PDA

View Full Version : Elderflower Champagne

Realbark
15-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Just bottled up 6 litres of elderflower champagne today. Got the flowerheads locally and started it all off last weekend. Finger dipped tasted nice but now will let it sit for a week or so. Easy enough to make - water,sugar n flower heads and a pinch of yeast. i didnt have any muslin so strained it off through a tea towel.

OakAshandThorn
15-07-2013, 10:01 PM
T^ Excellent - 'tis quite the summer treat ;).

jus_young
15-07-2013, 10:33 PM
I have never seen them so prolific. Flower heads everywhere this year but don't have the time to do anything :(

Mouse040
16-07-2013, 08:53 PM
I have never seen them so prolific. Flower heads everywhere this year but don't have the time to do anything :(

I agree never seen so many also cherries are amazing this year with ripe fruits already

AdrianRose
16-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Made several batches of Elderflower cordial, pancakes and fritters already this year.
There is definitely a bumper harvest this year.

Ade

jus_young
16-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I agree never seen so many also cherries are amazing this year with ripe fruits already

Had a debate with my 10 year old on that one. We were walking on fallen cherries and he was adamant that they were not cherries as 'they don't come out yet'. Can't even think why I even entered the discussion with the little know it all!

shepherd
17-07-2013, 08:26 AM
didnt realise it was so easy?! may have to look this up and youtube and give it ago... do you need tons of elderflower?

Realbark
17-07-2013, 10:23 AM
didnt realise it was so easy?! may have to look this up and youtube and give it ago... do you need tons of elderflower?

Yep - really easy. I used HFW recipe with about 20 heads in....i used a beer bucket and a garden bucket sterilised to strain into and 2 litre pop bottles to store/bottle.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe

shepherd
17-07-2013, 06:24 PM
i may have to join you in this venture bud!