PDA

View Full Version : The Crovel

John_McC
30-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Just been watching Doomsday Preppers and saw this tool the Crovel could this be the ultimate bush craft tool ? The big boys Swiss army knife ? or just another over priced tool ? sorry forgot to add even has a bottle opener :happy-clapping:

http://www.gearupcenter.com/products/new-crovel-extreme-ii-note-wait-times-charge-upon-purchase.html

FishyFolk
30-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Jack of all trades, master of none...

John_McC
30-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Some how I think your right and at that price money could be better spent........

Adam Savage
30-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Looks like it might work once or twice, but all folding shovels are pretty poor at digging. Even the Brit army entrenching tools only work well in loose soil.
The Russian army used to have a sharpened shovel, which was designed for close quarter combat as well as digging, but haven't used one myself.

ian c
30-07-2013, 10:41 AM
I have used a few folding shovels and will say that I only broke the handle on the British army one but that was abused, Why would you want a bottle opener on a shovel? when you can use the edge of the shovel, I have used SLR and SA80 mags to open bottles not forgetting a bic lighter, I would spend my money on something else.

John_McC
30-07-2013, 11:08 AM
sorry if anyone thought I was being serious about this tool I'd of thought that the fact I saw it in doomsday preppers should of been a clue, anyway if you see the promo video for it your see who it's aimed at and I don't think we're the market for it. It's claimed by the guy in the show to be the only E-tool your every need. Me as I said already I can think of better things to spend my money on ! Oh and Adam yes in the show he uses it to hack down a pig carcass not a pretty sight.

OakAshandThorn
30-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't think anyone thought you were being 'serious' ;).
But personally I find better use with the humble digging-stick, even in rocky soil (nothing like the sharp twang of a shovel striking rock to shake your bones).

roberts
04-08-2013, 01:54 PM
First thing I noticed in the video is he's bent over which is going to hurt your back after a while so you will end up kneeling or sitting to use where the longer handle will then be to long and you would want a shorter one like the entrenching tool which I may add started life as a cut down shovel till its what we see today with short folding handle I also have my doubt's about the alloy spade end another point is the para cord handle its gonna chaff after a while digging hard soil .

Silverback
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Jack of all trades, master of none...

a collection of second rate tools......isnt that what Sir Ray said about multi tools ? ;)