PDA

View Full Version : Nearly lost a finger today

JEEP
19-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I got me first real knife at the age of ten, I have carried and used knives on a regular basis for more than 18 years. I have been practicing and teaching weapons based martial arts (wma) for a period of 6 years, I have been collecting knives and bladed weapons for 10 years. I have never had a serious accident with a knife - untill today...

I was teaching my scouts (aged 10-13) how to make a one-stick fire and how to split wood with a baton and a knife.
I had just sharpened my usual carbon steel Eräpuu puukko, it is wicked sharp!
I had a long business meeting yesterday evening, causing me to be a lot more tired after todays work than usual.
While demonstrating the splitting technique, two of my scouts started fooling around with their knives, distracting my attention from my blade.
My blade slipped, cutting upwards diagonally, halfway through the ring finger on my left hand aswell as slicing off a small piece of the side of the finger. Had the cut been angled just a wee bit sharper I would have cut a big chunk of my finger clean off.
Luckily it was dark, so none of my scouts saw how bad it was. I stuck the finger in my mouth, went inside and discretly got hold of my fiancee (she is a scout leader aswell). Luckily we are usually three leaders at any time, making it possible for my fiancee to drive me to the emergence room, without leaving the scouts on their own.
I had grabbed a handfull of napkins, though I still managed bleed everywhere; on the floor of our car, on my Fjällräven jacket and on my brand new Haglöfs shoes (goddamnit!)
Arriving at the emergency room I was looked at by a nurse as soon as i arrived, I guess they were not all that fond of me bleeding all over the counter and waiting room floor :)
To cut a long story short I ended up with three stitches (it should have been more, but a large piece of skin was missing, leaving nothing to stitch).
Both the nurse and the doctor who stitched me up, had a good laugh about the fact that I was wearing a scouts uniform and - as the nurse discovered as he prepared my for a tetanus shot - a WileyX t-shirt with the text "Who says safety isn't cool?!" on the back. We all had a good laugh about that.
It only took 40 minutes, from arriving at the hospital, to clean the cut, stitch me up, give me a tetanus shot and inform me how to treat and take care of the cut. Normally there are 2-6 houers waiting time at the emergency room. I was quite lucky.
Having finished I called my fiancee an asked her to pick me up by car, walking to meet her. After picking me up we proceeded back to the scout's cabin, letting our scouts know that I was allright.
I managed to find the missing piece of my finger, but it was way too small to be stitched back on anyway.
At the end of the meeting, I took the opportunity to repeat some of the classic knife safety advice to my scouts. Of course using myself as a really bad example :zombie-fighting:

Now I have to keep the finger at rest for ten days, untill I can get the stitches removed. The keeping still part us the worst about this.

It is a tradition here to name a blade once it has tasted blood, I think I will name this one Bider, Danish for biter.

I have never figured myself to be an expert knife user, but I have always prided myself of having good and safe knife routines. From now on I will definitely be more humble and aware - especially when having a nasty scar to remind me.

resnikov
19-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow what great story. Glad you are alright and you got to teach your scouts a lesson out of it.

I once did something very stupid with a hatchet whilst I was a scout, took the end of my finger off, it was holding on by a tiny flap of skin. Didn't even know I had done it until my mate asked where all the blood was coming from. No first aid kit on site so patched my finger up with tissues and sticky tape to hold the tissue on. Amazingly the bit of finger reattached its self. I know I was lucky so now I don't go out with out a first aid and think about what I am doing when using sharps.

Bambii
19-01-2011, 08:45 PM
OUCH!

I think i got my penknife when i was 7-8, i think. The day i got it i managed to stab my hand with it, i still have it :)

I also almost lost a finger from my mora, i dont even remember what i was doing but the knife slipper and cut about half way into my index finger. I didn't go to the hospital, i ran it under the tap for a while to wash it out. I couldnt even look at it, it was horrid it was flappin around.

I had to put a bandage around it because it kept bleeding and i was called tampon finger at school for along time..

Martin
19-01-2011, 09:14 PM
The older I get, the more squeamish I get. I had to stop reading once I got the bit about slicing into your finger. :(

Martin

Martin
19-01-2011, 09:18 PM
OUCH!

I think i got my penknife when i was 7-8, i think. The day i got it i managed to stab my hand with it, i still have it :)

I also almost lost a finger from my mora, i dont even remember what i was doing but the knife slipper and cut about half way into my index finger. I didn't go to the hospital, i ran it under the tap for a while to wash it out. I couldnt even look at it, it was horrid it was flappin around.

I had to put a bandage around it because it kept bleeding and i was called tampon finger at school for along time..

Nice story Tampon Finger. :p

Martin

Bambii
19-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Nice story Tampon Finger. :p

Martin

:mad2: RAGE.

Hmm... Im thinking, Martin.

JEEP
19-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Heh... tampon finger...

That is me aswell right now.

paul standley
19-01-2011, 09:56 PM
So the moral of the story is... Your never too big, too ugly or too dam experienced to have that split second loss of concentration so thanks Jeep for the salutary tale and reminder about safety and I sincerely hope you recover with no adverse effects.

It's also a tradition in the UK to call our tools names in similar situations and when I sliced my finger a while back with a wood chisel I really called that tool some names..., mostly beginning with F's and B's....:)

Cheers Jeep.

Paul.

jbrown14
20-01-2011, 02:55 AM
I know I shouldn't be smiling about this thread, but I can't help it. I was just telling a co-worker about the scar and stitch marks that run across the top of my index finger on my right hand between the first and second knuckles. Suffice to say, I was trying to perform a downward sweeping slice of a hanging vine when the knife I thought was locked, rebelled against the strength of the vine and snapped closed on the follow-through. It stopped at the bone.

I have many scars on my hands from various implements, most of them caused when I continued working and knew I should have stopped long ago and taken a rest, eaten some lunch, put up my feet for 20 minutes, but decided that I could do just one more thing first...

It's all part of being human, you are all in good company. :D

Oh, you can look back now, Martin. The scary part is over.

(I'm a little more squeamish than I used to be now too. Had far too many needles stuck in my arms and torso in the last couple of years...)

Cheers!

Aaron Rushton
20-01-2011, 06:09 AM
i the first time i went out spearfishing i shot a nice pollock as i was dispatching it with my knife. as i had my knife in the fish and puching down, the fish thrashed, it went straight through the fish's brain, through my 3mm neoprene gloves and cut halway into my finger. looks like i underestimated the sharpness of my knife. i didnt even notice until saw quite a heavy stream of red float through the water, coming from my finger. i immedietly thought of all the jaws movies and swiftly got out of the water. it wasnt until i took the glove off that i realiased how bad it was. it had cut into the side of my finger to the bone adn i went to the village's small hospital which was nearby, still in my wetsuit! got more than a few funny looks....

luresalive
20-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Happens to us all if you use a knife regularly, we all get bitten.

JEEP
24-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I have just removed the inner bandage to have a look at the cut and give it some air.

Damn, it looks nasty! Now, without all the blood, I can really see how close I really was to becoming Mr. 9½ Finger.

On the good side; it is closing up ok'ish and there is no infection.

resnikov
24-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Go on post a picture.

Martin
24-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Not tampon finger for a while then? ;)

Martin

JEEP
24-01-2011, 08:00 PM
resnikov: I would rather not

Martin: At least not untill tomorrow morning :)

Ashley Cawley
08-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident Jakob, as I read it reminded me remarkably of my story last year...

I've had knives as tools from being young, never had I seriously cut myself with a knife or axe until last year! :(

A classic mistake; walking along a wood with Justin yapping away, we see a nice part to harvest for bow-drill kits and I drop my rucksack to the ground to get my new wildlife-hatchet out to chop this wood. Now with Gransfors Bruks axes I nearly always hold the back of the head in my right hand putting the cutting edge (thick leather sheath on) into my left hand to pull the sheath-buckle off. Only this day here I am chatting away to Justin, not paying enough attention, I pull the axe out of my rucksack (handle first) not first glancing at the head I toss the head to my left hand (as always) to undo the buckle on the sheath, only this time there was no sheath! It had un-done inside the rucksack! :( Razor sharp it was.

Blood pumping everywhere I just grabbed my thumb in an instant and applied pressure, no time to even glance bloody was everywhere and I couldn't release it. Now in this situation; if I was on my own, even if I had a first-aid kit in my rucksack I'd be in a bloody pickle - as both my hands were now occupied; my right-hand holding the rest of my thumb together and trying to stop the blood pumping... in this situation if you were solo your not exactly going to be able to route around your rucksack and get out what you need from the first aid kit. so luckily this is where clothing comes into play; Justin's shemagh was perfect, in no time we had it wrapped round my thumb tight, arm elevated I was on my way to A&E.

Probably in there for 2-3 hours they had to X-ray to check for any bone fragments (being an axe wound they were paranoid it was an impact/blow), they also pulled back the meat (almost one side of my thumb) to check I hadn't severed a tendon) cleaned the wound, many jabs and 7-8 stitches later I was a lot whiter and leaving surgery.

Had fun removing the stitches myself a few weeks later ;) but still it's left an epic scare, feels tight & now my thumb is even fatter!

Lesson: Never take for granted that your sheath will be on when taking gear out of your rucksack - always check, it only takes a glance!

JEEP
08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
At least we get some some cool and manly scars to brandish :D

robin
11-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Glad to hear all of you are okay after your accidents. I do think these stories demonstrate that no matter how much experience we have with sharp things and no matter how careful we are around them, a moments lack of concentration is all it takes to put ourselves in a life threatening situation.

I had 'a moment' a couple of weeks ago that wasn't serious but could have been. I thought it was about time I tried to sharpen my Mora properly, I never have got the hang of sharpening around the curve of the tip and because of it I never really bothered to work on it. I took it out of my bag after it had been sat in there for a couple of months and found it looking a little worse for wear. I spent a good morning cleaning, polishing and sharpening it up to a mirror finish on my DC4 and then spent a couple of days slowly building a smooth dark patina on it with vinegar. I have to say it looks great.

So off I trot with my nice looking sharp knife to get some Horse's Hoof Fungi I had spotted locally a day or two earlier, no problem there. I get home and sit with my youngest boy and try to get at the amadou inside, how hard are those fungi to get into? All was going well when my boy did something which distracted me and... slip ...the knife skims off the outer surface of the hoof and slices open a finger. I was lucky as the fungus pushed the blade up off my finger but it left me with a nasty cut and lots of blood. It could have turned out a great deal worse though and all for a momentary lack of concentration.

It's good to know the knife is really sharp now though. :)