PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this will work, Denim Millbank Bag?

campinggirl72
03-10-2013, 08:10 PM
an old pair of Jeans and a sewing machine, to make the bag, cut off a leg from the Jeans and turn it inside out, mark out a diagonal and cut along it, then sew up the diagonal, do four lines of stitching for strength and also used Polyester thread so it doesn't rot, then turn the leg the right way out and hey presto a Millbank Bag
would this really work?

(C) Mark Emery 2010-2013

Silverback
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Mmmmm not sure but artists canvas does

beermaker
03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Thought about making a bag from denim too, but to be honest, my missus bought me a couple of millbank style bags from Bilmo Bushcraft on EBay for £7 each including postage. At those prices, I would hazard to say it's not worth making them, the quality is decent, the shipping is quick and they work well.

campinggirl72
03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I always get caught out, as I don't have ebay anymore nor paypal as, I got robbed bad on there once and won't go back :(

beermaker
03-10-2013, 09:33 PM
sorry to hear that :( in that case I would go and get some artists canvas as Sapper suggested - the weave is tighter than denim and will make a better filter. A hot wash in the washing machine will shrink it before cutting and making the bag. Denim will work but canvas makes a better particulate filter. If using denim, put the material in a hot wash to shrink it first, and consider doubling the material up to improve the filtration.

saxonaxe
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Give the denim a whizz CG, if it's a tight weave denim it will be fine. Before you fill the bag to filter water, you probably know that it's best to let it soak for a minute or two for the fibres to swell, then fill the bag and hang it up. Boil the water just to be on the safe side before cooking/drinking.. :)

( And I thought I was the only one in the world not on ebay...;) )