PDA

View Full Version : Byer MicroRope Hammock System?

ADz
04-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Has anybody tried the Byer Microrope suspension system for hammocks?

I came across them on youtube and thought they looked decent mod, lower weight and quicker/easier to use. Is anybody using them here or have used them in past? Just looking for some opinions on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioOtyZWvzMs

Stamp
04-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Looks ok but I like to have my hammock tight so I sleep level, I think there are better ways to achieve that for me personally.

If you just want a quick, light set up they look good. But I bet you could make it yourself with some climbing rope?

Silverback
04-07-2013, 02:01 PM
But I bet you could make it yourself with some climbing rope?

I use 2 dynema slings for tree huggers, 2 alloy Krabs for connectors and a bit of amsteel blue threaded through the hammock ends as continuous loops, i can extend the hang length by threading the suspension systems through each other, or shorten them by clipping through the loops. I also carry a spare sling, always comes in handy :)

Total cost.....£3 for the amsteel the climbing stuff was free as they were all condemned fro climbing use due to age or abrasion damage ok i wouldnt trust them to a dynamic fall loading, but as part of a static system they should be good for years

jus_young
04-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Tree damage!!!

Anyone using narrow cord wrapped around the tree like that to hang a hammock should be hung from it. This will damage the bark and ultimately the tree so use the tree straps/huggers folks. :mad:

Silverback
04-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Tree damage!!!

Anyone using narrow cord wrapped around the tree like that to hang a hammock should be hung from it. This will damage the bark and ultimately the tree so use the tree straps/huggers folks. :mad:

Must admit I didnt look at the video / product...but now I have. As Jus says Adz this will damage trees.

Adam Savage
04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Tree damage!!!

I agree Jus. I always use 2" wide huggers, whether using SLS or direct to hammock fitting.

Rasputin
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I use liros dyneema rope you can buy on ebay 5mtr of 4mm =£3.50 + p&p, it has a breaking strain of >700lbs ie 50 stone. You could easily make ali toggles but I use ABS tent stakes and a marlin spike hitch.....cheap and quick to do.Hope this helps, Ken. LNT. Oh forgot to say I use this system with tree huggers on the tree first

jus_young
04-07-2013, 10:46 PM
...Oh forgot to say I use this system with tree huggers on the tree first

T^

Welcome to the forum Ken. Pop in here http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Introduce-Yourself-amp-Welcome-to-the-Community! and introduce yourself to the community.

ADz
05-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Tree damage!!!

Not that I don't believe you but I dont really see how they could do any damage?, Dont DD and other companies also sell "whoopie slings" which are even more narrow? The Byer ropes are sold on bushcraft store and others. I can understand your logic, ie more narrow could potentially dig into tree etc but they would have to be very narrow and carry heavy weight to do that surely? If that isnt what you meant please give more detail.

btw, I haven't bought these or saying I'm going to try them, Just curious and wanted info so thanks for reply. Think I'm going to just mod the original webbing with karabiner clip or get some tree huggers for now.

Kit Mac
05-07-2013, 05:49 AM
It's true, the narrow rope can under tension cut into the trees nutrient mechanism in the inner bark, effectively 'ringing' the tree. Generally woopie slings are used in conjunction with tree huggers, the huggers spread the load more evenly across the bark and don't cause this damage.
The DD suspension system's not a bad deal to be fair, although you could do it without the krabs and just larks head the woopies directly onto the hammock using the woopies fixed eye. If your worried about water ingress just tie a bit of paracord onto the woopie to act as a drip line :).

ADz
05-07-2013, 06:08 AM
It's true, the narrow rope can under tension cut into the trees nutrient mechanism in the inner bark, effectively 'ringing' the tree. Generally woopie slings are used in conjunction with tree huggers, the huggers spread the load more evenly across the bark and don't cause this damage.
The DD suspension system's not a bad deal to be fair, although you could do it without the krabs and just larks head the woopies directly onto the hammock using the woopies fixed eye. If your worried about water ingress just tie a bit of paracord onto the woopie to act as a drip line :).

Ah now I see, not looked into them properley yet. So the whoopie slings are for replacing the webbing in the hammock itself and then these connect to the huggers that go round tree?

jus_young
05-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Thanks Kit Mac.

Don't worry Adz, not having a go, just sending out a little message to folks there. Hanging a hammock is one of those things that you never stop learning about really. I would recommend watching Shug Emery's series of 'Hammock How To's' on YouTube for anyone thinking of tree dwelling.

ADz
05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks Kit Mac.

Don't worry Adz, not having a go, just sending out a little message to folks there. Hanging a hammock is one of those things that you never stop learning about really. I would recommend watching Shug Emery's series of 'Hammock How To's' on YouTube for anyone thinking of tree dwelling.

Yeah been meaning to have a good sit and watch through his vids, Last time I tried was tired and couldnt take in what he was saying properley because of his style, Will give it another go.

Adam Savage
05-07-2013, 08:52 AM
You'd be surprised how soft some trees can be. Even the standard rope that comes with most hammocks can leave a ring groove on trees. Especially when the sap is rising.
It may not cause permanent damage that often, but best to avoid any risk at all, if possible :)

Kit Mac
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Adz I've got a couple of different hammocks with different suspension systems. If you ever want to try before you buy gimme a shout. Same goes for your sharpening stones thread, I've got ice bears and some Arkansas stones if you want to have a go :)

ADz
05-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Adz I've got a couple of different hammocks with different suspension systems. If you ever want to try before you buy gimme a shout. Same goes for your sharpening stones thread, I've got ice bears and some Arkansas stones if you want to have a go :)

Thnx for the offer bud, much appreciated. T^

I'm away next weekend at the meet in Wales so that should give me opportunity to see some different hammock setups and have a go in my own. :)

Which systems do you have/prefer out of curiosity?

Rasputin
06-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Hey Adz, Where and what is the welsh event ?. I only seem to see them on here ( in Events ) after the event. Is there a forum that I'me not seeing on here ? LNT, Ken

Silverback
06-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Hey Adz, Where and what is the welsh event ?. I only seem to see them on here ( in Events ) after the event. Is there a forum that I'me not seeing on here ? LNT, Ken

Firstly let me welcome you to the forum...Why not pop over to the intros thread and say 'h'i to the forum.

The meet of which Adz is discussing is this one

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5720-Northern-Soul-Three-Return-of-the-Old-Barnsley-Seven-Date-poll&highlight=northern

Kit Mac
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I've got webbing and descender rings on one of my hammocks and woopies with tree huggers on my other. The woopies win hands down.

suggy
07-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Go with the tree huggers rather than the Boston stranglers mate. I'l be bringing some stuff to NS3, so you can see what makes hanging easier for you.

I wouldn't worry about the suspension mate for a test weekend, If you can knock up a cheap underquilt from a bargain sleeping bag, try that on the second night after trying the thermarest on the first. That'l be the biggi, comfort ! was to me anyway. That said, you barely notice those Poundland windscreen reflectors. (buy two) adequate for this weather and far more comfortable than karrimats, deffo more than inflatable ones. Give it a try mate, £2

:)