PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a camp in cornwall?

Big T
27-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Hiya,

Was thinking of heading over to woodland valley farm for a night soon, anyone up for it?

Anthony.

Kernowek Scouser
27-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I could be tempted fella, but until I start my new job next month, I'm working Saturday days at the moment and the earliest I could make it up to Laddock would be Saturday evening, 7-8 O'clock ish.

Not ideal if you are planning a camp from Friday night to Sunday morning.

But, if you were up for doing a camp Saturday night and Sunday night, then packing up Monday morning, I'd pop along and join you.

But don't worry if what would suit me best, does not suit you fella, my current unsociable work pattern is not particularly meet friendly and I am well used to having to give a meet a miss.

Big T
28-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Sweet. I was thinking of going on the 10th of august. Im prob only going for the saturday night so if you wanna pop along it would be good to meet ya n have a few beers!

Kernowek Scouser
28-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a plan fella :D

I just need to check that SWMBO has not made any plans on my behalf for the 10th, when I speak to her after the match, for good forms sake, but I think it should not be a problem.

Will let you know.

Big T
28-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Cool, be good to meet ya!:)

Kernowek Scouser
28-07-2013, 12:20 PM
You too fella. Opportunities to meet folks of here have been somewhat limited for me, so far this year, for a variety of reason. So it will be ansum to meet up and have a few beers with another devotee of the great outdoors/

SWMBO has just been checking up on me (to make sure I do not drink too much watching the match, negating my ability to do jobs later on) and she has granted conditional permission to attend, so it looks like I'm good to go :D

Just out of interest fella, are you planing on using a tent or a hammock?

If your ground dwelling, there may be another potential legit location, near Carn Brea, that might take your fancy (you are near Helston if memory serves?)

I will double check after the match (3 nil up now :D:D:D) if you are intrigued.

Big T
28-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Ideal! I got a tent at the mo so carn brea might be a goer! Do you know if you can have a campfire there? Nowt better than sittin round the fire while sinkin a few cans!:)

Kernowek Scouser
28-07-2013, 07:21 PM
You can, or could last time I checked. Pm'ed you with more info.

Ashley Cawley
28-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Nice to see folk hooking up :) ... I'll check my calendar and see what I'm doing around then.

Chubbs
28-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Ooh, another camp at Woodland Valley, can I come, can I come !!.

jonni_uk
28-07-2013, 08:17 PM
I will be there

mr.punch
29-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't mind popping down if it's ok to bring 2 of my boys would be tent for the boys and or hammock for me.
Be good to meet you.

Big T
29-07-2013, 04:11 PM
No worries, the more the merrier!:) Where you coming from?

mr.punch
30-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Somerset Devon border.

Thanks, will try to get it sorted what is the cost for the 3 of us per night?

Kernowek Scouser
30-07-2013, 09:44 AM
If you have a look here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/cornwall-devon/woodland-valley-organic-farm-bushcraft-friendly-campsite.html) it says £5 per person, per night and gives you a little overview of the site. Having a quick skim myself, I've can not see anything that indicates if kids go cheaper. But that is not to say they don't have a kids rate.

If no one else knows, you can contact Woodland Valley by one of the following means:

Email: enquiries@woodlandvalley.co.uk
Tel: 01726 882268
Address: Woodland Valley Farm, Ladock, Cornwall, UK, TR2 4PT

Hope that helps fella.

Chubbs
30-07-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm definately up for this one, that definate that I have my rucksack packed already, apart from food and water !!.

Big T
30-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Sweet! Be good to meet ya chubbs!

Big T
30-07-2013, 08:37 PM
So let's get a list of who's going! Should we contact woodland valley and let them know numbers?

1) Big T

Chubbs
30-07-2013, 10:07 PM
We should be able to organise this one until the last minute hopefully as their last music festival was just over a week ago, so this will give us plenty of parking space. Depending on where we camp at Woodland, firewood may be a problem but I have about four tons of it already chopped for the fire at home (most of it drywood, pine, reclaimed) so a few or more bags won't be a problem.

Due to family commitments I will only be available from the Saturday until the Sunday, but if anybody needs a lift in West Cornwall, please give me a shout.

I am wondering whether anybody fancies chipping in for a camp stew and dumplings on the Saturday evening. This shouldn't cost no more than a couple of quid each. I have a propper 7/8 gallon catering pan at home that will do the job and the stew will be prepped beforehand and finished off at camp giving us plenty of time to do other things. Don't worry about paying for it now, we will sort it out on the day.

So who is up for the camp at Woodland Valley then including Big T and myself.

Big T - You keep the numbers seeing as though its your post and please reply to Big T with numbers for camping and stew.

Cheers Neil

Kernowek Scouser
30-07-2013, 11:02 PM
So let's get a list of who's going! Should we contact woodland valley and let them know numbers?

1) Big T
2) Chubbs
3) Colin (Kernowek Scouser)

I'm happy to chip in for a communal meal (money and/or ingredients) and firewood, if needed. I'm going to be working until at least 4pm on the Saturday, possible 5pm and I doubt I will get up to Ladock before 7pm. So if I am not about to help with the fire and food chores, I'll help out with the washing up.

I'm keen to stay Sunday night too, as there are a couple of walks roundabouts I want to do, so I'm happy to speak to WVF about the booking if you like.

mr.punch
30-07-2013, 11:51 PM
1) Big T
2) Chubbs
3) Colin (Kernowek Scouser)
4) mr.punch and boys, Will chip in for stew and bring some logs

Big T
31-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Sweet, stew sounds awesome! Looking forward to meeting you all and having a good night! :)

Big T
01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
New tent arrived today! Got a few other toys now too, can't wait to try them out!

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I've been working like a fool for the last couple of days (18hours+) and as a result have not been on here for a while and even now I still have a touch of brain lag.

This is still happening, yes?

Big T
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm still up for it! Prob going to be there mid Sat afternoon.

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Nice one, with all the extra hours I've been pulling lately, there is a chance I'll be able to head up a bit earlier too.

Chubbs
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Still up for it lads.

I will get final numbers for the stew on Thursday and sort it out. Does anybody have a dietary requirements ?.

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Hello Neil,

I do have a couple of food allergies as it happens.

A mere nibble of a mushrooms, broccoli, salmon, sprouts, blue cheese and cauliflower will give me headaches and nausea. If I accidentally consume a proper mouthful of any of these they can (and have) caused breathing difficulties, dizziness, vomiting and in one extreme instance diarrhoea then unconsciousness (Fun Times)

Not an ideal way to spend your time around a campfire, so best avoided.

Mushrooms are my most common foe, as they turn up in all kinds of meals. If they are necessary ingredient of the stew you are making fella, make it anyway and just let me know, so I can prep my own meal. no great hardship.

Atb.

Colin

Chubbs
04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Mushrooms are my most common foe, as they turn up in all kinds of meals. If they are necessary ingredient of the stew you are making fella, make it anyway and just let me know, so I can prep my own meal. no great hardship.

Mushroom, in a stew, not a chance !!.

Big T
04-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Is it best to contact woodland valley, or just turn up? I only been there once before!

Chubbs
04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Best thing to do is phone them first mate, do you want me to ring him tomorrow.

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
I've never actually been, I have spoken and emailed them a couple of time regarding camps that didn't happen in the end and each time they just asked for a heads up a couple of days before hand.

The main restriction they seem to have is in regards to parking, if they have a wedding on, or scout groups in swapping woggles, then parking is pretty limited. Makes no difference to me as I don't currently have a car and will be making my way there by train bus and foot.

Also if there is a wedding happening, we may be asked to keep a 'low profile' as they have been asked "WHO IS THAT ODD LITTLE MAN WITH AN AXE?" by a domineering matriarch in the past (on one of the previous occasions I intended to go, I was told this as there was a wedding party due in that weekend too).

So personally I would err on the side of caution and contact WVF sooner rather than later. But as I have never been, I'm happy to defer to a more regular visitor, if they say we can just rock up and pay on the day.

Btw, still no word back from the Carn Brea site, so it does increasingly like that would not be an option for any potential future meets... but there is another site that has come to my attention, near Falmouth, that is already used for outdoor activities and camping, by scouts and youth groups, who I have (just) contacted, It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Mushroom, in a stew, not a chance !!.

Good man :D

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2013, 07:55 PM
I've never actually been, I have spoken and emailed them a couple of time regarding camps that didn't happen in the end and each time they just asked for a heads up a couple of days before hand.

The main restriction they seem to have is in regards to parking, if they have a wedding on, or scout groups in swapping woggles, then parking is pretty limited. Makes no difference to me as I don't currently have a car and will be making my way there by train bus and foot.

Also if there is a wedding happening, we may be asked to keep a 'low profile' as they have been asked "WHO IS THAT ODD LITTLE MAN WITH AN AXE?" by a domineering matriarch in the past (on one of the previous occasions I intended to go, I was told this as there was a wedding party due in that weekend too).

So personally I would err on the side of caution and contact WVF sooner rather than later. But as I have never been, I'm happy to defer to a more regular visitor, if they say we can just rock up and pay on the day.

Btw, still no word back from the Carn Brea site, so it does increasingly like that would not be an option for any potential future meets... but there is another site that has come to my attention, near Falmouth, that is already used for outdoor activities and camping, by scouts and youth groups, who I have (just) contacted, It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

... or what Neil said :jumping-joy:

fish
04-08-2013, 10:13 PM
put me down for it!

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2013, 10:27 PM
put me down for it!
Nice one
T^

fish
04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
is it just the one night?

Kernowek Scouser
05-08-2013, 12:07 AM
I think most folks are rocking up Saturday, camping overnight and packing up Sunday. But if you wanted to do Friday night and or Sunday night too, I doubt that would be a problem (as long as you gave the owners a heads up on your intentions).

I'm toying with the idea of doing Saturday night and Sunday night, as I fancy having a wander around the locality on the Sunday. It all depends on the weather, if it is monsoon conditions, like today, I'll probably just pack up and head home too, but if not I'll be sticking around for an extra night, I'd be glad of the company if you (or any other attendees) fancy sticking around for an extra night too.

Big T
05-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Chubbs, if ya could give them a bell that would b awesome!

Big T
05-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Colin, do u want to get the bus to helston and have a lift with me? The site is quite remote, not sure you would get very close to it using public transport!

Chubbs
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Will phone them today

Big T
05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Legend.............!

Chubbs
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Just phoned him and now its sorted.

There is going to be a small party there this weekend so parking may be a problem. Mr Jones has suggested for this time only that we park in a place not far from the main farm.

When driving into the farmyard you have the main barn right in front of you. If you drive up to it and turn right, the road will take you about 50 yards until you come to a junction. Take left and drive down the track past the log store on the left until you come to a bit of an opening and a dead end. This is a great place to camp/hang and our cars will be right next to us. Please don't make the mistake of driving down some old chaps drive on the corner (Woodland Vally House I think) as he has nothing to do with the farm and is not too accommodating !!.

Campers that have stayed in this part of the woods before have left an oven which they built. Its mainly made out of metal trays and mud and the last time I was there, it was looking a bit in disrepair, so maybe we could all have a go at fixing it.

I will try to get there as early as I can so I will stick some signs up with 'NB and arrows' pointing the way. From the main farm its only a couple of minutes walk, so its not too far away.

If we don't see Chris Jones on the day, I have arranged to do the usual and stick the money in an envelope and attach it to his office door !!.

Big T
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Nice one mate! Wot kinda time u getting there?

Chubbs
05-08-2013, 11:23 AM
My oldest daughter is on her way back from Plymouth now and she will be looking after my other two on Saturday while the missus works, so when she gets I will beg her to have them all day so hopefully it should be early. I will confirm it a little later.

Kernowek Scouser
05-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Nice one Neil,

And thanks for the various offers of lifts. The reason I have not taken any of the offers up is because I do not yet know if I will be finishing work on Saturday at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm or 5pm and do not want to keep anyone hanging about. Also there is a bus from Truro to not too far from the farm and I don't mind walking the remaining distance, as I really enjoy walking (one of the reasons, I don't have a car is, I prefer to walk when I can and would rarely use it).

Anyway my eta would be between 4pm - 5pm if I finish early and 7pm - 8pm if I finish late.

Chubbs
05-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Colin

I will PM you my mobile number when I find my phone !!.

You can then give us a ring and I will pick you up somewhere near the farm if you want.

Chubbs
05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Colin

Inbox now empty !!

Big T
05-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Just started packing! :)

Chubbs
05-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Just started packing! :)

Mine was done the other day !!.

Now that we are camping closer to our cars I will bring a few extra things with me.

Just have to sort out the big pan for the stew and then I'm ready.

fish
05-08-2013, 04:52 PM
so can i come or not? who do i pay?

Chubbs
05-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Course you can Justin, its open to all, no restrictions !!.

Don't worry about the money till you get here mate. Its a fiver a night.

How long you planning to stay mate.

Neil

Big T
05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
The more the merrier justin! Anyone into catapulting? I just bought a black widow, mite bring it for a play.

fish
06-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Course you can Justin, its open to all, no restrictions !!.

Don't worry about the money till you get here mate. Its a fiver a night.

How long you planning to stay mate.

Neil

coming down with mr punch so just the one night.

mr.punch
06-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Can we use tents as well as hammocks? as my boys only have a tent. looking forward to meeting you.
Cheers

Kernowek Scouser
06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I have never been, so someone who has may want to jump in and correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is Woodland Valley Farm is suitable for both ground dwelling and tree hugging. Whether both can comfortably be done in the same area, I do not know.

But I am sure a previous attendee will happen along soon and let you know.

Big T
06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah, tarps or tent, there is room for all!

Big T
08-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I think most folks are rocking up Saturday, camping overnight and packing up Sunday. But if you wanted to do Friday night and or Sunday night too, I doubt that would be a problem (as long as you gave the owners a heads up on your intentions).

I'm toying with the idea of doing Saturday night and Sunday night, as I fancy having a wander around the locality on the Sunday. It all depends on the weather, if it is monsoon conditions, like today, I'll probably just pack up and head home too, but if not I'll be sticking around for an extra night, I'd be glad of the company if you (or any other attendees) fancy sticking around for an extra night too.

Hiya mate! Looks like I'm being banished from the house Sunday night too so will prob be staying ova for the 2nd night if the weather is ok!

Kernowek Scouser
08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Nice one.

mr.punch
09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi chaps,
Due to unforseen circumstances I will not now be able to attend this weekend and as I was bringing fish down nor can he, ah well there is always next time.

Chubbs
09-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Not to worry mate, maybe next time.

So who is coming

Rasputin
09-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Not to worry mate, maybe next time.

So who is coming

Hey Niel, you still got them biners for sale, Ken

fish
09-08-2013, 02:10 PM
ime not gonna make it,troubles at home,sorry.

Big T
09-08-2013, 02:42 PM
No worries! I'm still up for it!

Kernowek Scouser
09-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Another spanner in the works.

The is some issue with the trains after 5pm tomorrow (up to 4.30 is ok and Sunday morning is ok too, but after 5pm nada) and after looking into alternative transport options, it looks like I would not get up to Ladock until 9pm, probably nearer to 10pm. Which is not ideal.

So what I am thinking is this.

As Anthony is banished from the house until Monday morning, I could write Saturday night off to experience (as after a full day in work and an awkward trip up, I'd just rock up, set up and get my head down, which would be no fun) but get the first train up Sunday morning, which with a connecting bus and my two feet, would get me to WVF around 10.30am and give me a chance to say 'Hello' to those folks packing up and setting off, then set up at my leisure, in daylight, then enjoy breathing out and relaxing for the rest of the day.

Not ideal, but the only practical way forward I can see.

Thoughts?

Neil, do still let me know how much you want me to chip in for the stew, my not being there Saturday night to eat it, does not alter the fact you have still sourced the ingredients and prepped it. If you don't have to get off early doors, I'll put some cash in your hand when I shake it :D

Atb,

Colin

Big T
09-08-2013, 04:00 PM
No worries mate! So who is going to be there on Saturday?

Chubbs
09-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm going Big T.

Colin, Where do you live mate

Sorry Ken, sold them mate.

Big T
09-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Gd lad chubbs! Think Colin lives in st ives.

Chubbs
09-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't mind picking him up, its not that far away.

Big T
09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't mind chucking you some petrol money if he does need picking up! Will have to see what he says! Anyone else bringing a few sneaky beers!?

Chubbs
09-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Oh yes !!

Big T
09-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Sweet, didn't want u guys thinking I have snags! Lol!

Rasputin
09-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Have a good w/end lads. Ive got a couple of weeks before the Welsh hangout (what a bore) And dont get slaughtered boys, Ken :rolleye:

Big T
09-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Just a few(!?) sociable drinks........followed by a shed load of anti social ones! Lol!

Rasputin
09-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Just a few(!?) sociable drinks........followed by a shed load of anti social ones! Lol!

And one does have to be sociable, does one not, :p

Kernowek Scouser
09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Hello Folks,

Back from work (lunch break earlier).

I live in Carbis Bay Neil, but I am not going to be finishing work until 6pm now. I wouldn't want to put you out and keep you hanging around waiting for me. And to be honest, if tomorrow is anything like today, I'm going to be cream crackered when I'm done and in need of a little siesta.

So as generous as the offer to pick me up is, I reckon you'd have a better time if you head up to Ladock earlier in the day, rather than kicking your heels waiting for me to finish work; so I will respectfully decline.

But I'll be on the 7.51 out of St Erth, Sunday morning and will see you all around half ten.

Atb.

Colin

hedgemumper
09-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys, I've been given permission to leave the county by the wife:happy-clapping: so would it be ok to rock on down, gotta work a couple hours in the mornin then I'm freee...!
Paul

Big T
09-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Hiya mate! Yeah by all means pop down, the more the merrier!

Big T
09-08-2013, 08:20 PM
No worries Colin, will save a bacon butty for ya! Was thinkin I might fire up me bbq on Sunday if ya fancy it? If u would rather have sommit mare "bushcrafty" that's cool, just thought I would mention it!

Chubbs
09-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Hello Paul, hows you mate.

Drag yourself along mate, the more the merrier.

Fancy some communal stew and dumplings for dinner do you.

Cheers Neil

Kernowek Scouser
09-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Cheers Fella,

A bacon butty is always good and BBQ is fine with me fella, anything you want me to bring to put on it?

hedgemumper
09-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Hi Neil, good thank's bud...
I'd luv a drop 'o' stew 'n' dumplins...!
See y'all tomorrow then...
Cheers Paul.

Big T
09-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Rite on!

Colin - I was thinkin of gettin some chicken and maybe some mackerel if I can find any! If ya wanna bring anything else that's cool but ure welcome to munch on what I'm cooking!

Chubbs
09-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Big T

I will PM you my mobile number as soon as it charges up.

Neil

Kernowek Scouser
10-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Rite on!

Colin - I was thinkin of gettin some chicken and maybe some mackerel if I can find any! If ya wanna bring anything else that's cool but ure welcome to munch on what I'm cooking!

I never so no to food :D but I will also see if I can sneak some snags into my pack too.

Big T
10-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Sweet!

Kernowek Scouser
10-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I hope the weather is better up Ladock way this evening, than it is here in St Ives this evening, proper nasty.

All packed and ready for the off early doors tomorrow morning, have a good night.

Big T
11-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Big thanks to those who turned up! Was good to meet Neil and Paul, top guys! Stew was awesome too! Pics to follow in the pictures thread!

hedgemumper
11-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Great camp guys... definitely do it again sometime soon...!
:camping:

Ashley Cawley
12-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Sorry I didn't make it down guys, I was hoping to make it down if only for an hour or so but it turned out to be a busy weekend with family down etc.

Looking forward to seeing photos, hope you all had a good time!

Big T
12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
No worries Ash, hopefully catch up with ya sometime in the future:)

Kernowek Scouser
14-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Further to PM's sent on Sunday, sorry I could not make this meet.

Between them, my folks have a habit of picking the moment just before I am about to have some fun, to experience a medical emergency. Off the critical list and recovering well now, so all good.

I'm not even going to say maybe next time, as that will just be tempting fate. But hopefully at some point in the future, I will get an opportunity to put some faces to familiar usernames, as we have a drink and a laugh around the campfire.

I hope you all had a grand time and I look forward to the pictures.

Atb.

Colin