PDA

View Full Version : My recent carving projects

Fraxinus
04-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Some more carving projects undertaken on a couple of canoe trips, made from the same branch as the twisted handle spoon (seen in the pic’s and previously posted).

I wanted a general purpose eating spoon and as usual did not have a fixed design in my head but allowed the wood to prompt shape and direction.
I thought it was telling me to put a dragon’s head at the end of the handle (inspired by Fish’s buck Saw posts
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?6004-Nordic-themed-buck-saw-finished ) but it obviously got lost in translation and the wood won. :D

Kind of a Stylized Wolf’s Head.

Still in the works are a spoon for Suzy and a spatula for those errant fried eggs that won’t be picked up without breaking any other way.;)

Thanks for looking in.

Rob.

Silverback
04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
great stuff !

MadZ
04-09-2013, 12:12 PM
really liking the spoons mate, looking good, your dragons head is good i find it hard as hell to get what i have in my head on to the wood properly but thats just practice and technique.

how long you been carving for?? and how many hours have you put into the spoon with the head?

i posted a pic or two of some WIP of a dragon i am carving for the misses as a b'day prezzie as she is mad on dragons, total time on that is 22 hours give or take and its still rough as rough can be.

cheers

Madz

Tigger004
04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I have the imagination of a caravan site, so it all looks good to me

Fraxinus
04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
great stuff !

Thank you.

really liking the spoons mate, looking good, your dragons head is good i find it hard as hell to get what i have in my head on to the wood properly but thats just practice and technique.

how long you been carving for?? and how many hours have you put into the spoon with the head?

i posted a pic or two of some WIP of a dragon i am carving for the misses as a b'day prezzie as she is mad on dragons, total time on that is 22 hours give or take and its still rough as rough can be.

cheers

Madz

Thanks for calling it a Dragon's head :) I am a carpenter and joiner so wood working is almost second nature, however, carving is a skill on it's own and I have done little of it. Other than you see above I have two spoons and a failed spoon that became a small spatula (not big enough to rescue fried eggs from a pan though :ashamed: ) The Wolf Head spoon was about 9 hours spread over several trips (that's a rough guess as i don't time my leisure activities) but it will depend on the wood and how sharp the tools are you have available plus how intricate your wood wants the design to be. Stay with it Madz, I'm sure you will succeed.
(P.S. You can sometimes sand wood into submission, I do! )

Just have a go and let the wood dictate the outcome, a now famous wood carver did from the burnt out ruins of his workshop, not being a carver previously, when I awake at 3am with his name I will post it up 'cos I can't think of it now. :ashamed:

Ta for looking in, Rob.

pountney
10-10-2013, 04:14 PM
great carving i really like the head on the end,fantastic detail.
How do you get a smooth inside to the spoon ? do you use a flatter spoon knife or sand paper ?

jus_young
10-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Hey Pountney, welcome to the forum :welcome:

Pop into here http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Introduce-Yourself-amp-Welcome-to-the-Community! , check out our guidelines and introduce yourself to the forum members. We welcome all newcomers to our friendly forum, just put down a few words about yourself and make yourself at home.

rawfish111
10-10-2013, 11:48 PM

"Imagination of a caravan site" ...... PRICELESS ... a well needed laugh Tigger thanks :happy-clapping:

shepherd
11-10-2013, 08:29 AM
brilliant spoons.. beautiful workmanship

Kernowek Scouser
11-10-2013, 10:56 AM
We all tend to be our own harshest critic, so along with the comments above, please allow me to add to the praise.

Very nice work there fella
T^

I really like that spatula, my attempts to carve one have all ended up like a big, flat spoon gone wrong, but yours looks the business, nice one :D

Fraxinus
12-10-2013, 12:45 PM
great carving i really like the head on the end,fantastic detail.
How do you get a smooth inside to the spoon ? do you use a flatter spoon knife or sand paper ?

Thanks, a sharp spoon knife and small cuts can get it pretty smooth but I am not that patient so some 120grit and 150grit paper speeds things up but a sanding foam pad is used for the final clean up.

We all tend to be our own harshest critic, so along with the comments above, please allow me to add to the praise.

Very nice work there fella
T^

I really like that spatula, my attempts to carve one have all ended up like a big, flat spoon gone wrong, but yours looks the business, nice one :D

Cheers, the spatula started out as a paddle ;)
actually the log split awkwardly and kind of suggested a spatula was in there waiting.

As always feedback or comments gratefully recieved, thanks.

Rob.