PDA

View Full Version : Achnacarry survival training areas..

Ferrell freddy
30-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi All!

Just a quick ask as to whether anyone has been around the Achnacarry estate up in Scotland? I've been tasked to run some survival training up that neck and without going up and doing a recce I'm not sure what flora/fauna/resources may be available.

If I was just going up for my own benefit I'd want to find out when I got there but as I'm providing training I need to be bulletproof!

Cheers, Steve.

David_JAFO
01-10-2013, 07:00 AM
hello Steve,
Without sounding blasé on the subject. If you have been tasked, was it by the Estate owners? If so they should give you what details your looking for from the Estate management team. If your running some Survival training course, then I would suggest whilst setting up the course, have the participants do a Recce as part of the course. Set up Food, Water. Shelter, Fire etc.. as part of the 'wild food resources' a Recce of your surrounding area, bring back samples of resources for display part of your tutorial. You don't have to be 'bulletproof' BTW. Just my 2p worth as a Survival Instructor 30 years +. http://www.achnacarrycountry.co.uk/ might be worth contacting take into consideration the Scottish Weather too.. good luck with your endeavours.
Regards
David

Ferrell freddy
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Cheers, it was the sergeant major that tasked me, he's on a recce at the moment so hopefully he highlights a good spot! Just didn't want to turn up and not have enough knowledge on what there is in that area.

David_JAFO
01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
hello,
I kind of understood that there was some element of Military involvement, having allegedly been invited onto the estate, don't let that intimidate you, be yourself, use your experience level & enjoy the shared experience. Local knowledge is best & as said make it part of the exercise 'group forage' then examine the fruits of your harvest where it was found etc.. Make a photographic & notes journal of the area for next time. :wink:
Regards
David
T^

Cheers, it was the sergeant major that tasked me, he's on a recce at the moment so hopefully he highlights a good spot! Just didn't want to turn up and not have enough knowledge on what there is in that area.

Ferrell freddy
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Will do! T^

ammo
03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

shepherd
04-10-2013, 01:48 PM
good luck, hope it goes well for you.

+1 t^

Ferrell freddy
08-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Just found I have half a day to teach... Brill. At least I won't have to worry about filling the time!