PDA

View Full Version : Vango firesteel V LMF firesteel????

Big T
31-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Hiya,

Im in the market for a firesteel, there is a camping shop close to me that sells a vango firesteel;

http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product/vango-fire-starter/

They also sell a LMF one;

http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product/light-my-fire-lighting-kit/

In your expert opinions is it worth paying the extra for the LMF one? Im kinda new to bushcrafting and would like to make lighting a fire as easy as possible!

Regards,

Anthony.

saxonaxe
31-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I've been using what I think is called an "Army Firesteel" which is one of the larger LMF types, it's about 2.5 inches long and 3/8" thick. The little steel striker is marked 'Light my Fire' and has their logo on it. I've never used the Vango one but if all LMF steels are as good as my one, then I'd say they were a safe buy. It's about 500 strikes old and throws really good sparks..

beermaker
31-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Some say that "cheaper" fire steels throw poorer sparks but I've used the expensive and the cheap and found I can get fire with both. The only issue with the cheaper ones that I've found is that the strikers are pap. I use decent quality eclipse hacksaw blades in the man cave and when they're worn out I keep them. When I need a fire steel striker, I use the bench grinder to chop a 2" length off the end, remove the teeth and sharpen up the top and bottom edges. The high carbon steel and slight springiness is perfect for getting a good shower of bright sparks from even the cheapest of fire steels.

If you're feeling a little adventurous, you can buy the ferrocerium blanks off EBay for a couple of quid and set them into a handle of your own making using a little araldite.

Only thing with fire steels is to keep them dry otherwise they decompose. You'll know this is happening as the surface goes yellow and dusty. That said, I dropped one in a bucket of water and didn't realise, found it a few weeks later and despite being bright yellow, it still worked, albeit not as well as before.

AdrianRose
01-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi there.

I have been using LMF Army model for years and have never had a problem with it, however, I am a recent convert to the Wildo Fire Steel/Ferrocerium rod.

The history behind it is that the chap who first started the LMF company started it with the guy who now owns/runs the Wildo company. For lots of reasons, they went their separate ways.

The chap who started the Wildo company is an ex-special forces instructor in Sweden.

The striker on them isn't brilliant however the rod throws an almost Volcanic eruption of heavy sparks.

Ade

FishyFolk
01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I use the cheapest ones I can get away with. The handles fall off but I tend to make my own handle from juniper. The strikers are manure but I use the spine of my knife as a striker. All the ones I have had throws better sparks than the LMF one. But will probably not last as long. But I pay 3£ for my cheap ones at the super market, and 10-15£ for the LMF depending on size. So the maths are in my favour I think. The one I use the most, I have had for 3 years now.

luresalive
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I tend to use the cheap ones now too as once you get a good technique with them they are equally as good as the LMF ones

FishyFolk
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I should say that I am not impressed by the quality of the LMF strikers either.....

David_JAFO
25-01-2016, 05:33 PM
hello,
I was browsing the thread on ferro rods. I was given a couple of Vango branded ferro rods recently to try. It doesn't really say where the ferro rod was made UK or overseas? My main ferro rod is a Woodlore 4" inch 3/8th. I traded & GAW a batch of Light My Fire 2.0 Army (larger) & Scout (smaller) ferro rods I received in a clearance sale 2015 & a few I had remaining January 2016 (NBCUK members included). I used the Vango alloy striker serrated edge that came with the ferro rod to scrape some fatwood into tinder/dust works OK. I don't think it would be my first choice of ferro rod to be honest.. it does throw off sparks & lit my tinder no problem. I think I'm going to stick with my Woodlore ferro rod which is firmly in my EDC kit & pocket dump.
Regards
David

shepherd
25-01-2016, 06:06 PM
presumably you recommend the woodlore one david? iv only ever used cheap unbranded ferro rods and am in the market for a new, good, one.

David_JAFO
26-01-2016, 12:20 PM
hello Shepherd,
The Vango was given to me to try I won't dis it. The good quality European ferro rods Woodlore & Light My Fire only difference I'm aware of is the brand name thumb grip both are around the same price pending where you buy them. The Light My Fire 2.0 Army is the larger of the Light My Fire 2.0 Scout. I'll recommend too the Karrimor brand fire steel 4" inch 3/8th from Sports Direct. They're good quality the only draw back I found with a few of these, the ferro rod isn't glued into the thumb grip, which could result in losing such. I had a few of these from Sports Direct cost 99p each in a clearance sale 2015, I traded them. I'm keeping the spare alloy strikers from these ferro rods on a Glo marker lock ring, the Glo marker comes in handy at night incase I drop the strikers. The strikers come in handy for both striking the ferro rod & for scraping fatwood lengths into dust. The Light My Fire striker incorporates an emergency whistle.
Regards
David

presumably you recommend the woodlore one David? iv only ever used cheap unbranded ferro rods and am in the market for a new, good, one.

OakAshandThorn
26-01-2016, 03:57 PM
I have heard of the Vango brand, though I have not tested out their ferrocerium rods. My preference is for LMF. I know some folks love them and others aren't too impressed, I guess it depends on the content of the magnesium and iron. There are harder (more iron) rods, like the LMF series, which throw a shower of hot sparks, but the sparks go out instantaneously unless the tinder is well prepared. The "cheaper" ferrocerium rods don't necessarily throw a great shower of sparks, but send out a few, larger, glowing sparks that stay lit longer. These are softer than the LMF and similar rods, and they have more magnesium content, hence the reason why the sparks glow for a bit after striking.

I have heard that the softer rods are a better choice for wet environments, since a harder rod may be unable to ignite damp tinder in an already humid environment. Magnesium burns very hot and brightly, so it makes sense that the softer rods are a wiser choice from that standpoint.

shepherd
26-01-2016, 11:09 PM
hello Shepherd,
The Vango was given to me to try I won't dis it. The good quality European ferro rods Woodlore & Light My Fire only difference I'm aware of is the brand name thumb grip both are around the same price pending where you buy them. The Light My Fire 2.0 Army is the larger of the Light My Fire 2.0 Scout. I'll recommend too the Karrimor brand fire steel 4" inch 3/8th from Sports Direct. They're good quality the only draw back I found with a few of these, the ferro rod isn't glued into the thumb grip, which could result in losing such. I had a few of these from Sports Direct cost 99p each in a clearance sale 2015, I traded them. I'm keeping the spare alloy strikers from these ferro rods on a Glo marker lock ring, the Glo marker comes in handy at night incase I drop the strikers. The strikers come in handy for both striking the ferro rod & for scraping fatwood lengths into dust. The Light My Fire striker incorporates an emergency whistle.
Regards
David

thanks for the info mateyT^

Tigger004
27-01-2016, 10:01 PM
I bought a really cheap "from China" firesteel set in a magnesium block, scape some magnesium and a quick strike and it's usually business straight away

David_JAFO
31-01-2016, 12:41 PM
hello,
Mountain Warehouse (Glasgow) were again this year selling these made in China ferro rods with alloy striker, the thumb grip was a luminous green as was the striker attachment, sold at a supposed knock down clearance price NOT. sold at same rrp. I checked the brand & details. I posted details on this item last year. Poor quality.
Regards
David

I bought a really cheap "from China" firesteel set in a magnesium block, scape some magnesium and a quick strike and it's usually business straight away

Tigger004
31-01-2016, 06:52 PM
This is the thing I've got 13533

They're great

www.aliexpress.com

shepherd
01-02-2016, 10:19 AM
This is the thing I've got 13533

They're great

www.aliexpress.com

cant complain at that price... ill give it a try!

Peaks
01-02-2016, 01:44 PM
The magnesium + ferro rod combo are pretty effective. Makes lighting hexi/esbit easier if you use it along with scraping some hexi.

David_JAFO
07-02-2016, 09:09 AM
hello,
I've had a look at these Chinese versions. Very similar to the US Military version which also came with a short length of hack saw blade. BTW I was issued with an original by the US Rangers (actually 2) during a NATO UK exercise 1984. The hack saw blade edge has multiple uses, the flat edge was honed & used for skinning (very effective), the opposite rounded end as a screw driver, just to name but a few uses. The serrated edge works great with ferro rods, on these US magnesium blocks the ferro rods wore away much quicker than those available today. Back in the early 80's the attachment ferro rods were harder to come by (no internet trades) once it was spent you were left with a magnesium bar or used in combination with the smaller ferro rod & striker that came with your survival kit. I saved one of my magnesium blocks which I intended to use (never did) I still have it. I originally used the ferro rod once in a demo it has a few scores that's all. At least if I use it now, I don't have to worry, I can replace the ferro rod with a much better quality.
Regards
David

The magnesium + ferro rod combo are pretty effective. Makes lighting hexi/esbit easier if you use it along with scraping some hexi.