PDA

View Full Version : Bird ID - Wryneck?

Humakt
30-08-2013, 05:57 PM
We often get a greater spotted woodpecker in a tree at the bottom of the garden.
There I was this morning, sitting on the back step eating my bowl of shreddies, and I looked up and saw the familiar silhouette.
Since I had my camera on the dining room table, with batteries in it, I decided to go grab it and take a picture.
I zoomed in and...this wasn't our friendly greater spotted woodpecker! I'm not sure what it is. The beak leaves me thinking 'woodpecker' and checking my books it seems as though it may be a Wryneck. Although the beak does look a bit too heavy for a wryneck, and the it is a tad too dark (although the light was coming in directly from the left of the picture, so the bulk of the bird from my view would have been in shade.
I hope it's a wryneck because I've never seen one before and it would be a fantastic view of a rare bird.
But I'm not sure.
Any ideas?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/9628452191_ec95a1c390_c.jpg

John_McC
30-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Sorry looks like a young starling to me see the spots on the chest ?

jus_young
30-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Does look like a juvenile starling to me. Not a bird expert however!

Tony1948
30-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Yep young starling,sorry Bud.

rossbird
30-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Agree with the above.
Wrynecks often perch parallel to the branch, whereas most birds perch at 90 degrees to the branch.
Very distinctive when seen.

Humakt
31-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Bugger.
Unfortunately I think you are all correct.
When I saw it I did notice the speckling and the thought went through my mind that it was a starling. But the heft of the beak and the size (it'd be a big starling) left me wondering. Didn't really think it was a wryneck either - too big, too dark, beak too big.
But yes, a starling it is. But a starling who had a rhino for a father. He'd make a good forward in the starling rugby squad.
I think my heart wanted one thing but my mind thought another...