PDA

View Full Version : What is your list of basic skills?

susannewilliams
08-08-2013, 08:29 AM
I was in a thoughtful mood today, preparing a class... lots of people talk about the basic gear you need, but what about the basic skills...

What would be your list of basic/fundamental skills?

Super curious to hear your views....

MikeWilkinson
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Hmmm... Depends on your equipment available. Assuming nothing but a pot and a blade. Then I would have to follow the Mors K way of thinking. Not in any particular order but here we go.

Natural Navigation.
First aid.
Primitive fire craft. Mostly fire by friction methods.
Water location and purification.
Sheltercraft - including knot work.
Cordage - production of and uses. This one is more important than you think.
Foraging.
Trapping/hunting.

Camp craft kinda falls in at the end. As you need to establish the above before starting on some of the creature comforts.

Effectively - have the tools to navigate safely in and around your environment. Be able to shelter from all weather conditions. Create fire to both keep warm and prepare clean food and water.
Make cordage or improvise cordage to build your shelters and make your fire bow. Be able to sustain yourself whilst carrying out those activities.

Hope thats not to vague.

Silverback
08-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm with Mike on this one.

FishyFolk
08-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm with Mike on this one.

Ditto, except cordage...

beermaker
08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
sounds like a fairly concise list there Mike, can't think of anything to add which would be deemed essential T^

MikeWilkinson
09-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Ditto, except cordage...

Just curious, but why not cordage? It opens up additional options for your shelter building as well as allowing you to use bow/pump/egyptian drill methods of fire lighting. Which in turn gives you access to larger range of woods for use in your friction method. Also allows you to make your traps for trapping and line for fishing. And thats all before we even think about camp craft - hammocks, nets, bindings and lashings for tables, chairs, a frames, cooking cranes, etc....

susannewilliams
09-08-2013, 07:24 AM
What about

mind/state management skills.

Breathing
Awareness/perception
Mood management
Problem solving....

Body management

Hygiene
Fatigue/Thermoregulation/Hydration etc - not so much first aid as awarenss/specific prevention skills
Movement skills

Such like?

FishyFolk
09-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Just curious, but why not cordage? It opens up additional options for your shelter building as well as allowing you to use bow/pump/egyptian drill methods of fire lighting. Which in turn gives you access to larger range of woods for use in your friction method. Also allows you to make your traps for trapping and line for fishing. And thats all before we even think about camp craft - hammocks, nets, bindings and lashings for tables, chairs, a frames, cooking cranes, etc....

I just have not delved into it as I think that sort of thing is boring beyond belief to make and too time consuming. Mind you I do know how to split some shrub to tie together an a-frame if I need to. I just don't picture me sitting down to make a hammock from materials I find in the wood. If I find myself in a situation where I would need to...i'll use my navigational skills and go home.

MikeWilkinson
09-08-2013, 08:27 AM
What about

Breathing
Awareness/perception
Mood management
Problem solving....

Body management

Hygiene
Fatigue/Thermoregulation/Hydration etc - not so much first aid as awarenss/specific prevention skills
Movement skills

Such like?

Hi Susanne,
Perhaps I misunderstood the question. I assumed direct bushcraft related skills.

I would class some of those listed as everyday skills that I employ most days.
However I would agree that the correct mental state and attitude are fundamental to making the most of being outdoors.

Even when I am just walking the dogs of an evening I take a few minutes to clear the busy day from my mind and spend a few more minutes exploring my senses before setting off. I found the exercises in Tom Brown Jr's nature observation book excellent for doing this. I enjoy them so much that I've started introducing the kids to them.

I would also say that some of the skills listed are more ability than skill and although they can be developed not everyone can find them natural to use. Problem solving is a prime example. Some people are naturally talented at thinking out side of the box and seeing both problems and solutions before they become an issue, others - even with coaching - struggle to identify or even admit a problem until they are knee deep in it.

With reference to the body management I would have classed the first two as first aid related as in all the courses I have attended awareness and prevention are always better than having to cure.

Enjoyed this exercise in thought immensely. Thank you.

MikeWilkinson
09-08-2013, 08:34 AM
I just have not delved into it as I think that sort of thing is boring beyond belief to make and too time consuming. Mind you I do know how to split some shrub to tie together an a-frame if I need to. I just don't picture me sitting down to make a hammock from materials I find in the wood. If I find myself in a situation where I would need to...i'll use my navigational skills and go home.

Lol. It does take patience for fine cord. Grass rope takes minutes though and I have seen it used to tow land rovers out of the mud.

Interesting that you at first discounted it, but then admit to splitting shrubs- I've found that many people don't thing of that as a cordage skill yet it is improvised cordage at its best.

Pretty much every indigenous people I can think of have a method for making or improvising cordage out of a natural resource, whether it be plant or animal.

FishyFolk
09-08-2013, 08:41 AM
What about

Breathing
Awareness/perception
Mood management
Problem solving....

Body management

Hygiene
Movement skills

Such like?

Not something I think much about when out and about. I keep it simple. As in: when in doubt, get the brew kit up and running. Then the Breathing, Awareness, mood management, and problem solving kicks in as you calm down.

I.e S.T.O.P

Stop
Think
Observe
Plan

Hygiene I am okay with, part of my army training + I have a medical condition that makes hygiene very important. So that is squared away.
The medical condition I have also impact my fatigue level. I am always in a state of fatigue actually. So fatigue management shoukld be on my CV....
Thermo regulation, growing up in an arctic environment, and the Norwgian army thought me that one...a skill I practice every day. Both on myself and my kids
Movement skills...just go out there and play.

MikeWilkinson
09-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Not something I think much about when out and about. I keep it simple. As in: when in doubt, get the brew kit up and running. Then the Breathing, Awareness, mood management, and problem solving kicks in as you calm down.

I.e S.T.O.P

Stop
Think
Observe
Plan

Hygiene I am okay with, part of my army training + I have a medical condition that makes hygiene very important. So that is squared away.
The medical condition I have also impact my fatigue level. I am always in a state of fatigue actually. So fatigue management shoukld be on my CV....
Thermo regulation, growing up in an arctic environment, and the Norwgian army thought me that one...a skill I practice every day. Both on myself and my kids

T^

FishyFolk
09-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Lol. It does take patience for fine cord. Grass rope takes minutes though and I have seen it used to tow land rovers out of the mud.

Interesting that you at first discounted it, but then admit to splitting shrubs- I've found that many people don't thing of that as a cordage skill yet it is improvised cordage at its best.

Pretty much every indigenous people I can think of have a method for making or improvising cordage out of a natural resource, whether it be plant or animal.

I am aware of this. But makeing cordage from naturals is just not something I see myself engaging much in. At best it will be to improvise a tripod to hang my kettle from. And then a some split sapling is all I need.
But mostly likely I'll just whip out my little roll of hemp twine for that.... ; :-)

I am in it for the fun, and activities I think is a chore, simply don't get done :-)
So if I am in a land rover that gets stuck in the mud, I get the winch out and pull myself out. For we are not foolish enough to off road in a vehicle that does not have a winch, are we? :wink:

MikeWilkinson
09-08-2013, 09:26 AM
I am aware of this. But makeing cordage from naturals is just not something I see myself engaging much in. At best it will be to improvise a tripod to hang my kettle from. And then a some split sapling is all I need.
But mostly likely I'll just whip out my little roll of hemp twine for that.... ; :-)

I am in it for the fun, and activities I think is a chore, simply don't get done :-)
So if I am in a land rover that gets stuck in the mud, I get the winch out and pull myself out. For we are not foolish enough to off road in a vehicle that does not have a winch, are we? :wink:

:ashamed: :D

David_JAFO
09-08-2013, 10:16 AM
hello,
DITTO Exactly. Taught by the best Winged Capped & Badged (old school) :wink:
Regards
David

I.e S.T.O.P

Stop
Think
Observe
Plan

Silverback
09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
S.T.O.P....... time in and emergency services has taught me this over many years, not something IMHO that can be taught in a single course over a weekend for example - I teach First Aid both in the workplace and in the outdoors as part of my living - most failures on assessment are for failing to check for danger - or not stopping to think - Apart from teaching I have responded to many incidents over the years and despite being trained first aiders many throw safety out of the window at the first sniff of trouble. Knowledge + Training + Experience = Judgement

Keeping clean - Goppers dont stay gopping for long in this mans army ;)

Thermo regulation...from years of working and playing in the worlds etremely cold and extremely warm wild and remote places - you learn..... QUICKLY or need the help of others

FishyFolk
09-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Thermo regulation...from years of working and playing in the worlds etremely cold and extremely warm wild and remote places - you learn..... QUICKLY or need the help of others

Ditto...grew up on the Svalbard Islands and the North of Norway. Been deplyed as a soldier the middle east and the balkans, been working as a civillian in the Middle east, North and east Africa, South and southeast Asia. Seen everything from extreme cold and arid, extreme cold and wet, extreme dry and hot, and extreme hot and wet.

If I did not pick up on this I'd be dead, or likely lacking some body parts by now :-)

TreefrogGB
09-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I.e S.T.O.P

Stop
Think
Observe
Plan

I've always used

Stop
Think
Orientate
Plan

but I think it comes down to the same thing :)

ian c
09-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Goppers used to get a Regimental bath they soon learnt to stay clean afterwards.

Silverback
09-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Goppers used to get a Regimental bath they soon learnt to stay clean afterwards.

Exactly !

jacko1066
10-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm not do bad with most things, fire lighting, putting shelters up, first aid etc.

But I really do need to brush up on my navigation skills, I never a actually been taught, just kind of self learned a long time ago, but as I don't use a map and compass at all in everyday life it's a skill I easily forget!!

MadZ
10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
sorry to ask here but as i was reading through i noticed this

would anyone care to explain what a regimental bath is?? i have some thoughts running through my head, but the only real thing i an think off to make some one bath would be to pee on them, as this would deffo make me go take a shower or bath more than once, if i got this right no need to explain

cheers

Madz, ps sorry if thats classed as a thread hijack, PM me with the answer to keep the thread clean cheers madz

Silverback
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Group activity involving a bath of freezing cold water, several containers of scouring powder, Brasso and brillo pads, yard brushes etc.. Performed upon one who is 'reesty' - An adjective used to describe one who changes his underwear every time England win the World Cup, but minger/gopper is also used.

MadZ
10-08-2013, 05:22 PM
yeah i can see why that would encourage good hygiene over a short time span, a good stiff broom would be like washing with a hedgehog

cheers sapper that made me chuckle

Madz

susannewilliams
11-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I think that for those of us that have grown up in challenging environmental conditions or who have served in one way or another all those body/mind/emotion management skills are so obvious as to not be mentioned.

I do notice, however, that when we are sharing bushcraft and other outdoor skills with folks, that these fundamentals are often not in place, and after a few nasty surprises I have learned not to take this for granted. :-)

Same goes for knife handling and basic use of rope and fire. Amazing really.

In terms of specific bushcraft technical skills I think for me it is location selection, fire, water prep.

I mean yeah - using the basic 5 - but the underlying abilities (yes awesome distinction) and skills that we don't always think of....

FishyFolk
11-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I do notice, however, that when we are sharing bushcraft and other outdoor skills with folks, that these fundamentals are often not in place, and after a few nasty surprises I have learned not to take this for granted. :-)

I mean yeah - using the basic 5 - but the underlying abilities (yes awesome distinction) and skills that we don't always think of....

I got the same experience as you really. Right aftyer my military national service year, I worked a few hours a week at a local youth centre. One of many activities we offered where a the so called "Wilderness group". The various groups at the youth centre where run by the kids themselves. But each group had an adult mentor/minder/fixer/ baby sitter...and for the wilderness group that was me :-)

Any way we took these kids out into the mountains at winter to expereince stuff like sleeping in a tent in winter. How to detect and avoid avalanche prone areas, and how to act if taken by an avalanche etc...after the firts couple if trips it was clear to me that the kids would be fine. It was their parents, who helped them pack their bags that needed classes...to learn that loading 4 pairs of jeans, and 2 1,5 litres bottles of coca cola into your 13 year olds rucksack for a 24 hour stay out in the hills is not very smart...

Anyway, since this is North Norway, and we are very outdoorsy people here, I thought this would not be a problem, but it was. Because what I also learned, was that these kids had parents where not the outdoors going kind of people. But their kids where interested, so they sent them to me...