PDA

View Full Version : wild camping

matty198111
06-10-2013, 07:41 PM
just wandered what the rules on wild camping are in the uk

i was wandering is it ok to just walk in the forest hang a tarp over a hammock and spend the night there.

mat

ADz
06-10-2013, 08:05 PM
just wandered what the rules on wild camping are in the uk

i was wandering is it ok to just walk in the forest hang a tarp over a hammock and spend the night there.

mat

Wild camping is illegal in England unless you have land owners permission. With exception to some parts of Dartmoor. However you can pitch up in the hills above agricultural land as its tolerated. Just make sure you arrive late and leave early and leave no trace.

Wild camping is legal in Scotland though.

By the way, its easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission ;)

matty198111
06-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Wild camping is illegal in England unless you have land owners permission. With exception to some parts of Dartmoor. However you can pitch up in the hills above agricultural land as its tolerated. Just make sure you arrive late and leave early and leave no trace.

Wild camping is legal in Scotland though.

By the way, its easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission ;)

shame its illegal i would love to spend the night under the stars in the forest

ian c
06-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I think you should try stealth camping set up late leave early an leave no trace, unless you can get permission and then you can put up early, leave late and still leave no trace.

matty198111
06-10-2013, 08:18 PM
the leaving no trace is no trouble, i beleive in leaving someones home or somethings home as i found it.

will ook into stealth camping thanks

mat

freedom
06-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Leave no trace of your camp, what you bring in with take it away and if your spotted and told to move on just go.

ADz
06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
shame its illegal i would love to spend the night under the stars in the forest

As long as you have respect for land that's all that matters imo.

campinggirl72
06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Homeless people do it all the time with no problems. You have to have a life so it would not bother me if I could not find a person to ask. Woodlands etc are so easy to set up for a few days un-noticed. Get out there and enjoy it :)

Islandlady
06-10-2013, 09:15 PM
I found someone camping at the bottom of my garden a few years ago!! My garden is wild woodland, and by the river there is does look like a wild lovely campfire spot. He would have had to wade across river to camp there though! When I told him it was private he told me he'd been there three nights! He was Scottish so that might be why he thought it was ok.

John_McC
07-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Hi Matt the upper reaches of the hamble have areas where wild camping is tolerated (or at I've never had any issues). Best bet is by boat/canoe or walk down through one of the foot paths to the rivers edge. But as others have said leave no trace so no complaints we be made.

John

matty198111
07-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Hi john
Nice to hear from a fellow southamptoner.

Do you mean the areas behind moodies boat yard ?

Or do you mean further up nearer curbridge?

Mat

munchh
11-12-2013, 03:47 PM
So does anyone know of any tolerating land owners in sussex?

ian c
11-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Tolerating land owners in Sussex? I don't think that there are many that would let you camp, but there is no harm in asking and it would be better if you could ask them in person which is how I got shooting permission, hope this helps.

KieranBroadfield
26-02-2014, 11:54 PM
The woods near my old house, in Cornwall...
Wasn't owned by anyone.. The council were responsible for upkeep, you weren't meant to camp there...

But we went off the track, kept our noise down, left no trace... Nobody knew we were there. We didn't harm anyone, and had fun in doing it :)