PDA

View Full Version : plant and fungi I.D ?

BJ
24-07-2013, 03:30 PM
I went for another walk today with my wild flower books and I think I did o.k. with some of the plants but I can't find this one in the book. It is a low growing ground cover type plant with leaves like a privet and small purple/black berries. Growing on the edge of a high level fir forest in partial sunlight. can anyone help ?. (Not the holly in the first picture, i managed to identify that )
Also a fungi growing on the side of a douglas fir tree.

:confused2:

Silverback
24-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Look like what i know as cloudberries alhough the pic isnt great and the fungi lookd like a birch polypore........only its not on a birch so mmmm..... artists conk i reckon

BJ
24-07-2013, 04:10 PM
thank you, I can add the labels to my photo's now. T^

Silverback
24-07-2013, 04:14 PM
thank you, I can add the labels to my photo's now. T^

they arent cloudberries though....what i actually meant was BILBERRIES / BLAEBERRIES / WIMBERRIES doh ! We have loads round here to the point we have a place called Wimberry Rocks

Mouse040
24-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Hmmmm bilberrie leather I trade amadou for bilberrie leather with a friend of mine from up in whippet country great find T^

Stamp
24-07-2013, 08:28 PM
The birch Polypore is worth remembering, you can use it like a strop to sharpen your knife and make a plaster for a cut finger.
They are edible but not worth trying for their flavour.

Mouse040
24-07-2013, 09:15 PM
The birch Polypore is worth remembering, you can use it like a strop to sharpen your knife and make a plaster for a cut finger.
They are edible but not worth trying for their flavour.

Birch polypore is as you say edible but tastes like cack but making it into tea is a much better way to utilise it as you say they make great strops but it takes a lot of work ,well worth it if your interested in natural material crafts I've seen them mounted with glue made from bluebell bulbs crushed and reduced over heat to make a sticky glue ,

Just to add that definitely is not a polypore :D
This one is

Silverback
24-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Just to add that definitely is not a polypore :D

Actually it very well may be a birch polypore. Look at BJ's pic no 3...if Im not mistaken that isnt a douglas fir..its a birch tree

Mouse040
24-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Actually it very well may be a birch polypore. Look at BJ's pic no 3...if Im not mistaken that isnt a douglas fir..its a birch tree

I agree a birch but the coloration on the fungus is wrong for polypore the shaping of the outer curl isn't what I'd expect to see but it's a photo and I'm only sharing my opinion fungus really isn't my strength so I'm happy to bow to you more knowledgable folk ;)

Silverback
24-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I agree a birch but the coloration on the fungus is wrong for polypore the shaping of the outer curl isn't what I'd expect to see but it's a photo and I'm only sharing my opinion fungus really isn't my strength so I'm happy to bow to you more knowledgable folk ;)

I reckon its dead and thats why the colouration is wrong as it has lichen or similar growing on it, and thats the interesting and frustrating thing about fungi, they can often throw you a curve ball. Exchanging views and opinions is how we gain knowledge..we are having a virtual chat about features on a fungi that may help identify it

Mouse040
24-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I reckon its dead and thats why the colouration is wrong as it has lichen or similar growing on it, and thats the interesting and frustrating thing about fungi, they can often throw you a curve ball. Exchanging views and opinions is how we gain knowledge..we are having a virtual chat about features on a fungi that may help identify it

I agree an old boy for sure i have no experience to how long they last once dead also the bracket family is so varse I leave it to you T^

Silverback
24-07-2013, 09:57 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CtvOF6IgCws/TY2PyQgNpxI/AAAAAAAADss/ZaBKjse7uNI/s1600/040909-piptoporus-betulinus+Birch+polypore.jpg

mmmm similar....

Mouse040
24-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Yes similar in coloration but with the distinctive pleating of the polypore and the upper curl of the outer rim once fully mature ?
What do you think do they go hard enough once dead to keep the bugs from eating them ?

MikeWilkinson
24-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Definitely bilberry and razorstrop fungus. Bilberries make an excellent wine or cordial. And you can't beat bilberry pie. My dogs like um too.
As for the birch polypore great strop when dried. Excellent plaster when fresh. Can be used as a hearth board when dry.

Mouse040
25-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Well that's me vetoed I bow to greater knowledge T^

BJ
25-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all the help, I will get better at identifying plants and fungi eventually. The more I learn the more confusing it can get but with your help It is becoming clearer. T^