PDA

View Full Version : Jam wine

woodstock
05-10-2013, 07:33 PM
5 jars of tescos finest mega cheap mixed fruit jar at 29p a jar
pectolitic enzyme
high speed yeast or turbo yeast
1 gallon of water.

Dissolve the jam in boiling water let cool and add to Demi john add pectolitic enzyme and yeast,jobs a goodun

no need for added sugar, but extra stuff like rose petels or elder flowers might be nice. Ready in about two weeks. and strong

Tigger004
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
What a fantastic idea, thanks for sharing that - I'm gonna get a demi-john very shortly

rossbird
05-10-2013, 08:09 PM
What a fantastic idea, thanks for sharing that - I'm gonna get a demi-john very shortly

I'm with you Tigger, nothing like a glass of something red!!!

Big T
05-10-2013, 08:28 PM
A cheap alternative to a demijon is a 5 litre mineral water bottle, just drill a hole in the lid and glue the airlock on!

Rasputin
05-10-2013, 09:00 PM
A cheap alternative to a demijon is a 5 litre mineral water bottle, just drill a hole in the lid and glue the airlock on!

Got plenty of DJ's but great Idea T

Rasputin
05-10-2013, 09:01 PM
what a fantastic idea, thanks for sharing that - i'm gonna get a demi-john very shortly

+ 1 t^

woodstock
05-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Have a go and lets compare results

Rasputin
06-10-2013, 12:39 AM
How much yeast and enzyme ?

Chubbs
06-10-2013, 12:53 AM

Make sure that the jam has no preservatives in its ingredients, other wise it will not ferment. If it has preservatives, bring to the boil with the water added and simmer for about ten minutes to drive them off, making sure that you don't add the yeast, enzyme and nutrient until it has cooled to about 21 degrees C.

No more than a teaspoon of general purpose wine yeast will be needed per gallon. I would add a couple of teaspoons of pectic enzyme and a teaspoon of nutrient for this recipe.

jacko1066
06-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Sounds awesome!!

What is a Demi John please?

jus_young
06-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Big glass jar that the fermentation is done in.

Chubbs
06-10-2013, 10:36 AM
jacko

A Demijohn is is a type of glass carboy which is used to ferment in. They usually hold just over a UK gallon of liquid and are sealed with a bung and airlock, half filled with water which shows the carbon dioxide escaping as bubbles when your brew is fermenting.

10460 10461

jacko1066
06-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Cool, thanks for that guys!!

shepherd
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
is the yeast and enzyme easy to get hold of?

Kernowek Scouser
06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
5 jars of tescos finest mega cheap mixed fruit jar at 29p a jar
pectolitic enzyme
high speed yeast or turbo yeast
1 gallon of water.

Dissolve the jam in boiling water let cool and add to Demi john add pectolitic enzyme and yeast,jobs a goodun

no need for added sugar, but extra stuff like rose petels or elder flowers might be nice. Ready in about two weeks. and strong

If this is the beverage you very kindly let me have a mug (or seven) of, it was rather good and I would definitely recommend folks try some.
T^
Now where did I put those demi-johns?

beermaker
06-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Sounds like an interesting recipe! As the handle suggests I make beer (and lots of it!) but just getting into wine making so will definitely try this!

Shepherd - you can get all that stuff from Wilkinsons as they have a home brew section, or find your local home brew shop. Failing that, my local shop does excellent mail order www.hopandgrape.co.uk (must add the usual disclaimer - no affiliation, not employed or rewarded, etc! just had 15 years of excellent service from them)

I make wine from fruit juice - pour a litre of white grape juice and a litre of the fruit juice of your choice (Orange is surprisingly good) into a Demijohn. Heat up 1.5 litres of water in a pan, dissolve in 1 kg white sugar. Pour into the Demijohn and when cooled, add wine yeast, yeast nutrient, tannin (strong cup of black tea), Citric acid (teaspoon of lemon juice) and pectolase and stick a bubbler in the top. Once fermentation has subsided, usually after four or five days, top up to the neck with cooled boiled water. Leave until fermentation is complete, add a crushed campden tablet, spoon of potassium sorbate and wine finings. When the wine is clear, bottle up and enjoy!

Works with pretty much any juice - so far I've tried apple and elderflower, red cherry, orange, apple, pomegranate, and forest fruits.

Rasputin
06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Sounds awesome!!

What is a Demi John please?

Its a 1 gallon glass bottle / jug like a scumpy jug and you put a bung in it with an airlockatached to ferment the contents http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-demijohn-WITH-FREE-BUNG-AIRLOCK-for-home-brew-beer-wine-making-/281171992957?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item417728217d that should help, Ken

Rasputin
06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Its a 1 gallon glass bottle / jug like a scumpy jug and you put a bung in it with an airlockatached to ferment the contents http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-demijohn-WITH-FREE-BUNG-AIRLOCK-for-home-brew-beer-wine-making-/281171992957?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item417728217d that should help, Ken I should read the rest of the post 1st, I see its been answered allready, oh well

Rasputin
06-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Made allsorts over the years and some of the ones that dont sound promising have turned out brill, for instance pea pod, carrot and dandelion are 3 cracking wines not to mention elderberry or elderflower champagne. Hic. How you doing fella, not damaged desen lately,lol T^
Works with pretty much any juice - so far I've tried apple and elderflower, red cherry, orange, apple, pomegranate, and forest fruits.

Chubbs
06-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I make wine from fruit juice - pour a litre of white grape juice and a litre of the fruit juice of your choice (Orange is surprisingly good) into a Demijohn. Heat up 1.5 litres of water in a pan, dissolve in 1 kg white sugar. Pour into the Demijohn and when cooled, add wine yeast, yeast nutrient, tannin (strong cup of black tea), Citric acid (teaspoon of lemon juice) and pectolase and stick a bubbler in the top. Once fermentation has subsided, usually after four or five days, top up to the neck with cooled boiled water. Leave until fermentation is complete, add a crushed campden tablet, spoon of potassium sorbate and wine finings. When the wine is clear, bottle up and enjoy!

The recipe above makes a cracking wine. Personally, I don't use any more than 800g of sugar per gallon but it will still leave me with an average ABV of 12%. New brewers that follow this recipe sometimes question the amount of juice being used, and add more than listed. If you stick to what recipe Beermaker has provided, you will be pleasantly surprised with the final product once chilled before drinking.

beermaker
06-10-2013, 03:13 PM
The recipe above makes a cracking wine. Personally, I don't use any more than 800g of sugar per gallon but it will still leave me with an average ABV of 12%. New brewers that follow this recipe sometimes question the amount of juice being used, and add more than listed. If you stick to what recipe Beermaker has provided, you will be pleasantly surprised with the final product once chilled before drinking.

I can't take credit for this recipe - I learned it from the homebrew forum (www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk) and it does make a cracking drop of wine! To be honest, I put a kilo in because it comes in kilo bags and it saves me measuring it out! Also makes the wine a bit stronger so drink responsibly folks!!

Heyup Rasputin :) I'm good cheers - no damage today! Oddly enough I was cutting more steel with the grinder today but this time I wore my goggles!

woodstock
06-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Its a level tea spoon of each, and the jam does'nt have any preservatives in it

woodstock
06-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Make sure that the jam has no preservatives in its ingredients, other wise it will not ferment. If it has preservatives, bring to the boil with the water added and simmer for about ten minutes to drive them off, making sure that you don't add the yeast, enzyme and nutrient until it has cooled to about 21 degrees C.

No more than a teaspoon of general purpose wine yeast will be needed per gallon. I would add a couple of teaspoons of pectic enzyme and a teaspoon of nutrient for this recipe.

is the yeast and enzyme easy to get hold of?

most supermarkets sell it and if you use turbo yeast it speeds the process up no end.

woodstock
06-10-2013, 03:59 PM

If this is the beverage you very kindly let me have a mug (or seven) of, it was rather good and I would definitely recommend folks try some.
T^
Now where did I put those demi-johns?

Thats the one Colin I've never had a hang over since we started making it im permanently off my trolly only kidding.

Chubbs
06-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I can't take credit for this recipe - I learned it from the homebrew forum (www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk)

A great forum, possibly the UK's best. I have been a member for a few years, but haven't been active for a while.

Chubbs
06-10-2013, 04:02 PM
most supermarkets sell it and if you use turbo yeast it speeds the process up no end.

You have to be very careful with the Turbo Yeasts when making Wines and Beers. They can give you 'Off Flavours' and that burning sensation to your brew when drinking it.

Rasputin
06-10-2013, 04:03 PM
this time I wore my goggles! WOW ! a learning curve, lol thought I might of seen ya @ Ruthin, still maybe the next one, ATB, Ken BTW do you work full time ?

woodstock
06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
You have to be very careful with the Turbo Yeasts when making Wines and Beers. They can give you 'Off Flavours' and that burning sensation to your brew when drinking it.

I'll bare that in mind thanks Chubbs and I will have a look at the wine Brewers site cheers for the link

jacko1066
06-10-2013, 04:25 PM
It all sounds very nice indeed chaps!!

beermaker
06-10-2013, 04:32 PM
A great forum, possibly the UK's best. I have been a member for a few years, but haven't been active for a while.

Good to find another member! Never used the turbo yeasts, always got good results using normal wine yeast.

I do learn sometimes Ken, but it usually takes a couple of goes! What is Ruthin?

Ferrell freddy
06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Slightly off topic apologies in advance.

I've had a gallon of elderberry wine fermenting for about a week, just racked off from one Demi John to another, I may have inadvertently shook it slightly meaning the wine is cloudy in the new Demi John.

Having siphoned the wine the old fashioned way however, I am very aware that the wine tastes SUPERB up to now. Anyway, should I leave the wine as directed for 2 more weeks prior to bottling or just wait till it settles?

This is my 1st go at wine making so forgive my lack of knowledge! And again sorry for the thread hijack.

Rasputin
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
What is Ruthin? Ruthin is a place in north Wales. We had the last Northern soul meet there, and a good time was had by all

Chubbs
06-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Let it sit with the airlock on until it stops bubbling.

If it bubbles less than one bubble a minute, you know that the yeasts have fermented most of, if not all the sugars. Do you have a hydrometer and trial jar mate. Its one of the best pieces of equipment for brewing and the readings give you an indication of sugar contents.

Ferrell freddy
06-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Righto, I think the bubbles have slowed about less than a minute, I shall have to grab a hydrometer! As I say it tastes amazing now so if be happy to bottle it but trying to stay patient!!

Chubbs
08-10-2013, 09:35 AM
If you are certain that it has finished fermenting, rack it off the sediment into a clean, sterilised demijohn and add a teaspoon of potassium sorbate and a crushed campden tablet. Make sure that you use both, otherwise it will not kill the remaining yeasties in the brew.

Leave for a few weeks and you will slowly see it start to clear. If you want it to hurry the clearing process, buy one of the many available clearing agents and add to brew. Bottle when clear.

If you want a hydrometer and trial jar, send me a pm with your details as I have a few of them.

Don't bottle without killing the yeasts off otherwise you might have bottle bombs.