PDA

View Full Version : fiskars axe

swkieran
21-01-2011, 09:54 PM
i bought one of these todays a big one for general use at home for chopping firewood,it seems like a very well made axe and is made in finland which is also encouraging,has anybody else got or use their axes :campfire:

leon-1
22-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I have a Fiskars axe, I don't use it as much now as I used to, but for their cost they are very good. I have one which is a similar size to the GB SFA, on a trip to Wales with my brother we got to stack the two up against each other and if I am honest the cutting power of the Fiskars equals that of the SFA it may even surpass it.

I would say though that it's nice to use for a short period of time, but due to its balance it is very tiring to use for prolonged periods of time. They are also superb splitters (the grind of the bit and the width of the head ensures that), the initial edge can be a little fragile so I reground mine a little giving it a slightly convexed edge on the bit.

The poll can be used as a hammer, but to be honest I don't like doing that as I'm wary of swinging a sharp edge up towards my face and this does not have a mask that leaves the poll free to be used as a hammer whilst keeping the sharp bit masked and sound.

I would look into getting either an axe file or an axe puck. If you buy a puck get a lansky one, they are comparable to the GB ones, but they are half the price at just under a tenner.

All in all though the Fiskars axes are very good, the edge retention isn't bad once they've been reground and they are damned nigh indestructible through the head and handle. They can be tiring to use, but this is due to the weight distribution between the head and the handle, however they have excellent cutting power and they make good splitting axes.

chrisj
23-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I've had one of these for some time. I think it is an excellent splitter and a couple of strokes over a fine stone after each use has mine razor sharp. The shape of the head means it isn't great for carving but for general camp splitting duties it is excellent. I paid less than Ģ20 for mine on ebay and for that price I think it is really good value. I was so impressed with mine that I even bought one for my brother in law for Xmas.

gabrielo
27-01-2011, 03:17 PM
i got the fiskars 600 hatchet and itīs really a great tool. not really for fine carving, since i convexed the edge of mine, but a superb splitter for small to medium sized wood.

leon-1
28-01-2011, 12:31 AM
i got the fiskars 600 hatchet and itīs really a great tool. not really for fine carving, since i convexed the edge of mine, but a superb splitter for small to medium sized wood.

The Fiskars are good little axes, as had been mentioned the bit profile makes them very good for splitting, I can't really find a lot wrong with them. I have over 14 axes and I would still rate a Fiskars in the top 10, when I bought mine it was before they were publicly both Wilkinson Sword and Gerber. Mine cost me Ģ6, a few years back now, but nevertheless a tool to be reckoned with.