PDA

View Full Version : Terra Nova Comp 1 or DD

Kingjonesy
23-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I'm tempted to buy a new tarp, looking at the Terra Nova Comp 1. I currently have a large 3m2 DD tarp, it's a bit on the big side and fairly heavy.

Does anyone use both here?

Cheers

Rich

Martin
23-12-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't use the Terra Nova but have got the DD 3x3 which is a pretty heavy bit of kit. I have a Terra Nova Laser tent which is light as a feather and a great bit of kit. In my opinion, if you can lose say 500g by using the Terra Nova I'd definitely go for it. Anything less than that seems a little extravagant considering the cost of the TN tarp.

Martin

jus_young
23-12-2013, 08:25 PM
If you were set on going for a Terra Nova, I would go for the Comp 2 http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis-bothies/all-tarps/competition-tarp-2/

Its a bit cheaper, more usable space and still lighter than the DD. The Comp 1 is just too small for a useful shelter, but then I like a bit of space which is why I use the DD 3x3 ;)

Kingjonesy
24-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks both, I've decided to keep the DD. Thanks for the advice!

Looking at getting a silk liner for my sleeping bag, mainly to give me a bit more warmth but also to keep it clean. Any recommendations? I'll probably only ever use it during winter as I use a cheap summer bag most year and save my expensive warm bag for the very cold months.

My bags rated to -5 limit and -22 extreme. Never been cold in it even at -7. But I've always used it in my tent and I'm planning a bivy camp in Jan so looking for ways to improve its warmth (if I need it).

Cheers

Rich

Merry christmas!!

sandstone john
26-12-2013, 01:05 PM
I have a DD 3m by 3m coyote brown for hammocking and a terra nova comp 1 for summer bivi camps. The TN is too small for winter camping in my opinion but the comp 2 would be ideal if you want to save weight and bulk.