PDA

View Full Version : stoves wood, gas ect

collier89
06-07-2013, 02:34 AM
hi being fairly new to the wild camping here looking at stoves cooking is a pretty important part of bush craft, so i see the importance of a reliable good stove and reading a few posts see most people prefer the wood gas stoves. i havent read all the threads so might of missed out but no one seems to of heard of the kelly kettle. is there any reasion why? i have one the scout model and was wondering was it due to the size of the stove, weight ect. as for me cooking and having hot water go hand in hand and being able to do to things at the same time seemed pretty good to me the ability to boil water for a brew while being able to heat milk for pancakes ect. any thoughs or susgestions would be helpful and sorry if anyone has covered this before.

all the best dave.

ADz
06-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Hi Dave welcome to NB :)

It seems plenty of people have discussed the Kelly Kettle..
http://i.imgur.com/QVY1kro.png

Those are just ones with it in topic title. Click on the magnifying glass icon in top right without any keywords and it will take you to advanced search where you can get more accurate results.

The type of stove/cooking tools to buy depends on personal preference and what you intend to cook. I personally have various different setups as I'm kind of addicted to getting new kit. My favorite has to be the wild stove as I like the idea of using twigs/wood to cook a meal. Ideally though it would be over a fire but I am pretty new myself and get out very rarely. However if I was going somewhere where there may not be any wood or not enough to cook with I would take my Optimus Crux Weekend HE kit or Trangia Set as you can whip up some noodles or boil in bags in no time.

If all yours and water/milk based then a kettle would likely be best solution however it wouldn't hurt to look into and maybe try different setups (Budget permitting ofcourse).

jus_young
06-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi Dave

Another popular one amongst folks here is the Honey Stove by Backpackinglight. Not a gas stove but quite flexible in how it can be used.

ADz
06-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi Dave

Another popular one amongst folks here is the Honey Stove by Backpackinglight. Not a gas stove but quite flexible in how it can be used.

Indeed, great bit of kit and packs away to no size at all in pack :)

rossbird
06-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Dave
think it`s as you suspect, Kelly kettle is a good bit of kit, not the best if on a lightweight trip.
Lots of lighter stoves, many already mentioned. I prefer a small camp fire for cooking, providing the conditions allow this.

Tony

Ehecatl
06-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Dave
think it`s as you suspect, Kelly kettle is a good bit of kit, not the best if on a lightweight trip.
Lots of lighter stoves, many already mentioned. I prefer a small camp fire for cooking, providing the conditions allow this.

Tony

+1 on that. I find with Kelly it's the bulk rather than the weight that's an issue.

M@

saxonaxe
06-07-2013, 09:30 AM
I tend to use the Kelly Kettle on winter day trips which are often walks on the Downs (National Park) where open fires are not appropriate, but a Kelly Kettle doesn't cause problems. Even limited fuel is not always easy to find on the high Downs so I use the space in the body to stow a carried wood fuel supply and a wide elastic band round the cork/spout join keeps it 99.5% water tight, So it's a complete brew kit option. I like the heat off the fire on a bitter cold day, it seems nicer than my little gas stove flame..but I'm a wimp..;) ;)

collier89
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
thankyou all for ur adcive on this i tend to take with me on an over nighter the kettle but due to my job im never short of a few bits of wood however i do like to carry a small amount with me enough for the frist brew. also i take a very small camping gas single burner found it to be very good windy condidtions take longer but most prfered is a small fire. thankyou all

Tony1948
06-07-2013, 10:40 AM
hi being fairly new to the wild camping here looking at stoves cooking is a pretty important part of bush craft, so i see the importance of a reliable good stove and reading a few posts see most people prefer the wood gas stoves. i havent read all the threads so might of missed out but no one seems to of heard of the kelly kettle. is there any reasion why? i have one the scout model and was wondering was it due to the size of the stove, weight ect. as for me cooking and having hot water go hand in hand and being able to do to things at the same time seemed pretty good to me the ability to boil water for a brew while being able to heat milk for pancakes ect. any thoughs or susgestions would be helpful and sorry if anyone has covered this before.

all the best dave. Get one of these mutch better than a K-kettle.9293:happy-clapping:

collier89
06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
hi tony a very good idea however when i go out on to the new forest fires not allowed last thing i want is to anoy people