PDA

View Full Version : The Honey Stove

Ashley Cawley
18-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Has anyone out there used the Honey Stove? I've not long had one and I'm just trying it out. I would like to hear people's thoughts or tips with the stove.

blackwood
18-11-2010, 06:44 PM
ive had mine for a year now i use mine with wood and my whitebox stove i like the fact it packs away flat not the lightest of stoves but strong

Ashley Cawley
18-11-2010, 09:21 PM
ive had mine for a year now i use mine with wood and my whitebox stove i like the fact it packs away flat not the lightest of stoves but strong
Thanks for letting me know your thoughts, appreciated.

I too have the white box stove, not long had that one either. I'm liking both at the minute, but need to do more testing. :)

Proventurer
19-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Ashley,
I'm with blackwood, but because of it's weight, leave it at home and use the whitebox stove more, you will be pleasantly supprised what you can achieve with that.

Skate
19-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Have used mine once so far during an overnighter on a windy beach. Very pleased. It is a little heavy but no fuel is carried and it packs away to nothing. It performed well once under way. Cooked my dinner on it and my fresh caught bass for breakfast. But I guess the best thing is it is more fun than a gas stove.

Shewie
19-11-2010, 10:37 PM
A great bit of kit it has to be said. I like my hobbo stoves but the Honey lets you pack it down flat which is so much better.

I pair mine up with the Tatonka burner for a really versatile cook system, it's nice to be able to still use it when there's no fire wood available or lighting a fire is a no no.

I find mine get's through wood fairly quickly once it's established, but tending a fire is half the fun isn't it :)

Spider
20-11-2010, 05:09 AM
It was going to be on my xmas list, but it definitely is now ;0)

Spider....

TinkyPete
21-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Its already on my Christmas wish list, I have seen it used by quite a few people I know, they seem to like it. I have seen it used with just the 4 pannels and a trangia stove and the normal set up, a really versatile bit of kit, also the hive set up with it makes it into a lot larger cooker.

Shewie
21-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Here's a pic of mine which I took on a day hike (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56294&highlight=arncliffe) earlier this year

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/Shewie01/DSC01718.jpg

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2010, 01:41 PM
@Skate - Love your avatar pic! :)

@Shewie - Thanks; you've reminded me to checkout Tatonka's burner.

@Everyone - I'm hoping to do a review on both The Honey Stove & The White Box soon within the next month, so I'm actively using both :) ... I just need an assistant to help me drink all the brews I'm making! :p It's great to hear all of your experiences with it so far.

Yesterday I had the honey-stove fire'd up and was toying with turning the door into the wind and out of it, such a difference.

JEEP
21-11-2010, 06:41 PM
The Tatonka burner is great; it is faster and more efficient than the Trangia, it has a much bigger fuel capacity - and stainless steel is a lot more rugged than brass.

Regards.

Jakob

Skate
22-11-2010, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=Ashley Cawley;858]@Skate - Love your avatar pic! :)

Cheers Ashley, it freaked my sister out a bit, something about Donnie Darko :)

Scott
28-11-2010, 10:22 AM
It's on my christmas list

Kieran
10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Seen this before?
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product496.asp?PageID=113

chris grace
10-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I've had a few honeys over the years and keep getting shot of them.I buy a new one thinking the last one wasn't so bad and when it arrives ,after a few uses I remember what a faff it is.Nothing wrong with it really ,it's just me.I can get on with them for more than a few weeks.

gemgenie
28-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Had my honey stove for 2 years now and I love it - one of the best bits of kit I have bought because its just so versitile.

I use it for festival camping when I try to sneek some wood in (prefer that to smelly hexi but security not too keen on "open fires" so I have to be careful), and its useful for a quick brew on bike rides and walks - small brew kit and nab some water from the platypus/camelback and your away.

Also used it for regular camping when ive been able to rustle up a 2 course meal faster than a friend using a gas camp kitchen. They were amazed at it and couldnt wait to see it in action for the rest of the weekend.

Ashley Cawley
28-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Here is my thoughts on the Honey-Stove...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDOE1haJfb8

Also I just used it yesterday for the first time with a tatonka alcohol burner, was impressed how it fit together beautifully with just four of the side-pieces as it was made for it! Certainly versatile.