PDA

View Full Version : Bow drill...

klause
01-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I know that people can easily post a link, but has anyone actually been successful in making a fire for themselves using the bow drill method ?
I am going to try it when i next go out into the woods with my son and wish to pick peoples brains who have actually done it themselves.

Please the more answers the better,,,,,Thank you Iain..

Notredame11211
02-02-2011, 12:20 AM
I haven't really tried since trees are a rare occurance up here, but it looks like a hard task

klause
02-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Wow James, you way up North there arnt you? - higher than greenland !

Just had a look and it looks pretty baron mate....i'll let you know how i get on & maybe i'll send you a branch for Christmas ! hehe..

Thank you for commenting James...

Mang
02-02-2011, 06:24 AM
I had my first successes with Willow...ember on go four and fire on go five. HTH.

Martin
02-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Ha! Check out Ashley's 'Seven Second Ember' video, where you see him actually produce an ember from only seven seconds of drilling.

At most of our meets, there is a bit of a bow drill session at some point and most people manage to get an ember, and consequently fire, sooner or later.

Martin

klause
02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I'll check out Ashley'e video Martin, then if i have any questions i'll be able to ask him.
Me and my boy are gona have to make the trip down south to see you fellas, would that be OK Martin you think?

klause
02-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I had my first successes with Willow...ember on go four and fire on go five. HTH.

I understood the Willow bit Mang lol. - could you explain:- 'ember on go four and fire on go five. HTH.'

Martin
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Iain, everyone is welcome to the group meets. Why not check out the Cornwall RV at Easter? There are dozens of bushcraft people there, most of whom are only too keen to share knowledge and skills.

If I may answer on behalf of Mang. I think he means that he failed on his first three attempts. On attempt four, he managed to get an ember but couldn't manage to get it to light his tinder bundle. Finally, on attempt five, it all came together and he got fire. (HTH means Hope This Helps)

HTH

Martin

leon-1
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Some people make bow drill look surprisingly easy, the main thing to remember is perseverance. There are many combinations of wood to use (one type of wood for the drill and another for the hearth board), however some sets can be made from all the same wood. As has been mentioned Willow can be a good set as will Ivy.

Ivy makes a very good hearth board in any respect and I get consistent success with it using both hazel and sycamore drills.

Bearing blocks can be made of all sorts, a block of wood, limpet shells, a stone off the beach and the socket joint on a piece of bone are all examples of things which are used for the bearing block on a regular basis, but that doesn't mean they are all the things that can be used, I have heard of bottle tops and shot glasses being used as well.

Decent bow strings are handy, some people use paracord, others use leather thong, others use lawnmower starter cord, personally I prefer climbing accessory cord.

The bow itself doesn't matter if it's bowed or straight to be honest, but the straighter it is I find it easier to control. Like wise if a bow is too long it will be more difficult to control and hence more tiring, if it's too short then you'll have to bow like a maniac to achieve a result. I tend to look at a bow that's the length of my arm to the wrist.

When you start off bowing start slow and steady, get a good rythm going and don't put too much pressure on the bearing block. After a short while you'll be able to increase the speed and the pressure on the bearing block and you'll have smoke. At this point you'll be creating small dark brown to black fibres, but you'll have to increase both the pressure and the speed to actually get the heat up to form the coal. Speed up, the smoke will start to spiral around the drill, hopefully around this point you'll have a coal formed.

Stop and gently remove the drill from the hearth, the coal should continue to smoke. At this point the coal will be delicate, use your hand to fan it gently (the moisture from your breath can effect the coal) and allow the coal to coalesce.

Here is where I take time to make the tinder bundle and it allows me to get my breath, I also introduce a piece of cramp ball to the scenario as it will work as an ember extender.

With the tinder bundle made gently dump the coal and the piece of cramp ball into the nest. With a long steady breath blow on the coal, hold the tinder bundle upright, you'll have to "feed" the coal by gently pushing more fuel towards the coal so that the heat can increase. The tinder will throw out a lot of smoke and the smoke will get denser before finally the bundle takes.

Don't mess around with a small tinder bundle, better to have the fuel there and not need it than to need it and not have it.

More than anything else keep practicing and good luck with it.

klause
02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks leon, that's extremely helpful.
I'm gona give it a go soon - i'll follow your info (also watched ashley's vid) i will let you know how i got on and where i went wrong/failed if i do fail (hope not).

leon-1
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
No problems, good luck with it.

The Big Lebowski
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Just watched the 7 second video, thats ace :)

I dont know what fungi species are local to you, but small sections of birch polypore and artists conk dried out for a few days also make great ember extenders along with cramp balls.

Regards, al.

klause
03-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Martin the Cornwall RV may tie in with my final exams (never mind 6-10hrs on the train).
So i was wandering if NB were having a summer meet?
Thanks....

HTH

Martin[/QUOTE]

Martin
04-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Martin the Cornwall RV may tie in with my final exams (never mind 6-10hrs on the train).
So i was wandering if NB were having a summer meet?
Thanks....

Probably...

Martin

klause
04-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Probably...

Martin

haha - definately maybe ?

MikeWilkinson
13-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I've put a link in the beginners bushcraft section for wild wood surival, there are some excellent tips on there. Including wood selection and different methods of making a hearth board. Mini drills, double drills, everything you need from basics to advanced skills.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?244-Resources-for-Budding-Bushcrafters-and-more-advanced-folk.