PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft Knife suggestions please

happybonzo
27-01-2011, 06:58 AM
I want a new knife. I have a Mora with the plastic handle and also a Cold Steel Master Hunter. They are both good knives and I cannot really fault them.
But...
I once saw an Alan Woods knife. It was similar to the one that Mr Mears uses and from that moment I was lost.
Does anyone have a suggestion for something similar in carbon steel that does not cost absurd amounts of money?
I have been looking at one of these Arthur Wright knives and wondered if anyone has used one? If so, what are your experiences of them?

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=6025&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

CanadianMike
27-01-2011, 11:49 AM
GreenPete's video will show you how to make your own on the cheap......

leon-1
27-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Look at the likes of Karesuando, Kellam and Lauri for Stick tang, for full tang possibly have a look at Enzo knives as they do them in a multitude of sins.

Another possibility is to have a chat with some of the guys over on British Blades. You can buy knives of high quality by small makers that cost little.

Thumbcrusher
27-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I have that very same Arthur Wright knife and for the money it's great.

Unlike a lot of knives it "feels" more like a tool in that it is quite heavy but obviously robust and it keeps a really keen edge.

You cant go wrong with the knife really but the scabbard is a little disappointing. Fairly decent leather but build quality is poor. I took out all the machine stitching and replaced it with hand stitched thread.

I also used meths to remove the polish and then wet formed the scabbard around the knife to make it more secure. Before i did that it was quite a loose fit.

All in all though i'm pleased with it - especially at about a third of the price of Mr mears' one, (which happens to look very similar!). Yeh there were a couple of little issues about the scabbard but i'd rather they cut corners on that if it means the knife is higher quality. Big thumbs up from me:happy-clapping:

therealmow
27-01-2011, 04:43 PM
heard some good things about this knife, and you cant beat the price
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Condor-Knives/Condor-Bushlore-Knife/p-92-130-4941/

happybonzo
28-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the speedy replies and all the useful suggestions

Martin
28-01-2011, 07:31 AM
heard some good things about this knife, and you cant beat the price
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Condor-Knives/Condor-Bushlore-Knife/p-92-130-4941/

I've got one of these knives. I'm still undecided on it as the edge is not at all good on delivery and has a massive convex profile to it. It is going to take a lot of work to get it into shape.

Martin

Ken
28-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the speedy replies and all the useful suggestions

Nice to see another fellow Ipswich resident here.

Ken

Ben Casey
28-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Nice to see another fellow Ipswich resident here.

Ken

The same from me to the numbers start to grow I think :)