PDA

View Full Version : Wind up lantern

Paul Webster
30-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Not really much of a review but figured this was a good a place as any.
I have been looking at camping lanterns for a while and I had decided on getting one of the UCO range of candle lanterns when I saw a wind up lantern in Millets for £5.

At that price I thought, "it's going to fall apart after 5 minutes and be junk" but it's actually pretty good. It's has a pretty solid plastic housing, stands 7" tall and weighs 200g.

I wound it for 3 minutes and left it switched on, it lasted for just over 2.5 hours.

This is with the handle folded out
http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/sddarktide/859651db.jpg

Spec says it's 25 lumens, seems bright enough to hang in a tent or under a tarp and no need for batteries.
6http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/sddarktide/6e36d090.jpg

robin
31-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I have one of those Paul, I picked it up from Millets too and best of all mine was free. In the window they were advertising sleeping bags for £19.99 but inside the same ones were £30. Apparently they were updating the stock inside and hadn't removed the offer from the window so I made a fuss got my sleeping bag at the knock down price and they threw in the lantern free presumably to quieten me down and get me out of the shop asap.
:happy-clapping:

I have to say I was initially impressed but it quickly seems to hold less and less charge. Within a couple of weeks of use it became so dim so quickly that I was unable to read comfortably within five minutes of a ten minute wind. It is a shame as it is a well built lightweight lamp and not requiring batteries is a godsend whilst out and about.

I would be interested to hear how your lamp last over time so please keep us updated.

Does anyone else out there have a recommendation for a good wind-up lightweight lantern that has served them well over time?

Fletching
31-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I've had a few over the years but always had the same problem as Robin.

Nowadays, it's a 9 hour Candle Lantern all the way....

JEEP
31-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Robin: I have worked in outdoor strores for a few years now, I have yet to see a good wind up lantern. I have even had a few myself, either the mechanics broke down or the battery started loosing capacity quite fast - often both.

Fletching: UCO candle lanterns? I have just ordered a couple of those, they look neat.

Fletching
31-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Fletching: UCO candle lanterns? I have just ordered a couple of those, they look neat.

Yep, UCO. I've sewn a leather sheath around mine so I can handle it when hot. Plus it looks neat. And it's shiny. :)

Plus, I had to have the neoprene case for it too. Had to have it.

Steve

JEEP
31-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Good to hear. I ordered two polished brass lanterns (original version), two neoprene cocoons, a side reflector and a fold flat top reflector.

Fletching
31-01-2011, 05:08 PM
You can bend a paper clip to attach a bit of mozzie coil to the top.

Kiltie
31-01-2011, 05:11 PM
On the subject of light Lidl are getting these in next week

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_17791.htm

JEEP
31-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Good tip. Unfortunally Maria is allergic to the stuff.

Tony1948
31-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Cor, I wish I wasant a poor truck driver,Id have lots of new shiney stuff.......AR never mind.

swkieran
31-01-2011, 05:47 PM
ive got one simular and its brill,especially if youre like me and have to have a light on to get to sleep lol,no expensive flat duracells or ever readys the next day :)

swkieran
31-01-2011, 05:52 PM
tony i know were youre comming from money wise, i avent had any real dosh to play with for months all bills bills because of some ffin online fraud but i hope to get my money back:),walking round woods army surplus store in crediton today and was wounded couldve blown a few hundred easy,but was super skint lol,ahhh well such as life

Paul Webster
31-01-2011, 06:15 PM
The staff in my local millets are all women in their late forties and I must say, they all genuinely know their stuff. One of the ladies in their tested a few first before handing me one, claiming it was the best!! Apparently she could tell from the resistance in the winding mechanism. I've had this one a few weeks but maybe only had it turned on about 4 hours. After a bit more of a test I'll let you know.

Realbark
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I have 3 of these for widup lanterns powercuts. 12 LEDs. Only one had some use last winter, the other two have only been tested. While ok for home i wouldnt fancy prolonged field use as they are hard plastic type. About 9.00 each delivered. I also have a Degen wind up/solar/battery radio which is used regularly and is holding up well. It also has a phone charger,lamp and alarm built in.

Thumbcrusher
02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
My wife stays angry with me for days on only a couple of minutes wind up!:o

i do have one of these wind up lanterns which i got from tesco in the sales for £4. It seems to give off a decent amount of light for its size but build wise i don't think it'll last too long. Can't grumble for £4 though;)

Allthegear-noidea
20-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I have to say I was initially impressed but it quickly seems to hold less and less charge. Within a couple of weeks of use it became so dim so quickly that I was unable to read comfortably within five minutes of a ten minute wind. It is a shame as it is a well built lightweight lamp and not requiring batteries is a godsend whilst out and about.

I would be interested to hear how your lamp last over time so please keep us updated.

Does anyone else out there have a recommendation for a good wind-up lightweight lantern that has served them well over time?

My sentiments exactly:(

Fletching
20-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Yep, UCO. I've sewn a leather sheath around mine so I can handle it when hot. Plus it looks neat. And it's shiny. :)

Plus, I had to have the neoprene case for it too. Had to have it.

Steve

Started a new thread for this item at http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?839-Uco-Candle-Lantern-Kit-Mod&p=8357#post8357

Mods, can we have a 'Kit Mods' sub forum in Crafts, Making & DIY Projects, in addition to Woodwork and Leatherwork? Cheers. Steve

Steve

Ashley Cawley
27-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Mods, can we have a 'Kit Mods' sub forum in Crafts, Making & DIY Projects, in addition to Woodwork and Leatherwork? Cheers. Steve
Consider it done.

Fletching
27-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Consider it done.

Gorblissyermarsahn!

(sarf london mate)

Steve