PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help on locations?

nature nut
25-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey guys hoping if you could help me out, i have been wondering where i could wild camp and hopefully not on any site. I am looking to camp in the Brecon Beacons area, any ideas?:o:D:D:D

Martin
25-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Dartmoor allows wild camping, Brecon Beacons doesn't. However, if you follow the golden rules of discretion and leaving no trace you should be fine in the Brecons, as you would be in the Lake District, Peak District etc etc etc.

Where abouts are you based NN?

Martin

nature nut
25-01-2011, 08:33 PM
i am living in south wales ten minutes drive from brecon. so im looking for really good areas where i could camp and just not bother people or be bothered if you understand what i mean. Any thoughts mate?

Edwin
26-01-2011, 08:18 AM
This is something that worries me in that we have become so concerned with rules that reasonable activity is being self-censored. Wild and discrete camping was the norm when I was growing up for all that all the books on camping insisted that one should seek permission first.

On a practical level, who is going to bother you?

Jethro
26-01-2011, 10:54 AM
of course the major downside is you're not allowed open fires on Dartmoor

Ivan
26-01-2011, 11:04 AM
you can anywhere on my bit of dartmoor, google earth TQIIOJQ

Shewie
26-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Some good info here .....

http://v-g.me.uk/WildCamp/WildCampLegal.htm

Ken
26-01-2011, 01:17 PM
you can anywhere on my bit of dartmoor, google earth TQIIOJQ

Google Earth is not recognising that...

Ken

Edwin
26-01-2011, 01:30 PM
That reference had this section
"A particular example worth mentioning is The Ridgeway, which we have done. We heard of a first-hand report of a local farmer who said that he often sees a tent pitched on the ridge, but he doesn't mind provided it is gone early by the time he sets off for his work and that no trace is left. This is entirely unofficial and is merely a statement of the way things are in practice at that location, but it shows that all can go smoothly for everyone if people show due consideration. "

There is no reason to wonder if a bordering farm objects or not to camping along the Ridgeway, the matter has been in dispute. The real Ridgeway (not the Ridgeway Long distance path diversions) is a green road and does not appear to belong to the neighbouring landowners. Ideed I have had the National Trust specifically denying that they owned any part of the Rideway that they border.

An analogy has been advance with rivers in that riparian ownership is supposed to go to the middle of the river but this is nonsense on dry-land. Additional evidence is that highway traffic regulations are issued for the Ridgeway which would not be effective if it was private land.

Ivan
26-01-2011, 03:07 PM
ken TQ110JQ sorry mate put letters in instead of numbers my land is to the left of the property and borders the open moor

swkieran
26-01-2011, 03:52 PM
marcus i didnt realise you had tq postcodes up there,im in torbay and there tq aswell im tq3 :)

swkieran
26-01-2011, 04:06 PM
youre not that far buckfastleigh way :),i was over that way last week visiting te abbey,a nice little kebab shop in buckfastleigh aswell :)

Ivan
26-01-2011, 04:16 PM
yeah dont understand it really hope life is good with you meet soon hopefully

Ivan
26-01-2011, 04:17 PM
2 and half miles from the abbey but you climb about 800 feet different world

Ivan
26-01-2011, 04:21 PM
you would be very welcome to come and camp this sat night as ash ,martin and afew others are doing so ,if you cant camp you could have a nose around any time over the weekend

swkieran
26-01-2011, 09:41 PM
thx marcus,id love to mate just really really busy at mo but im dying to get out :),i needs to get a smaller tent aswell as mines a pig to put up lol,ill meet the gang adventually :),im looking foward to it and picking some brains :).tc m8 kieran

paul standley
27-01-2011, 08:07 PM
i am living in south wales ten minutes drive from brecon. so im looking for really good areas where i could camp and just not bother people or be bothered if you understand what i mean. Any thoughts mate?

Nature Nut - I sent you a PM with Brecon Beacons suggestion for a stealth wild camp location for 1 or 2 nights only....Leave no trace.

Paul.

paul standley
27-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Nature Nut - I sent you a PM with Brecon Beacons suggestion for a stealth wild camp location for 1 or 2 nights only....Leave no trace.

Paul.

Also, here is the location of the ONLY permitted Brecon Beacons wild camp site. Next to a spring, near a mountain road in a wide and breathtaking valley. The rule is no fires but at this location lone campers do have small cooking fires and it seems to be accepted. See details inside this pdf file on page 6.

http://www.legalisewildcamping.com/Camping%20On%20Farms%202007%20e%20version2.pdf