PDA

View Full Version : Rosehips - Which One To Use

Chubbs
09-09-2013, 05:11 PM
A while back forum member Fish posted a thread on making Rosehip syrup.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4297-Wartime-rosehip-syrup&p=57061#post57061

I know that the ones to use are the smaller ones but can you also use the fatter rounder ones with 'itchy powder' in the middle, like the ones below.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJhULgYZ44r5N--yNj-fAqvOEZQ6IzDoJt7I10N1F8J1kWsZLABQ

Cheers Neil

Stamp
09-09-2013, 06:09 PM
You need to use dog rose hips mate like these http://juridicious.com/2012/10/15/hip-hip-rose-2/

The others might be ok, perhaps others can help out?

AdrianRose
09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
We make literally gallons of rosehip syrup every year and I've used both types. I personally prefer the "domestic" type but I've also used the plumper japanese rose hips too and they are perfectly fine too.

Ade

Chubbs
09-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks Stamp/Ade.

I have found a few bushes of the smaller 'usual' type in my local park, but straight outside my front door two neighbours have hedges full of the bigger round ones. I think I will try making two types and comparing the results.

Thanks Chaps.

luresalive
10-09-2013, 09:01 AM
I tend to use Japanese rosehips simply due to their size and tastiness

Chubbs
10-09-2013, 09:05 AM
I tend to use Japanese rosehips simply due to their size and tastiness

I will have to give them a try as there are loads of them outside my house. When is the best time to pick this type, is it better to leave them until they are virtually dropping off the bush. Is there much difference in taste between the two.

woodstock
10-09-2013, 09:20 PM
This was something you seen in every chemist up and down the country now hardly anyone sells it, although a fiddly job its easy to make, we too use both any species we find saying that the larger the easier to work with.

Humakt
12-09-2013, 10:01 AM
I know that the ones to use are the smaller ones but can you also use the fatter rounder ones with 'itchy powder' in the middle, like the ones below.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJhULgYZ44r5N--yNj-fAqvOEZQ6IzDoJt7I10N1F8J1kWsZLABQ

Cheers Neil

Yes, use the big Japanese ones - get more bang for your buck. Just take the itchy powder out first or you'll get cooties.

They all taste the same to me, to be honest.

Chubbs
13-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm sat here looking at them as I type. There must be enough to make a gallon or more so I will pop out later and see how soft they are.

Is is better to use them when really soft.

luresalive
13-09-2013, 10:39 AM
I prefer them when they are soft to the touch but not squishy, they taste very sweet at this stage, I often eat as I pick,,, as has been mentioned though, make sure you get the seeds and hairs out

Chubbs
13-09-2013, 04:12 PM
I prefer them when they are soft to the touch but not squishy, they taste very sweet at this stage, I often eat as I pick,,, as has been mentioned though, make sure you get the seeds and hairs out

Thanks again. I will have a look at them in the morning as its monsoon weather here in Camborne at the moment.

Cheers Neil

Islandlady
17-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Can anyone share a fave recipe? I make loads of Jam but never made this - my work has millions of the large ones in the grounds - so I need to get picking.

saxonaxe
17-09-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm sure one of the troop who make their own will reply soon, but here's a couple of recipes from a well respected lady Herbalist, Julie Bruton-Seal.

Raw Rose hip Syrup.

Gently score a few lines through the skin of red rose hips, then layer them in a wide mouthed jar with enough sugar to fill up the gaps between the hips. Leave on a sunny window sill for a couple of months or until the sugar has drawn the juice from the hips and liquified. Strain off the liquid, bottle and store in the fridge. Makes a thick and delicious syrup. Take a teaspoonful or two daily to prevent colds.

Boiled rose hip syrup.

This is the more traditional way to make Rose Hip syrup. (What it loses in it's vitamin C content it gains in having a longer life).
Measure the volume of rose hips and place in a saucepan with half their volume of water..ie: 500ml of water to 1 litre of hips.
Boil in a covered saucepan for 20 minutes, allow to cool then fine strain. For every 2 cups of juice add 1 cup of sugar. Boil for 10 minutes and pour while still hot into sterilised bottles. 1 or 2 teaspoons daily to prevent colds or more frequently for sore throats and colds.

The above is taken from a book I make frequent use of called Hedgerow Medicine.. :)

This may come up as a double reply, but the forum has gone williicky...:D

bushratty
17-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I make it every year.. the kids love it. like Luresalive said the better ones are when they are just turning soft.

Islandlady
17-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks Saxonaxe - like the sound of the raw one too - although how can I find a windowsill that is sunny for two months!! :shocked:Lol!
I make strawberry vodka and damson gin in much the same way - very yummy! Love home brewing generally - (hic!) :0)

Fraser
19-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Nice one everyone..... im inspired enough to give it a try.

Islandlady
19-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Gathering Rose hips after work today! :o)