PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil

klause
30-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I feel that i must post a thread on the jetboil system. :happy-clapping:

I bought it for Xmas and had used it in the back yard (only once to get the newness off it) and didn't realy pay much attention to the boil time.

When i bought it i was scepticle of the boiling times suggested by the company but having taken it out into the woods on Saturday (a bitterly cold day) i am now truely a massive fan.

I put a cup full of water in, just enough for one brew, and within less than one min it was at full boil.
I am a novice at the bushcraft game but surely this is outstanding? It has gone straight in at no#1 on my kit list fav...

Jet boil state a 2min boil time for 1/2 liter of water (i can see this being true) and at a wait of only 15 oz and the fact that it all fits in the cup, this surely is a must have piece of kit.

Has anyone else got one? If not 'go get one'!

Fletching
31-01-2011, 01:52 AM
...and how much fuel did it use?

JEEP
31-01-2011, 07:15 AM
I have handled and tested both the JetBoil and the Primus ETA Solo, more or less the same thing, aside from the Primus coming with detatchable legs for holding larger pots.

So far I am impressed about their boil time - and throughly unimpressed with anything else about them:

1. These are, with the standard mug/pot, pretty useless for anything else than boiling water. It is by all means possible to cook up a stew or something like that, but it requires constant stirring. Simmering is not possible with these burners, they are either turned off or on full throttle

2. Both burners use al lot of fuel, especially in cold weather - even when using butane/isubutane/propane "winter mix" gas

3. Even with the extra feet supplied with the Primus, neither of the burners are very stable, on the contrary; they are quite prone to tipping over

4. They are "one fuel" stoves. That may not matter to some, but I really do not like being dependent on one fueltype. A woodstove and a meths burner will give you much more versatility

5. Both stoves requires a high level of preassure in the gas cartridge to burn properly, meaning that you will never be able to empty your cartridges completely. That is a waste of both money and recourses

6. I really really do not like gas cartridge powered stoves. Somehow the cartridge always manages to run dry just when you have forgotten to bring a spare

7. Though gas may be very clean burning, the use and manufacture of disposable cartridges makes it one of the least environmental friendly cooking systems out there

Martin
31-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I think the Jetboil system is brilliant. A high pressure burner with windshield built in is going to give a really quick boil time and, as someone who doesn't care how 'bushcrafty' something is I'm a sucker for neat kit.

I don't own one however as I think the limitations of the system are just too great to warrant the price. In my opinion, the Jetboil is limited because it can only really boil water. Great for a quick brew or to heat up your rat pack meal but after that its usefulness is somewhat limited.

I use an MSR Pocket Rocket stove, for when I can't be bothered to spark up the Bushbuddy, and this packs away just as small as the Jetboil and gives me the flexibility to cook whatever I like on top. As an added bonus, my Lifeventure Ti mug sits perfectly on top so when I just want a quick brew I can boil that up in less than a minute.

Like I said, I think the Jetboil is a great bit of kit and in the right scenario, for instance lightweight backpacking, it's pretty much perfect just not very versatile in my opinion.

Martin

klause
31-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Thank you for replying Fletch, Jeep.
Fletch - the site where i bought it from ( http://www.ronniesunshines.com/jetboil-camping-stove-camo-p-1386.html ) claims that it will boil 12 litres with one 100g canister, i can't varify this as ive only used it three times i'll just have to wait and see.

Jeep - You seem extremely knowledgable on this subject so i will only comment on how i have found the kit.

1) I agree it is pretty one dimensional piece of kit, but it is extremely good at that one dimension - boiling water.
I do not wish to make a stew in it as i use it soley to make myself a brew when i stop for a rest.
The very fact that i do not have to get several items out of my pack (especially when the weather is bad) apeals to me greatly, i just open my side pouch pull it out put some water in it, then 'hey presto' 2 mins later a brew ! No waiting for a cooker to prime, no wandering roung finding twigs, no messing around lighting fires just a quick click of the ignition and your away.

2) On fuel consumption, i'll have to take your word on that as i am still on my first canister, but the suggested consuption is 12 litres with one 100g tin...i don't know.

3) I agree that the 'jetboil' has a small base and is pretty tall, thus making it unstable, but you don't have to be genius to sort this tiny problem, infact I have been told it is safe to hold via the handle whilst it boils which isn't long (I haven't tried this method as i've never needed to).

4) Again i agree the 'jetboil' is a specific one job piece of kit (the manufactures might disagree but i know what you mean) and uses only one type of fuel, but again i use it soley to make brews nothing else and i carry other equipment for cooking meals. However, the jet boil is excellent if you are eating dehydrated food and don't have oodles of time to prepare a snack or dinner. I always cook on the fire whilst at camp to save on my gas and I always have an alternate source of heating water/food i.e. a hexi stove or homemade cardboard and wax stove.

5) Again i'll have to bow to your supperior knowledge on the subject i was not aware of this fact. I always carry a spare in the case of my gas runnning out.

6) On the subject of being environmentally friendly, i would summise that an extremely high proportion of this group are all concerned with lessening their impact on the environment, including myself. I would be interested in learning how differing models of stoves made by differing manufactures stack up against each other environmentally. I am in the process of buying the titanium folding wood stove for when a big fire is not an option.

My normal source of heat is the good old camp fire but as i say for a quick brew/rehydrated meal whilst on the go i will take some convincing to retire my jetboil.
Thanks for replying, debate is healthy....

JEEP
31-01-2011, 04:39 PM
6) On the subject of being environmentally friendly, i would summise that an extremely high proportion of this group are all concerned with lessening their impact on the environment, including myself. I would be interested in learning how differing models of stoves made by differing manufactures stack up against each other environmentally. I am in the process of buying the titanium folding wood stove for when a big fire is not an option.

I do not think such a test exists. I am quite sure, though, that meths and wood are the cleanest fuels available - both when it comes to the CO2 released from the manufacturing process and from burning it.

Kerosene, unleaded gasoline/white gas and butane/propane have a higher CO2 impact than wood and meths.
It would actually be interesting to know which one is the "worst".
My bet would be either kerosene or butane/propane. Kerosene because of both the manufactiring process and the materials released from burning it, butane/propane solely based on the manufacturing process.
Modern lead-free gasoline (emits more or less only CO2) is actually suprisingly clean compared to buring kerosene (emits, among other nasty things, CO2, sulfides and nitrates).

klause
31-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Fair point well made Martin......i'm always looking to improve and i'll take a look at MSR pocket rocket for the future.
I've just ordered myself a titanium Mytipot & Mytimug combo £55 from Alpkit, I hope this is a reasonable price !

I'm still in the process of collecting my gear & i'm nearly there, its just that i was talking kit with someone on here who recommended lightweight kit (guess who?) and now i find myself collecting two sets ! "the expense"....

kINGPIN
17-04-2011, 08:14 AM
My mate is a big fan of the jetboil system. We had a brew at the top of the Berwyn range the other day and it was boiled in two minutes. Great for brews and boil in the bag stuff but I wouldnt use it for much else.

chris grace
17-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I use a meths burner for all my cooking and boiling.It's slower than every other fuel but I've never been in a position where I need a brew that quickly.I like the idea of the jetboil but find it is a bit too big for me.I also had a pocket rocket and a primus micron which are both excellent but I don't like gas .I had a whisperlite internationale which was also a great bit of kit but again too big and too much faff.
If I'm out for a day trip I take a pack of sandwiches and my MSR mug along with my evernew meths burner.The burner fits in the cup along with some 3 in 1 coffees and a firesteel.The mug sits directly on the burner and boils in quick enough time that I don't suffer from coffee depravation.A nice small and light weight set up that takes up no more room than the cup itself,I take a 50ml bottle of meths which also fits in the cup.My day sack is n arktis side pocket and I find I can get in all I need and still have lots of room left,this includes a 2L camelback unbottle.

kINGPIN
17-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I feel the same way too. I also like the fact that meths is quiet.

JEEP
17-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I have just ordered a Jetboil SOL Advanced Cooking System; http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-cooking-system.html

Not bacause I have changed my mind about Jetboil - or gas cartridge stoves for that matter. But, because we, due to popular demand, has started selling Jetboil at the store where I work. I am quite curious to see whether I will actually get to use it much.

kINGPIN
17-04-2011, 09:56 PM
If you are walking and just want a quick and very easy brew, then these are perfect.

chrisj
17-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I like my mini trangia for taking out for the day. It's simple with nothing to go wrong. Weight is no more than a jetboil and gas canister but it does take longer. I made a windshield out of a disposable foil baking tray which helps with boil times.

TinkyPete
17-04-2011, 11:23 PM
The Jetboil is my choice for work mainly cause I only boil water and boil in the bag meals. In my bushcraft I use anything from Meths to large wood fire depending on time and mood :) I prefer something with a proper flame so I can relax in front of the bushcraft tv.

Adam Savage
18-04-2011, 08:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JETBOIL-FLASH-Cooking-System-Stove-Camping-SAPPHIRE-/130506701639?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSu pplies_ET&hash=item1e62ce3b47

The new one has a tripod base for extra stability..it says :)

Adam Savage
18-04-2011, 08:41 AM
And they make a pot stand to accommodate larger...erm...pots too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Jetboil-pot-support-stabiliser-camp-hike-fishing-/350364692813?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSu pplies_ET&hash=item51935cf14d

It does mean it's even more expensive though

paul standley
18-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Moving away from the "Jetboil" central thread a little more here... but, Trangia and Tatonka meths burners with a small wick placed in the middle of the fuel well will improve boil times significantly (and burn meths faster of course) so good old meths burners do have some versitility.

That said, I like the look of the Jetboil, it's a bit of design icon I think, which my Tatonka + wick + cooking foil windshield + peanut feeder mesh pot stand isn't ...but hey ho...!

Adam Savage
18-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Moving away from the "Jetboil" central thread a little more here... but, Trangia and Tatonka meths burners with a small wick placed in the middle of the fuel well will improve boil times significantly (and burn meths faster of course) so good old meths burners do have some versitility.

That said, I like the look of the Jetboil, it's a bit of design icon I think, which my Tatonka + wick + cooking foil windshield + peanut feeder mesh pot stand isn't ...but hey ho...!

I don't think there is a particular stove that everyone likes, if there were, they would only sell the one type. I wouldn't buy the jetboil, just because of the price, if it was £20 I might have had a punt. Like you say though, it's a design icon and people love gadgets. I'm pretty lazy really. I'll take either my warrior field stove or my inferno if I'm out and about. If I'm at a camp I'll use my twig burner, or an open fire if one is allowed. And the pop can stove for stealthing, due to the tiny size (with enough meths for a couple of brews). Wouldn't use a meths stove for a trip that lasted more than a day, as the amount of fuel needed starts to get heavy.

So back to the jetboil...lol...if it was cheaper I might buy and use one for a roving weekender.

TinkyPete
18-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I bought mine when it first came out and it cost me the grand sum of £40 not expensive amount it costs now:) I was a lucky one, I have only had to replace the igniter once and I do have the pot stand and the tripod legs as well.

Adam Savage
18-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I bought mine when it first came out and it cost me the grand sum of £40 not expensive amount it costs now:) I was a lucky one, I have only had to replace the igniter once and I do have the pot stand and the tripod legs as well.

How long do you find the canister lasts?

Roadkillphil
18-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I bought my wife a jetboil for her birthday. She is a proper coffee monster, and enjoys simplicity. For her the jetboil is perfect. Its light, its easy to use, its quick and she loves it. For her the only thing missing was coffee and a spoon.

As for me, I've used various gas burners and a trangia in my youth, then I got myself an MSR Dragonfly multifuel stove. I've used the dragonfly exclusively for the past 12 years of camping and It is the nackers! Its light, quick, maybe a little fiddly at first, but its fuel diversity and efficiency outweighs this and with the field service kit I've repaired all ills over the years myself ( O rings and jets).....
However....
These past few months the dragonfly has been put to bed and I'm really enjoying cooking and brewing on my pop can stove or on a fire/hobo. Mainly because I made them myself, popcan, hobo and of course we all make our own fire.

So to get back on topic, a jetboil is not my thing at the mo, but it works for some folks and what they need from a stove.

ATB

Phil

JEEP
03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
I got my long awaited Jetboil Sol Advanced Cooking System (the aluminium version) today. I had been looking forward to getting it - as my cheap Jetboil Zip - which I bought a few months ago to keep me happy untill the Sol arrived - had actually proved itself very useful and quickly earned itself a place in my lightweight short-hike gear.

The Zip is cheap, for a Jetboil, (D.Kr. 599), weighs 345 g and holds 0,8 liters. The design is as simple as possible with a small (slighly annoying) adjustment knob for the burner and no auto ignition. The Zip is kept in discreet black colours. It is evident that this model is made with military personnel in mind - as a replacement for the PCS.

The Sol Alu is more expensive (D.Kr. 999), weighs 300 g and also holds 0,8 L. The design is more advanced, with a larger foldable adjustment knob, auto ignition and an advanced burner which should be better in strong winds and at temperatures below zero. The neoprene cover for the pot is fitted with a heat indicator whic turns yellow at around 90 degrees C. The Sol is kept in a very nice gray/orange colour scheme.

Both burners come with a lid with a drink-through spout and a strainer, a cover for the flux ring which doubles as a measuring cup, both pots have scales in OZ and ML on the inside, both burners come with an adaptor with legs for using normal pots and pans on the burner and both burners come with a set og legs for the gas canister to make the system more stable on uneven surfaces.

Well, there is none of the information above, that cannot be found on the Jetboil website. Let me tell you about some of the things the website does not tell you about:

1. The materials and general construction of the Sol's burner seems quite fragile when compared to the Zip's burner. Only further testing will tell whether there is an actual diffrence. But, for sturdyness, my bets are on the "old" Zip burner (which is also featured on the Flash and PCS). The old burner may not be as effective in bad/cold weather as the new one, but so far it is yet to fail me. On top of this the Sol's burner gives of a very unsatisfying rattle when you shake it - I am not a fan of ratteling gear, it usally means that something is broken or is keen to break.

2. The controls on the Sol's burner are way better than those on the Zip, no doubt about it. The auto ignition on the Sol has so far worked every single time and the adjustment knob is a lot more comfortable to use. Having said that; you can get the exact same controls on the Flash for D.Kr. 799.

3. The neoprene cover that comes with the Zip is well made, thick, fitted with a sturdy handle, made from nylon webbing, which works great as a handle. The cover does a great job as an insulator; it is possible to grab the pot or the nylon handle, even when the water inside is boiling. The neoprene cover that comes with the Sol is not nearly as well made; it is cut and stitched together in a very uneven manner, it is way too thin (almost half of the thickness of the Zip's cover) to provide the necessary insulation (being used to the Zip I burnt my fingers quite bad the first time I used the Sol). The worst part though is the handle, which is made from a very thin rubber-like material, which gets extremely hot(!) for a long time after the water has boiled, making it impossible to grip - on top of that the handle is very thin and doesn't feel like it will hold up to much (ab)use. The heat indicator is cool though, but you get the same indicator on the Flash.

4. The lid on the Zip is solid black plastic, which gave up a rather unpleasant smell and taste the fist 3-5 times I used the Zip (both are gone now). The lid for the Sol is transparent orange - and has given up no apparent smell or taste. Having used the Zip a great number of times, I have never experienced that the lid fell off while pouring hot water through the spout or strainer - the lid on the Sol has fallen off every time I have tested it with boiling water so far. I really hope that this is due to mine being fitted with a somehow faulty lid - bacause this could cause you to get seriously burned when using the Sol in the field!

5. Both the Zip and the Sol share the same problem; when new the threading, which joins the pot to the burner, is so tight (especially when hot), that it is necassary to apply a great deal of force to disassamble the system, often causing boiling water to spill onto you hands. This problem, however, goes away with time and use.

Conclusion; A fancy ignition system (which will fail over time, auto ignition always does) and 45 g less is not a fair compensation for the fact that the Sol, in many ways, is lacking i quality when compared to the Zip - aswell as the fact that the Sol costs almost twice as much as the Zip!

My advice; the Jetboil system is a great system for anyone needing a lightweight, fast and efficient cooking system for boiling water for a quick brew or a boil in bag meal - but go for the cheaper Zip, Flash or PCS. The Sol systems are simply not worth the extra money!

Adam Savage
03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Great write up Jakob. very informative.

JEEP
04-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks.

I will ask for an exhange (due to the faulty lid and badly sewn neoprene cover). I am rather undecided whether to ask for a new Sol or go for a Flash though.

Adam Savage
04-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Only you can decide my friend. I'm sure your choice will be a well educated and well thought out one though.

jbrown14
05-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Wow, Jakob; I haven't read a review as thorough and well-written as that since I cancelled my "Backpacker Magazine" subscription a few years ago.

I agree with you about the rattling, it usually means pooly fitting pieces which will wear out faster than they should. It's even more annoying to me if the item rattles the entire time you are hiking with it in your pack. Drives me nuts...

Thanks for the write-up, I enjoyed reading it!

Josh

JEEP
05-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you gentlemen. You give me way too much credit though :)

JEEP
08-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I had a chat with our supplier of Jetboil products the other day, quite an interesting one actually:

1. The problem with the lid on the Sol is a general one(!) I am really having a hard time understanding how a succesful company like Jetboil can market a product with such an apparent design flaw. Especially when this product is supposed to be an updated high-end version of af product that doesn't have the same flaw. It really beats me. The 2012 version Sol should come with a redesigned lid.

2. They also agree that the neoprene cover on the Sol actually seems to be of a lower quality, both when it comes to materials, workmanship and insulation - though Jetboil claims that the materials and workmanship are the same for the neoprene covers on all their models, which they clearly are not. The 2012 version Sol should come with a nylon handle like the one on the Flash, Zip and PCS.

I will be getting a Flash instead of the Sol - and my advice to everyone who considers getting a Sol is; go for a Flash or wait for the 2012 version.

comanighttrain
08-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Joining the conversation a bit late but it seems to me that this is a very specialized piece of kit aimed at mountaineer/hiking types... Can one actually take the neoprene off the cup and use a regular fire?

JEEP
08-06-2011, 09:29 PM
That would most likely cause the flux ring to detach itself from the pot. I have seen that happen to the flux rings on Primus ETA pots used on fire or kept on the burner for too long.

The Jetboil is meant for heating water for hot beverages and boil in bag meals. It is very convenient, but also quite limited in it's use. I carry mine on day hikes for heating water for my tea - and on longer solo hikes for heating boil in bag meals or tinned meals.
I was sceptic when I first got the system, but now I am quite fond of it. The Jetboil will never replace my gasoline burners or cooking over fire for group hikes - but when going solo it is a very convenient and "clean" way of cooking your meals.

comanighttrain
09-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Seems pretty solid, whats the fuel efficiency like on it? may "need" one...

TinkyPete
09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
They are solid cookery for cooking boil in the bag meals and doing water which is what they were designed foe I find a small gas canister will last me a two week exercise or trek but I do carry a spare 100g canister just in case. After a trek my part filled canisters get used for a small latern I have so no wastage there. I find it good for that and efficient for that. For other normal cooking i have a multitude of other stoves to use but for work it is one light and efficient bit of kit that you cannot go wrong with as it is one unit that goes together well.:)

comanighttrain
09-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Cannae whack that really, I am always a bit anti gas cooker mechanisms as I have mental images of myself accidently puncturing the gas canisters and being left to enjoy cold food. Might get one of these at some point!

JEEP
14-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I got my Flash today; much better quality than the Sol!

The risk of puncturing a gas canister is quite small, they are quite sturdy.

claverhouse
20-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Interesting. I almost ordered a Jetboil Flash, partly because of the hype and partly because I found it on sale for £60 but 2nd ( OK 3rd! ) thoughts got the better of me. I'm not a massive coffee/tea drinker and a stove for me is for cooking so what I have done is ordered a Trangia gas convertor for £22 from the site I would have bought the Flash from , so I can give my meths burner a boost when needed.

FishyFolk
20-04-2012, 08:22 PM
It's called a Thermos. No messing around with gas bottles that you need to remeber to buy replacements for and all you have to do to get your brew in the forrest is push a button and hey presto, instant hot water....provided you rembered to warm some prior to leaving house...

For everything else, I use either a fire, or my Karrimor Gosystem flexi-fuel, either burning kerrosene (parafine) or bhutane if I can remember to pick up a box. There is always some form of kerosene in the shed..., and if push come to shove I could use gasoline off the car....

I know it's not the best. It's what they had in the shop when I needed one in a hurry before going to one of the crazy countries on 72 hours notice....And it has performed for me :-)

JEEP
20-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I have had my Jetboil Flash for quite a while now, before that I had a Jetboil Zip. For shorter hikes it has earned it's place as my "go to" stove - when bringing boil in bag meals, which I tend to do rather often. For longer solo/two person hikes I still prefer the versitality of a Trangia 27 w. gas burner.

On shorter overnight hikes I ususally bring my Bushcooker and a billycan along with the Jetboil. The Jetboil is more practical - and a lot less messy, but I like to use the Bushcooker as a small hearth for my camp, when setteling down for the night.
I usually cook breakfast and dinner on the Jetboil - and my supper on the Bushcooker.
One could argue that bringing along two cooking systems is overdoing it, but it works very well for me really - especially because both systems are very lightweight.

When hiking with more companions, I bring my trusty old Trangia 25 w. multifuel burner, a Trangia Triangle and a meths burner - as well as one of the large Trangia billycans, made to be used over fire, and in which the Trangia 25 fits perfectly. I may however, now that I have gotten my hands on a Primus OmniLite Ti, start bringing this, much lighter, system instead.

Jefferson
22-11-2012, 02:19 PM
I got a Jetboil flash for Christmas last year and have used it almost every time it have been out. Admittedly I would not of bought one if I hadn’t got it for Christmas, due to the price.

I think it is a great peace of kit, its stable if you use the stabilizing legs, but to be honest i don’t really put it down, I just hold it in my hand while it boils, that way my hands get nice and warm too :D

I have also used my friends Jetboil cooking pot and that was great. I have also cooked soup in my Jetboil a number of times and never had any problems controlling the heat. As for gas I have not really paid attention to how much it uses but I did at first find it hard to find one small enough to fit in the container.

But overall I really enjoy using my Jetboil, always easy to carry and never a problem to get it going. I very glad Santa brought me one last year :D

Cheers Dave :D

CanadianMike
22-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I got my SOL last winter as part of a knife trade (also got a second US 'Ranger Blanket'), and have used it for many things (including camping), to make pine tea to fill my 1.5L Nalgene bottle for quick use, used it to heat up vinegar outside (accidentally brought a pot just past simmer in the kitchen, totally fumigated the house, the gf wasn't impressed at all!) to patina knife blades, etc. I wouldn't have likely bought one, but figured it'd be handy to keep in my truck for emergencies so I accepted the trade. Don't regret it at all, although the handle on it is pretty useless.