some work on the grind but it takes a lovely long lasting razor Sharp edge all for 18 quid plus VAT... well worth every penny...!
I've been using a GB small forest for years
but wanted somethin shorter like the wildlife hatchet but without paying mega-bucks....

Lovin those sheaths Tony... do you make them to order...?

OakAshandThorn
28-06-2013, 11:35 PM
I am a big fan of the Wetterlings Wildlife axe, which I bought from the Amazonian for a little less than $85. The cutting edge is a bit shorter (by half an inch or so) than the Gränsfors Bruks Wildlife hatchet, but the head is slightly heavier and more wedge-shaped, making it a better splitter. I find only one drawback - the sheath (now, I don't know if this is just with my hatchet or if other Wetterlings users have the same issue) does not snap closed as securely as those of Gränsfors. It won't fall off the axe head, but it's something to be aware of. Wetterlings axes come sharp but not hair-shaving, so you may want to spend a minute or two honing a good edge.

Husqvarna axes are currently being made by Hults Bruks/Hultafors and are an excellent value, but you will need to replace the sheath (it's more like a blade cover) if you purchase one, as they fall off easily. You will also need to spend a few minutes with a stone to sharpen a keen edge. The heads on Hults Bruks and Husqvarna axes are similar to Gränsfors in that the cheeks have a curved taper instead of the more wedge-like shape on Wetterlings - this makes them better choppers.

Here's a size comparison of the Wetterlings Wildlife next to the Gränsfors Bruks Small Forest axe:

snowleopard
30-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Husky hatchets for me....

Under My Basha
30-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Looking around I can not believe how ripped off the UK is on the price of hatchets and tools, can't see how shipping from Sweden to the states can end up cheaper than the UK. All hand hatchets I've seen range from £40-£60 so I'm thinking go with Gransford hand hatchet. The only wildcard is the Gransfors mini hatchet seen such mixed reviews seems perfect for what I need just abut concerned if it can split effiently. I'll have to check out husky thanks.

Under My Basha
01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Going with the Cold Steel frontier hawk, I know it isn't at all to the specs I wanted but seeing all the customising that can be done will give me a good little project. Planning to fix it up shorten the handle and get a custom sheath.
Birthday is soon so will have to leave open Gransfors catalogues lying around.

roberts
20-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi, I have a gb wildlife Axe I think that's what's its called anyway but its great for chopping small firewood around the camp fire and works very well for me it seems to be lasting a very long time as well

FishyFolk
20-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I've discovered that my full size Hultafors felling axe is actually lighter to carry than my hatchet. So whenever I go out with a full sized pack i bring that instead of a small hatchet. That way I have a really good axe with me :-)

...Whenever my bottom...it's happened once...lol...but you get the point :-)

Under My Basha
21-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Was it?! That's a surprise! Would love a felling axe but I have to think pack ability hiking. You had and problems stowing it? Would prefer if it wasn't on the outside.

FishyFolk
21-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Was it?! That's a surprise! Would love a felling axe but I have to think pack ability hiking. You had and problems stowing it? Would prefer if it wasn't on the outside.

Yes the head on the Hultafors Felling axe is 850 grams, while my cheap hatchet is a kilo. And since the handle on the felling axe is 65 cm, thats only 25 cm longer than my hatchets. The weight came in just about the same or slightly lower.

With a decent mask (it does not come with any mask at all, Tony on the forum made me one), it should go easily into a bergen sized pack. But I strap mine on the side for easy access. I would carry my hatchet there anyway.

David_JAFO
21-07-2013, 01:02 PM
hello,
I have one of each a Grandsfors hand hatchet, Husqvarna hatchet & the Hultafors mini trekking axe. The latter Hultafors I was given a spare one of these recently as a gift. I like both your blade protector sheaths Tony superb workmanship do you make them to order...? :wink:
Regards
David

David_JAFO
05-08-2013, 01:47 PM
hello,
Update The Hultafors I was given a spare one of these recently & the older one now refitted with a new hickory handle, just requires a quick sand & oil to bring the grain up :wink:
Regards
David